I sinned and ran 2 consecutive days, (please... - Bridge to 10K

Bridge to 10K
11,546 members15,030 posts

I sinned and ran 2 consecutive days, (please shout at me if I'm posting too much - I don't want to bore you all):

FlickM3
FlickM3Graduate10

Well, I was disappointed in yesterday's run when I was just too tired to do the distance I set out to do. And after all, it was only one and a quarter km yesterday. Anyway, I'm waiting for my calves to explode, my knees to give way and skinflints to attack my shins, but so far all I feel is a sense of well being and a dose of runner's high.

Jolly chilly it was too at 6.30am. The sun was like strobe, very low, flashing intermittently through the trees so that it was hard to see the path ahead. Part of my route today was an old saltway, a very magical, broad path linking two main roads. Green corn tipped with gold in the fields either side, pigeons exploding away from the trees like gunshots then heading away from me with a whir of wings. Just me, and silence overlaying the distant sound of traffic. Such a sense of ancientness. This is the kind of run I dreamed of when I began c25k; the kind I had in my teens exploring the Herefordshire countryside, walking and running for hours - when I wasn't galloping around on horseback or pedalling around on my bike.

I WAS tired again today, largely because I woke in the night and took ages to get back to sleep, and the first part of the run, up a long, steady slope out of town, was quite daunting - but I had more push than yesterday and ran through the tiredness. I'm so glad I did. I felt cheated by such a short run before. A few months ago I would have struggled to do 1km - now it hardly seems worth getting out of bed for.

My VO2 Max has gone up again over the last two runs, and I'm managing to keep my heart rate down so that I'm no longer running mostly in the red zone.

Now I'm going to have an actual shower for a change. The lady from Thames Water came yesterday and fitted water saving shower heads to our two showers. I couldn't use the one in the bathroom before as it enthusiastically hit the wall and the ceiling and the floor. Now it just dribbles in your general direction so I should be ok.

47 Replies
oldestnewest
Hidden
HiddenGraduate10

Well done FlickM3, it's another 5k in the bank for you! And really really well done for pushing through the tiredness, and for knowing that it was the right thing to do. I'm interested btw, how do you actually measure your VO² Max? That sounds like a useful measurement to have...

FlickM3
FlickM3Graduate10
in reply to Hidden

Thanks Neil, though i really want to push beyond 11k but keep getting thwarted by circumstances. My Garmin measures my VO2 Max, though apparently it's only an estimate. You are supposed to measure on a treadmill with an oxygen mask, being pushed to the limit till you are almost dead! But the Garmin assessment is still useful as it does give some indication of fitness as it fluctuates up and down. For example, mine has gone up since I got my heart rate down so that I'm not running at maximum all the time. It is also dependant on age and gender. Mine is currently 32, which would be abysmal for someone in their forties, it apparently puts me in the top 15% for my age and gender and gives me a fitness age 18 years younger than my actual age.

MikeJones68
MikeJones68Graduate10

Nice run , Flick. And no, I enjoy your posts. You have continued whereas I have stopped because all my posts were the same. Yours on the other hand are all beautifully written :)

FlickM3
FlickM3Graduate10
in reply to MikeJones68

Thank you Mike. With running posts, you have to pick out the details. People who run purely to improve, for example, can be so focused on their stats that they don't notice what's going on around them. I run primarily for enjoyment (though i'm totally fascinated by the stats after the event) and i don't run to music, so I take in all the details: what's happening in nature, the change in the seasons, the animals, birds, trees, sun or cloud or whatever. But I'm always fascinated to read other people's stats and improvement and how they felt during that run. x

MikeJones68
MikeJones68Graduate10
in reply to FlickM3

I find the runs with the club at work are focused on pace etc., whereas my Thursday afternoon run is a bit more relaxed and I can explore the area a bit. I loved running on holiday, without music, as I got to see things that I'd have missed otherwise.

FlickM3
FlickM3Graduate10
in reply to MikeJones68

You should post both types of runs. I might run for joy, but I'm a total geek when it comes to stats ;)

GoGo_JoJo
GoGo_JoJoModerator

I think you'll be forgiven for 2 days on the trot as the first was very short... practically a warm up for you 👍😉

Post away, we all love reading posts!!! 😁👍

My vo2 max went up by another point last night. It does make you feel like you're really improving all the time. Its a good motivator. I also had a message saying I got +4 on condition... but I still haven't found where to check out that part. All helps keep us going though!

FlickM3
FlickM3Graduate10
in reply to GoGo_JoJo

Yes, what i thought :)

Yes, I find the VO2 Max useful and motivating, even if it isn't entirely accurate. Are you using a Garmin? I've never encountered the condition scoring - though I'm plagued by the silly badges.

pinkaardvark
pinkaardvarkGraduate10
in reply to GoGo_JoJo

The condition gets calculated dynamically during the first part of the run, mine seems to do it after 900metres as it usually pops up just before the first km, but I have had it take longer. I think it measures the variability of your heart rate to work how how well recovered you are. You can look at how it deteriorates over the run in garmin connect. it ranges from -20 to +20 though it's very unusual to get much above or below -10 to 10, if it says -15 stop and seek immediate medical assistance, if it says -20 it's too late your already shuffling along with the walking dead hehe

GoGo_JoJo
GoGo_JoJoModerator
in reply to pinkaardvark

Brilliant, thank you!! Fortunately 4 is the highest gained, usually 2. I think I lost 2 on one hard run but I'll watch out for any big drops now!!! 🤣🤣

pinkaardvark
pinkaardvarkGraduate10
in reply to GoGo_JoJo

mine is often 4-6. I did see a 10 one time and I felt like I was on fire, did a PB 5k and it showed at the end my heart rate didn't get out of zone 3. It didn't feel like that though so I reckon the HR sensor sometimes gets a confused signal because of sweat or band not being tight enough. May invest in a chest strap one at some point :)

FlickM3
FlickM3Graduate10
in reply to pinkaardvark

Ah, mine was all above the line today, up to +5.

GoGo_JoJo
GoGo_JoJoModerator
in reply to pinkaardvark

I agree. They all need to be taken with a pinch of salt. I did try a chest strap a couple of times but I found it uncomfortable so that's why I went with the Garmin as their wrist hrm is supposed to be pretty accurate as they go.

FlickM3
FlickM3Graduate10
in reply to GoGo_JoJo

Having bosoms does restrict what you can comfortably wear across your chest. DC Rainmaker's review of the Fenix 5 series (which Pink and i have) put the HRM at pretty accurate but slower to come down than the chest strap.

FlickM3
FlickM3Graduate10
in reply to pinkaardvark

oh, so that's what that -3 and -+4 etc are that come up during the run. i thought it was something to do with reaching sea level and couldn't understand it, seeing as how hilly it is round here ... duh ... Is that the grey chart on the last page of run stats in Connect?

pinkaardvark
pinkaardvarkGraduate10
in reply to FlickM3

yep that's the one.

pinkaardvark
pinkaardvarkGraduate10

Great run and writeup Flick. Will you be out again tomorrow :)

FlickM3
FlickM3Graduate10
in reply to pinkaardvark

better not as I'm an old lady and have only been running 9 months this time around. anyway, TedG will get cross with me if I do, and I don't want to upset him cos he's lovely ;)

TedG
TedGGraduate10

You never bore me Flick, I wish I could write like that, you’re an inspiration 😊

I’ll forgive you for running back to back....this time! 🤪

Good run btw Flick 😎

FlickM3
FlickM3Graduate10
in reply to TedG

Aw, thank you Ted. I'm thriving on running every other day - with a couple of days rest sometimes after longer runs. It was so much cooler here today. That 11k across country in the mid morning heat last week was really tiring.

TedG
TedGGraduate10
in reply to FlickM3

I bet it was Flick, If this heatwave continues, I may have to drive to your neck of the woods for a run. I’m sure there must be some flat bits somewhere 😊

FlickM3
FlickM3Graduate10
in reply to TedG

Seriously, come over and run with me. I know it isn't flat but it IS a tad cooler (maybe) - though I will slow you down.

ju-ju-
ju-ju-Administrator

Well done, you have been running for a while now, and if you feel OK running on 2 consecutive days should be OK... rest the leggies now and have a good day :)

FlickM3
FlickM3Graduate10
in reply to ju-ju-

I just thought with being so ancient, that it might need more time, but actually I feel brilliant - energised and really good. \anyway, yesterday's run was only a piddly little thing ;)

Ripcurlrana71
Ripcurlrana71Graduate10

Yesterday’s run was just a warm up so doesn’t count. 😉 Good run today and lovely post! 😊

FlickM3
FlickM3Graduate10
in reply to Ripcurlrana71

Thank you :) Yes, just a warmup yesterday - my Garmin said I only needed four hours recovery :)

Ripcurlrana71
Ripcurlrana71Graduate10
in reply to FlickM3

😬😬

limberlou
limberlouGraduate10

Ahh you’re the first person who has managed to explain VO2 so I have some vague idea of what it is and why it changes. I knew larger number was good but not why it changed. mine has gone up throughout my running but then occasionally down and always seems to be after what I considered a better run, so perhaps my heart rate was higher then and that’s why. And now that I’ve settled to just running how I feel like running it’s stayed steady at 34, which is a lot better than the 18 when I started in March.

FlickM3
FlickM3Graduate10
in reply to limberlou

Yes, mine was abysmal when i first started running. I'm pretty pleased with 32, which is excellent for a 71 year old woman apparently. It does seem to react to the maximum heart rate. My last two runs have been half in the next zone down, even though I was tired, and the VO2 Max has stayed gone up and stayed up. It does fluctuate within a point up or down.

limberlou
limberlouGraduate10

Where are you seeing the zones for the heart rate ? On the App? I have a Garmin 30 so not one of the more bells and whistles ones but seems to do the trick for me. Except I must gave broken the stardom when I fell as it slid apart when I got home ☹️

My VO2 has popped up to 35 once and down to 33 once with annoyed me but now seems to have settled at 34 which is pretty good got 65 too 😁but annoys my daughter no end as hers is much lower and she is faster than me. But I said i thought it was because she pushes herself to the limit so her HR is higher. Looks like I was right.

I enjoy reading your posts too so keep me up please Flick

FlickM3
FlickM3Graduate10

I would do screenshots but you can’t add photos on comments. On the screen for the run, like I’ve posted here, keep swiping the pages from right to left, then scroll down to the bottom of the page and you will see the heart rate graph - if it’s the same as with my Fenix 5s.

limberlou
limberlouGraduate10
in reply to FlickM3

Yeah I can see the HR graph but doesn’t tell me what zone

ah Flick. We are so lucky to have your writings. And hurrah for showers!

FlickM3
FlickM3Graduate10

Oh thank you. I feel the same about all of you. As for showers, usually I like to soak in the bath, but I felt strangely invigorated after my shower today so maybe I should change my ways, especially after the little lecture from Ms Thames Valley water yesterday 🤨

GoGo_JoJo
GoGo_JoJoModerator
in reply to FlickM3

I'm a bath girl too. Can't be doing with showers. Even a shallow bath is better! 🤣 and actually it takes me that long in a shower I reckon my bath saves water!! 👍😁

FlickM3
FlickM3Graduate10
in reply to GoGo_JoJo

I like having stuff to soak in. And I don’t understand how you can get various tucked away bits properly clean in the shower. Plus I had to apply my olive oil topically instead of just soaking in it 😕

Irishprincess
IrishprincessGraduate10

I can't believe you do what you do Flick on so little sleep. Almost every post of yours mentions a poor night's sleep. I feel for you as I use to suffer from insomnia and it was dire, feeling like death every day and no energy for anything. I eventually used an online CBT tool and it sorted me out. If you're interested I'll send you the link.

Anyway, super well done on the run and no, you could never be boring so post away to your little heart's content 🙂

FlickM3
FlickM3Graduate10

Haha, does the cognitive behavioural therapy deal with being kept awake by mr I don’t snore?

And thank you. I always think people must be groaning and saying here she goes again!

Irishprincess
IrishprincessGraduate10
in reply to FlickM3

Have just seen this reply!

It does suggest a quiet room for starters! A different room? Different husband? 😂😂😂

FlickM3
FlickM3Graduate10
in reply to Irishprincess

Cant sleep with him can’t sleep without him 😊 he’s going through a heavy patch at work, coming up to retirement, thinking of dropping one day a week (which, in his case, means he’ll do the same hours and get paid less).when things settle, he will stop being restless and tossing himself onto his back, which sets off the snoring. It’s annoying because sleep is fine the first half to two thirds of te night, then the snoring starts around 4ish. I’m a light sleeper so it’s difficult to get back to sleep. It isn’t as bad as your situation was because I can at least sleep during te day if I need to.

Irishprincess
IrishprincessGraduate10
in reply to FlickM3

At least you see an end to the situation and you can still run!

FlickM3
FlickM3Graduate10
in reply to Irishprincess

Losing sleep bothers me less now I’m older. If it’s really bad, then I can’t run, but mostly I manage and sometimes I go back to bed or fall asleep on the sofa. This too shall pass 😊

Sarakc
SarakcGraduate10

I think you are doing brilliantly! I love reading about your runs! When I’m out running I create a post in my head but when I come to write it I just can’t seem to put it into words!!!

I love the stats too but I’m a wee bit concerned about low heart rate! RHR is 46 but it has gone as low as 32! If I was a super fit athlete I’d understand but I’m a 53 almost 54 year old woman!!😀

FlickM3
FlickM3Graduate10
in reply to Sarakc

My resting heart rate is 53- 58 (which is super fit for my age), it went down to 44 yesterday. either we are getting very fit indeed, or the Garmin just has a blip once in a while. Or we are zombies - now there's a thought!

Sarakc
SarakcGraduate10
in reply to FlickM3

Ha ha!!! I feel like a zombie sometimes!! Perhaps we are just super fit!! I feel well enough! I’ll enjoy my holiday and if I’m still alive and I’m worried I’ll get checked out although I can imagine doctor rolling eyes at these Garmin watches! Not good for the hypochondriac!!!😂

FlickM3
FlickM3Graduate10
in reply to Sarakc

I’m positive it’s nothing to worry about 😊

FlickM3
FlickM3Graduate10
in reply to Sarakc

Meant to say, when you write, just write it as if you are describing it to someone. anyway, I don't know what the problem is, your posts are excellent.

You may also like...