virtual run with Maggie:: Sorry Hidden, i was... - Bridge to 10K

Bridge to 10K
11,559 members15,040 posts

virtual run with Maggie:

FlickM3
FlickM3Graduate10

Sorry Hidden, i was a bit late this morning. Does it still count? Anyway, here I am in my favourite capris from Sturdy by Design, post run and red in the face. You would think you could go out at 6.45am/ish without a hat or water wouldn't you? Wrong! Already hot. Consequently this was harder than it should have been.

Anyway, I went through the housing estate and along the footpath that goes across crop fields. I'm so sad that we have these dwarf wheat and barley varieties now. Corn used to tower above your head, but now it's barely knee height. Not very romantic. I don't know where they filmed the opening sequence of Gladiator, where his dead wife is trailing her hands through the corn in the Elysian fields of the afterlife, but it certainly wasn't here.

The footpath comes out on the single track road that I call the top of the world, then leads down to the road between Chipping Norton and Churchill. It's interesting to watch the changing seasons here in the countryside. The cow parsley and dog roses have gone. The verges are filled with purple thistles, the pale mauve flare of scabious, and masses of pink and white bramble blossom that promise a bumper crop of blackberries this autumn. And of course the hills are blonde with ripe wheat.

That was only a 5k run. I really want to do another long run but can't seem to coincide enough sleep with cooler hours. I especially want to increase my distance and do more regular 10k runs as I've entered the !0k race to raise money for British Heart Foundation, at Blenheim Palace on 30th September. I'm hugely excited about this. Now I know many of you are knocking out regular 10k races, half marathons etc, but this will be my first actual race and public run.

To get back to today, I had a five minute sit down and some water then had to go out with the dogs before it got too hot for them. It's quite fun going straight out after a run, as runners' high makes you power along and feel as if you could walk for the rest of the day.

Oh, and one more point: yet again my pace is brought slower by fumbling and fiddling to stop my watch at the end of the run. I've tried everything and it still keeps locking and unlocking the screen before I get the red stop square! so annoying!!!

18 Replies
oldestnewest
Empem
EmpemGraduate10

Good morning! What a lovely description of your terrain.All dry out there isn't it? But amazing what's flowering still.Managed to ramp up some speed today for my 5k but hope I won't be paying for it tomorrow.Have a lovely Sunday.

FlickM3
FlickM3Graduate10
in reply to Empem

Thank you :) Yes, dry as a bone. I feel sorry for the wildlife. But yes, still colour in the hedgerows. Well done on your speed increase in this heat!

Empem
EmpemGraduate10
in reply to FlickM3

Thank you.That was the latest I'd run I think, going slow in the sun, but bit faster in the shade.I like my Isis/ Kennington meadows route but would love some big views too.Top of the mornin' to you on top of the world.

FlickM3
FlickM3Graduate10
in reply to Empem

I'm hoping to be moved back to Oxford and running your routes soon. The last two runs I did there were from University Parks up to Headington via Morrell Avenue - hilly but not much in the way of views.

mountaindreamer
mountaindreamerGraduate10

Love your description - sounds gorgeous out there! 😊😊🏃‍♀️🏃‍♂️❤️

You’ve got me interested mentioning a BHF 10K, as that’s one of my favourite charities. Think I need to see how I go upping distance before I risk entering any official races, though. Then perhaps I’ll aim more locally first.

FlickM3
FlickM3Graduate10
in reply to mountaindreamer

Thank you, and it is! I did my first 10k in April I think, so I'm confident, especially as it's so hilly round here and the Blenheim Palace run is apparently hilly too. We shall see :)

mountaindreamer
in reply to FlickM3

Yikes...hills! No, I think I’ll be sticking to flat to start with! 😣😊

FlickM3
FlickM3Graduate10

Hills are good, they make you stronger :)

mountaindreamer
in reply to FlickM3

Haha...maybe, but don’t think the BHF would want me having heart issues during their charity event! All my pulse has come from pacemakers since my 20s, and current problems due to that mean my pulse rate can’t always go up enough when I exercise. I’ll be introducing hills very carefully later, and seeing what happens...😂

FlickM3
FlickM3Graduate10

In that case, respect. you are amazing x

Hidden
HiddenGraduate10

Hi Flick! So glad you made it ! No you weren’t at all late infact I thought I saw you ahead in those snazzy capris! It was you wasn’t it? Yes your right about the heat it was a tadge warmer and I think I went out later too which was maybe a wee mistake.

Anyway Flick once again you have given us beautiful photos and you that gladiator scene could have been shot there especially in the very middle of the corn. A Fab post also once again.👏👏

Hey Flick congrats on your race in September! I bet you are excited 👏👏

You do great I’m sure.

If you’ve read my post then you’ll know I nearly didn’t get out of bed this morning due to poor sleep or should I say it took a while to get off.😖😖

Anyway managed it ! I think I’m going to vary my route next time to explore some more!

You have spurred me on now Flick about entering another race. I did two last year but haven’t done any this year and wasn’t going too but your inspiration has made me think now!

Lovely to catch up again with you Flick! 😀😀

Rest day tomorrow and hair do on Tuesday so,probably out Wed if you would like to join me ? Anyhoo let me know.

Enjoy the rest of the weekend😀😀😀

FlickM3
FlickM3Graduate10

Yes i read and commented on your run. Fab as ever :) I'm a race virgin so you will have to give me some advice. and if it was me in front, you wouldn't be able to miss me in those capris!

I probably will join you Wednesday - de[ends on the sleep situation xxx

Hidden
HiddenGraduate10
in reply to FlickM3

Hi Flick sorry I’ve just read your post now! Hope you join me Wed.look forward to it😀😀

So advice from me about the race. Well I think maybe there are runners here on this forum who are better qualified to give you advice. But all I will say is don’t be worried about others,give yourself plenty of time to prepare yourself,don’t start off too fast,have plenty of water,and you know Flick just enjoy the whole experience. You’ll do great I’m sure and you’ll have a blast🏃‍♀️🏃‍♀️😀

Might see you Wed? ❤️X

FlickM3
FlickM3Graduate10
in reply to Hidden

Thanks Maggie. I value your advice because we run at a similar pace and in similar terrain and because you're my mate :)

Hope to see you Wednesday for a cross country run to try out my new trail shoes x

Hidden
HiddenGraduate10
in reply to FlickM3

Ahh.......Thats so kind of you to say Flick and after all that’s what mates are for❤️ Hope to see you in your new trail shoes on Wed. Is it realitively easy to run cross country Flick? I’ve only done it a couple of times across the field after the bluebell wood and I found it hard. How do you do it?

Hey Flick hair do day tomorrow. I’m having a cut and blow dry. I did think about shaving it all off ,one it would be cooler and two it would help me run faster ???🤣🤣🤣.But this picture came to mind🐖! hee! hee!

Hey ! Any pics of new trail shoes?🤓

See you Wed.”Trotters away”xx

FlickM3
FlickM3Graduate10
in reply to Hidden

Haha, last cross country run I followed a footpath and promptly got lost - that was the 11k in the heat run over fences, up and down potholed hilly bits and back along a nerve wracking stretch of road with fast traffic and no proper verges.

I just posted about the trail shoes with a pic, plus posted a few days ago with a pic too x

Richard7
Richard7Graduate10

Well done Flick sounds a lovely place to run if it wasn't for your local hills and dales. You are brave signing up for a run I still haven't ventured to the world of Parkruns!! 😳 I am sure you will do great. This heat is nasty but at the same time it is nice not to be running in the rain.

FlickM3
FlickM3Graduate10

I love the hills and dales. I hated them at first but I think it was Oldfloss who told me I would come to appreciate them and I do. I actually love the heat too but I’ve learned that I need to be prepared to run in it: water and a hat! My daughter is doing Blenheim too so I won’t feel alone, even though she will vanish over the horizon leaving me to plod onbehind her. I’m really glad I’m doing it and have raised over half my target figure already.thank goodness for Facebook 😂

You may also like...