Bridge to 10K
6,795 members7,601 posts

The thing to remember when you do Parkrun

Is to take your barcode. Hubby and I were excited about doing Parkrun this morning as it was his 50th. I pinned a “Big 50” banner on his vest and we took everything we needed for during and after the run, or so we thought. It was when they were explaining where the funnel was and where the barcode scanning was that the penny dropped, my barcode on a lanyard was still hanging on the wardrobe door. I decided I was still going to do it and I’d find out my position even if it wasn’t recorded .

The fast runners sped off and from the back I set Strava and played the theme from Chariots of Fire. Very inspirational. I was going to walk for a few minutes but the photographer was at the start this week so I started trotting straight away. I had walked to the prom so I decided I was warmed up.

I ran for 4k then decided to walk for .5k so that I could run in. It was at this point that hubby arrived to get the front door key off me. Having completed his run, he intended to run home to get his bar code (and mine he found out). What a pair! This is what happens when you pass 60!

I set off running again and went all the way to the finishing line. When I finally extricated my phone from the armband , logged in and stopped Strava, I’d done 40:40. Is there a way of avoiding losing time like this?

Hubby ran back before the last runners came in so we were able to hand in our tokens. What a hero 🏃‍♂️

Parkrun had me down as 40:50 and 366 out of 385.

Yippee my 1st solo Parkrun since IC and I’m very pleased with that.

Hubby then volunteered us to put 385 tokens in order, which is no mean feat! So I managed to get recorded for both running and volunteering on the same day.

It was a hot one today but I loved it! I seem to have been drinking water ever since.

31 Replies
oldestnewest

Brilliant! Very well done Dexy and what a star your hubby is. 😬😬😬

1 like

He is. He will probably fall asleep in his dinner this evening. I’ve now put duplicates of our barcodes in the bag he takes down with water, towel etc. We are not going to do that again. I think some people put a copy under their insole, but not sure if mine are removable.

1 like

Great time too in this heat! 💪🏼

1 like

🏃‍♂️⭐️

There should be a setting called auto pause or something so the app automatically stops when you stop. There is on MapMyFitness and Apple Watch fitness

Well done though! 👍🏽

Found it: support.strava.com/hc/en-us...

1 like

Thanks Tasha, I’ll definitely check that out as I think it will make my runs look even better

1 like

Yes all set up now so I’ll test it out on my next run. Thanks for the advice

1 like

If you stop to cross a road or anything in your run, it’ll pause and then restart on its own too

1 like

Absolutely brilliant ..Well done dexy 😊I put a spare barcode behind my phone if you have it in a cover it works great ..😊

2 likes

Yes I’ll put one there too, along with key and cash for post run cafe. We’ll have barcodes everywhere 🤣

Well done!

1 like

Thanks Jay, we are lucky to have a Parkrun on the doorstep (1.6k away to be precise) but I like the idea of being a Parkrun tourist. To the flat ones anyway 😎

1 like

Something I’m thinking of doing. Sadly I have inherited the family cat which clips my wings a bit.

There’s always the automatic cat feeder. 😹

1 like

Good plan. More running kit I need!

I did my second parkrun last week and being a good boy my barcode is laminated and I remembered it yeah. She who must be obeyed did her first parkrun with me and decided to tuck her paper one into her bra and by the end had 'sweated it off' ho-hum hehe 😁

2 likes

Oh no, I’m not sure that would be very comfortable either! 🤣

😂

Well done you! Superb to have, is it 3, Parkruns under your belt. I have yet to do number one! Keep it up! Further congratulation! 🎉🎉🎉 you runner you! 😊 And well done to your hubby, 50 Parkruns, wow, wow, wow!! 🏃‍♀️🏃

1 like

Thanks. Yes it is fun and I deliberately chose some slower music today so I didn’t get too carried away. It was nice chatting to folks as i pass by too. Hubby ran 3.2k extra to retrieve the passes!

Please give him a medal 🥇 from me!

1 like

I’ve just ordered a wrist band actually as I had my barcode in my phone cover but now I don’t need my phone as get music through my watch

parkrun-barcode.com/

Yes I suggested that but hubby said he always had trouble scanning them when he was volunteering . I’m sure they wouldn’t sell them if that’s the case , could be zapper error! We think we’ll go for the credit card version which is sturdier than my printed cards. I don’t think we’ll ever forget it again 😬

1 like

I went for the flat band and the small laminated ones as backup.

I have a laminated one attached to the laces of my right shoe as a permanent reminder of THAT run whenever I am running (“however bad it feels, it isn’t that bad”) and another on my key ring.

Thanks Jay, we’ve just ordered the combo of the plastic card and 3 tags. A great idea to put a tag on your shoes. I can just visualise the fun in getting it zapped.

1 like

Just a minor plea from an occasional bar code scanner - please don’t have your bar code on your shoe if you also have a dog! Unexpected face licks are not ideal 😝

1 like

Good advice SueKen. Is that the voice of experience? Shoe tag is purely in case of emergency! 👟🐕🏃‍♀️🏃‍♂️

Oh yes! Once tried, never repeated!!!

I had the vision of trying to raise my foot to zapping level. Or having to take my shoe off - I never thought someone would actually expect you to stoop down to the foot!

Do you have Bluetooth earphones too Tasha. The spaghetti is beginning to annoy me.

Yes! They’re great! I kept knocking the wires on my wired ones 😂

Mine were £15 or so off amazon

You may also like...