Bridge to 10K
6,554 members7,327 posts

Garmin Forerunner 35

Garmin Forerunner 35

Yesterday I collected my new gift to myself because I didn’t have a sports watch and I know a few of you have mentioned this one in your posts. I don’t think I will be monitoring my whole life on it, such as sleeping patterns etc so I will be mainly using it for sporting activities. I am not terribly techy so it will take a while to get to grips with it so just a few questions before I go running.

I have set up Bluetooth connection with my iPhone and I have set it to link with Strava which is also on my phone.

My normal procedure before running is start music, start Strava and then run. Do I now need to start music , start Strava and start run on the watch or does Strava pick it up automatically from the watch?

Is there anything you have worked out along the way which would be useful?

Your comments will be welcomed.

32 Replies
oldestnewest

You don't need strava anymore. Watch will synch via Bluetooth to the garmin connect app on phone once you have finished and saved the run the. Connect will then auto upload to strava.

2 likes

Thanks pinkaardvark , that’s good. It means I can put my phone in my belt before setting off on my run now.

1 like

If you have the Garmin Connect app on the iPhone you can link that to your Strava account and when you complete your run the watch will send it to your phone for Garmin Connect to process and then send on to Strava.

There should be a big manual available online if you google for it. The QuickStart manual for mine was minimal to say the least.

Enjoy it!

1 like

Thanks Jay , so does that mean I won’t get the audio announcments or alerts that Strava has been doing every 500m and I need to set up the information I want on the watch instead.

I have printed off the 18 page manual so will investigate more after the first run as sometimes you find out more by actually using it. But it doesn’t seem to say anything about the link to other software

2 likes

I presume so - Strava effecively won’t be running while you are. I don’t know that model but mine allows various custom alerts eg every Xm - I had this set to 500m but now 1k as there is another alert you can set for a turn around.

1 like

Thanks. Yes I think mine does that too. Off to the beach now, back to the manual later.

1 like

Very nice! Enjoy being a stats addict! X

1 like

I’m not sure I’ll be using it to it’s full potential Marvo69 but at least it’s easy to read while I’m running, and if I don’t have to play around with my phone in sunlight that’s all the better.

I've got that one Dexy but with a blue strap 😁 it's really easy to use - I'm useless with tech - and has really helped me with my pacing.

I did have a problem with it giving me pace per mile when everything else was set to km but with a bit of fiddling about in the menus managed to sort it.

I said I was only going to wear it for running but I like all the other stats it gives me. Sometimes I'll go for a random walk round the block if I've had a particularly sedentary day 😂

2 likes

Yes I’ve had to change everything to metric to so I hope I’ve captured it all. I liked the blue but JL price was very good but they only had white or black. I thought OH might be wanting the black one once he’d seen mine in action.

1 like

The straps are very cheap on amazon 7.99 for any colour you want for the 35. I have a few different ones for my fenix 5 as they just clip on in seconds.

3 likes

I thought that might be the case . I could have one for each running outfit.........joking, honest

2 likes

I would, 😁

1 like

Ooooooh!! Straight on it... ⌨️ 💷 📦 😬

1 like

Hi pianoteacher. Can you remember how you sorted this problem because UpTheStanley is having the same one. Thanks

I set it to imperial and then back to metric and it miraculously started working! If you go to my profile there's a thread on there - Garmin Tech Question - where someone posted a bit more info. I can't seem to link it here so hopefully you'll find it! x

1 like

Many thanks, we’ll try that too. I’ve used mine for 3 runs now and love it. I will be using it for hill walking in the Lakes next week so that will be interesting - especially elevation!

1 like

That’s exactly like mine! Love it. Yep as pink says it auto uploads to Strava as long as you’ve connected it to Strava. But the Garmin Connect app’s stats are much better than Strava -imo enjoy! 😊

2 likes

Yes I thought you had one Ripcurl. I’ve just used it for a walk so I’ll have a look on connect to see what it comes with. OH is checking mine out before he replaces his cheap Argos sports watch. He’s more into stats than me.

1 like

IF I’m still running at Xmas, will be asking for one from Santa aka husband. 😊🏃🏻‍♀️

1 like

I am sure you will be running at C.......... Dralimc. 🎁🎅🏻

1 like

I'm jealous Dexy. Good luck with all that tech.

Lovely watch ... I am probably less techy than you so I don’t have the answers but the watch looks really cool 😎

It will be good to be able to see my timing rather than rely on strava to tell me. I have been playing with it today, but it has its first run outing tomorrow.

1 like

Will be following your relationship with the garmin as so close to buying one but like you Dexy so not techy and have visions of unwrapping it and "then what" . So you might have to be my garmin tech teacher :) :)

He he . The great thing about this forum is there’s always someone who’s been there before you, so lots of advice

Looks great, Eileen! 😊😊 I’m reading for tips with interest. Decided not to get one in the Prime sale, but may get one of these later. I’d like to be able to start the run measurements and see distance etc on my wrist rather than fiddling with getting my phone in and out of my running belt zipped pocket...

2 likes

I did my first run with it this morning mountaindreamer . I started my music on my phone and put it in my belt and there’s a button on the watch which allows you to FF track etc. Then I pressed the button to say I wanted to run outdoors. It takes a few secs to find gps and then you click again when you start running. I thought I set it to alert me at 500m. I must’ve Done it wrong because it didn’t alert me till 1k. But on the watch you can see distance run, time run and current pace. I had also set HR max alert to 160 ie 220 minus my age. That proved to be annoying because after 3k it kept alerting me that I’d reached the max. The trouble is that is a fairly generic formula so next time I see doc I will ask advice but I think it’s often higher than that when running so i might raise the alert figure or switch it off. When I save the run it passed the info to Strava which I’ve used up to now. The Garmin Connect app also set out all the stats. So first day out the verdict is it’s a great watch. I bought it from John Lewis and it gave 2 yr warranty rather than Garmin 1 year warranty if you get it elsewhere but definitely shop around.

1 like

Check with your Dr, but I think you’re right about generic max pulserates. The cardiac dept even allow my max pacemaker setting to be a bit over it (175), and I’ve a fit friend about the same age as me who runs and cycles a lot who told me her pulse stays up at 195bpm for most of her run or cycle times.

If I was 50 it would be 170 using that formula but I think I’m quite a young 60 year old and obviously much fitter than a couch potato. I might just get a telephone consultation .

1 like

I got a garmin a few weeks ago! (Not in sale though!!!!) i find that’s the best thing not faffing about with my phone! Well worth it!! 😀

2 likes

You are so right and I was also getting fed up with Strava as I couldn’t rely on it. I didn’t even have a watch with a plastic strap so I had to get something.

You may also like...