I think that slowly slowly I'm getting faster: - Bridge to 10K

Bridge to 10K
9,619 members12,270 posts

I think that slowly slowly I'm getting faster:

FlickM3
FlickM3Graduate10
56 Replies

I've noticed that my average pace is now hovering just above or just below 9min/km. I know that must sound pathetic to all you people knocking out 5 and 6min/km runs, but I'm an old bird with a weak leg and I'm running hilly routes, so I'm pleased it's getting faster, even if I am still running like a snail. Ooh, and my VO2 Max has gone up to the top 15% for my age again! Yay!

I've cut half the annoying brim off my hat, and I remembered to wear it today. Just as well. It was 18 degrees for that run. When I took the hat off at the end, the sun beat down on my head like the proverbial anvil, so it definitely makes a difference. I got a lady hosing her garden when I passed to spray me. Blessed relief.

I'm very frustrated as I would like to top my 11.18km furthest run, but with it being so hot, I don't want to risk getting the heatstroke thingy again and be stranded in the middle of nowhere and unable to get home, so it looks like 5k/ish runs for a while, unless i manage to wake up early after enough sleep. Boo ....

But other than heat etc. it was a really nice run today: just along the London road out of Chippy, then cut across the Saltway (which is wonderfully shady) and back into town along the Banbury road. You can't see the traffic because the path runs between tall grasses, clover and oxeye daisies that rise above head height in places with the path sunk between. I had to dive into all that greenery at one point to let a cyclist pass. I'm not sure how she managed to navigate without getting her spokes snarled up. I was a little drained by heat and lack of sleep (as per usual!), but I'm really glad I ran.

56 Replies
oldestnewest
pinkaardvark
pinkaardvarkGraduate10

Good to hear your getting faster. Yes it will be scorchio again today. Hoping to get up at the crack of dawn again tomorrow to avoid it all.

2 likes
FlickM3
FlickM3Graduate10
in reply to pinkaardvark

I was going to get up at 5.30 when i first woke, but I was groggy and needed a bit more sleep. Have you noticed we now have deep, light and REM sleep, like a Fitbit. It's horribly inaccurate though. It had me awake the other morning when i know i was dreaming and asleep.

pinkaardvark
pinkaardvarkGraduate10
in reply to FlickM3

I did wonder what the garmin 9.2 firmware included. But to be honest I totally ignore the sleep trackimg as it often thinks I have gone to bed when i'm on the sofa in the evening so it always thinks i'm well rested even though I have had 5 hours or less lol.

1 like
FlickM3
FlickM3Graduate10
in reply to pinkaardvark

It's usually roughly in the right place for me, unless i get disturbed around midnight, in which case it doesn't count the hours before midnight as sleep.

MikeJones68
MikeJones68Graduate10

Great work, young Flick. You will get faster as your fitness improves. It doesn't matter what speed you go at, as long as you go :)

2 likes
FlickM3
FlickM3Graduate10
in reply to MikeJones68

Yes, but i like running faster, it's more exhilarating. If I drove, i would want a sports car. I have a hand-built audax bike in the shed and used to want to overtake everyone else. Actually it's a good thing i can't drive: i probably would have killed myself by now!

2 likes
MikeJones68
MikeJones68Graduate10
in reply to FlickM3

LOL. We seem to have something in common with that :)

1 like
FlickM3
FlickM3Graduate10
in reply to MikeJones68

;)

1 like
MikeJones68
MikeJones68Graduate10
in reply to FlickM3

I mean with the speed thing. I do drive and do have a sports car ;)

1 like
FlickM3
FlickM3Graduate10
in reply to MikeJones68

That was what I thought you meant :)

1 like
Tbae
TbaeGraduate10
in reply to FlickM3

Hi Flick,

I am with you and we are in similar age bands, I think.?

Sorry, never enquire about a ladies age.

I have been stuck in 1st gear.lol.

Three light bulb moments I think for me,

1) Pink, above said, in order to run faster you have first to run fast.?

2) our brains are so locked into perfecting our routines, like long easy even paced running, that we find it difficult to break out and make our brain understand we want something different.We perhaps demand something different.? lol.

3) I accept the wisdom of the informed that tell me and records show that a male in a 75- 80 age band can run 5k PARKRUN in 28 mins.All other obvious factors considered of course.Individual medical status and which terrain. Etc.

All the other requirements are right here,knowledge,programmes,motivational and emotional support on this great forum.

It just leaves the personal desire, hard work and application and enjoyment of course.

As long as you go,I agree.

Take care of you.

Love your posts.

1 like
FlickM3
FlickM3Graduate10
in reply to Tbae

I’m glad you enjoy the posts 😊 I’m 71 and female. Actually I’m running as fast as I can. I’m in the maximum heart rate zone for most of the time on most of my runs. I was never fast in my youth. Also I have a weak left leg from fractured femur when I was 19. What happens with that is that you get wasting of the affected leg. I have a hollow on the inside of my thigh above the knee, and the calf is thinner than the one on my other leg. Running has strengthened it and the calf is built up now, but the thigh muscle isn’t. I think this is because im having to,use an elasticated bandage on the knee, which was split to the bone and needs support, and that seems to be restricting the muscle from developing fully. Add to this the fact that I’m allergic to the dog and have to use an inhaler before a run, and it’s a recipe for snails pace I’m afraid, LOL. What a poor old duck I am 😂😂😂

But ... I seem to be getting faster. Yay! You are probably potentially far faster than me, but we shall see 😊

3 likes
Tbae
TbaeGraduate10
in reply to FlickM3

Yes you are amazing and a courageous runner, very well done you .

Something else you said about in conflict with traffic, made me laugh, but only in the way you described that and escaping to hedges lol.

Not really funny and I probably like you, cannot believe the volume of traffic,even in once remote places.

Take care of you.

1 like
FlickM3
FlickM3Graduate10
in reply to Tbae

Well, I don’t know about courageous LOL you haven’t heard me squeak before throwing myself into the nearest ditch when the cars come round the bend! Luckily I can run without seeing a car if I pick the right time of day, but woe betide me if I go during the dash to the nearest station for work, or the school run😳

1 like
FlickM3
FlickM3Graduate10
in reply to Tbae

PS Tbae I think we approach running from very different perspectives. You seem very goal orientated. I just run for love of running, don’t really looks at stats on my watch till I get back, except to see what my pace was for each split as my watch buzzes the kilometres. I’m endlessly fascinated by all the stats but am not seeking to work on various factors particularly.

1 like
Tbae
TbaeGraduate10
in reply to FlickM3

Yes Flick,difficult to change stuff and who we are.

Techie dinasaur, do not have a runners watch or very much else , just a love of running and outdoors and very much a novice at a fairly late stage maybe.

Not big on stats, unless they can help to clarify something.

Got to have a use or they are of no use.

Run because we can.Enjoy.

1 like
FlickM3
FlickM3Graduate10
in reply to Tbae

I love the techy side of things 😊

1 like
Nannymo30

Well done, that’s great. I’m doing around 9.5 to 10 per km, so you are faster than me!! The best thing is that I don’t feel shattered afterwards now like I did at first.

1 like
FlickM3
FlickM3Graduate10
in reply to Nannymo30

Thank you. I agree about the shattered thing. I think nothing of a 10k run now, and 5k I would count as a shortish run. i can remember when running 2k was cause for celebration and required a good long rest after.

1 like
Nannymo30
Nannymo30
in reply to FlickM3

Well done to getting to 10K I’ve only just graduated from C25k so slowly making my way to 5k. I’m up to 4k now. I feel like I could do more but don’t want to push too much yet.

1 like
FlickM3
FlickM3Graduate10
in reply to Nannymo30

yes consolidate your 5k runs for a while. I've gone as far as about 11 and a quarter k, but I'm running out of places to go further, and it's too hot.

pinkaardvark
pinkaardvarkGraduate10
in reply to FlickM3

there's always laps :)

1 like
FlickM3
FlickM3Graduate10
in reply to pinkaardvark

I kind of like just running and keeping going. You getbinto a steady rhythm and kind of zone out. Anyway, laps would probably kill me😂

pinkaardvark
pinkaardvarkGraduate10
in reply to FlickM3

My local park run is over two laps and that is ok, but i can't comprehend doing something like 10k and then getting to the end of the lap and having to face it all over again. It's so much easier to go away from home and then wend your way back.

1 like
FlickM3
FlickM3Graduate10
in reply to pinkaardvark

I really hope we get back to Oxford soon so I can do park runs. We don’t even have a park here ☹️

1 like
pinkaardvark
pinkaardvarkGraduate10
in reply to FlickM3

Your whole county is a big park though, they have parks in places that need to let the slum dwellers see the trees hehe

2 likes
FlickM3
FlickM3Graduate10
in reply to pinkaardvark

Yes, and I’m the only one running in it!

pianoteacher
pianoteacherGraduate10

Run sounds lovely Flick! I've been on lots of walks to find new routes and the area I live in has a lot more "nature" than I thought. The only problem is a lot of the footpaths are not well maintained so I'm not sure they are viable as complete runs. How is it I'm your area? x

1 like
FlickM3
FlickM3Graduate10
in reply to pianoteacher

even the roadside paths are now perilously overgrown. i get stinging nettle rash most days. the footpaths across country are mostly better, but I think the ramblers are very proactive about keeping them open. My problem is safe roads to get to them. The traffic here speeds round the very many bends on single track roads. gulp. i spend my time leaping into the hedgerows ...

pianoteacher
pianoteacherGraduate10
in reply to FlickM3

Oh no that sounds scary! I think I'm just going to have to accept that if I run cross country (and that is what I'd really like to do) I'm going to have to walk the sections that can't be run. There seem to bit bits that are really good and clear (which dog walkers use I would imagine) and bits that are so overgrown it difficult to even walk through! x

1 like
FlickM3
FlickM3Graduate10
in reply to pianoteacher

That’s what I’ve found here,you almost have to walk in sections. One of my favourite runs takes me along the path that borders the main Stratford road before turning off for the villages. Earlier in t(e year it wasn’t too bad, though the tarmac is badly broken up, but now I’ve abandoned it as it really is impossible to,run along and I hate walking for part of my runs, unless it really is across country with gates etc.x

1 like
HeleneCorsa
HeleneCorsaGraduate10

Sounds like you are doing great! It is so important to modify your expectations when it is hot. I have discovered that here - obviously it's continually hot for a good number of months and though I may be accustomed to it in my daily life, I don't like running in the heat. Last year I went out running at 6 each morning just to grab that very short daylight phase when it hadn't yet reached 30 degrees... It saps your energy beyond belief and you really do have to be careful about heatstroke, which can creep up on you and knock you sideways later. Also make sure that hydrating yourself is something you do around the clock, every day, running or not.

2 likes
mrrun
mrrunGraduate10
in reply to HeleneCorsa

Hey Helene! Yeah, heat and running can be awkward friends. During my 15K run on Saturday it got to a point where I deliberately slowed down, almost a minute per km slower than I do comfortably, hydration or not. This morning at 6 it was beautiful on a different scale, warm and manageable. But, after all, I must admit, I am one of those who absolutely adores sunshine and warm weather. As much as love running in the rain, or don't mind dark and cold, the heat IS me! If you get the right mix of correct preparation, you come good.

1 like
HeleneCorsa
HeleneCorsaGraduate10
in reply to mrrun

Hello, and nice to "see" you! Well done on your 15k.

Early morning runs in the summer are glorious, when it's still mild enough to be pleasant but there is the promise in the air of the hot day to come :)

mrrun
mrrunGraduate10
in reply to HeleneCorsa

My idea of Heaven! :)

1 like
FlickM3
FlickM3Graduate10
in reply to HeleneCorsa

I know, I know, I spent a big chunk of my childhood in Iraq and Cyprus! The worst thing about the heat here is the humidity. It makes it harder to breathe 🙁

orangeguy
orangeguyGraduate10

Just as long as you run, don't worry about the speed, even more so in this weather.

1 like
FlickM3
FlickM3Graduate10
in reply to orangeguy

Well yes, it as I mentioned in response to Mike, Imactually enjoy the exhilaration of running faster. I remember it from running in my teens.

orangeguy
orangeguyGraduate10

I notice I always run a bit faster when I see other runners :) I have no idea why I do that as I'm not competitive in any way, its just an automatic reaction :)

2 likes
FlickM3
FlickM3Graduate10
in reply to orangeguy

I do it too, mostly because they are so much faster than me that I don’t want to look too hopeless 🤨

orangeguy
orangeguyGraduate10
in reply to FlickM3

I think that probably is it with me too :) . . . I have to say though I don't see many older runners that often, they are mostly youngsters that streak past me, that always makes me feel a little better (youngster = anybody under 60!)

2 likes
FlickM3
FlickM3Graduate10
in reply to orangeguy

Hmm,ive had people older than that leave me behind ☹️

orangeguy
orangeguyGraduate10

The thing to remember Flick is that we older runners are in the minority, but at least we are running no matter what speed we are going at. I was talking to my GP some weeks ago, he always asks me if I'm still running (he's runner too), he reckons if all his patients were runners his work load would be cut by 50%!

1 like
FlickM3
FlickM3Graduate10

It’s true! Still, I run for enjoy,ent and I enjoy running faster - which I have done from time to time but not overall 😊

Sarakc
SarakcGraduate10

You’re doing so well! And glad you’re feeling better after your sunstroke the other day! I went out very early (5.30) today and it was cool and foggy! I’m intrigued with my new watch and at how well I’ve managed to work it!! I love all the stats although I still don’t understand it all! 😀

1 like
FlickM3
FlickM3Graduate10
in reply to Sarakc

That’s very kind, though I’m frustrated that it’s too hot for longer runs 🌞🌞🌞🌞🌞🌞

Really pleased you’re getting on with your new watch. Run it by me again which one you got? I don’t understand all the stats either, but I find them endlessly fascinating. I wouldn’t have looked into cadence without the watch! And it’s such a useful thing to know about because it can improve your running no end.

Sarakc
SarakcGraduate10

I got a garmin forerunner 235. I was interested in seeing my heart rate and I notice it’s in the red zone for most of my run! Resting pulse is very low! I do find it all very clever!!

I got in a bit of a pickle last night as I had been messing about with the data screens and couldn’t work out how to get it back to how I wanted it! I watched wee you tube videos and still couldn’t do it! I was getting so annoyed with myself but then I did work it out. !!!

I haven’t really studied the cadence thing yet! I love sleep tracker too! When I’m running (only 2 so far) I get a lap thing that pops up! Not sure what that means but perhaps it’s something I can turn off although I’m a bit scared to mess with my data screens again just yet!!!!😀

1 like
FlickM3
FlickM3Graduate10
in reply to Sarakc

My heart rate is in the red zone most of the time too, and my resting heart rate is also very low. But my VO2 Max is really good for my age, so it must all be ok. I have my watch set to buzz on each km, and those show as splits on the third screen once the run is saved. Also the latest software update on the watch gives R.E.M. sleep and deep and light sleep, which it never did before. Garmin is a fantastic system and more accurate than the likes of Fitbit. Well done for working it all out - though I never doubted that you would. I think people are more intimidated by technology than they need to be.

1 like
Sarakc
SarakcGraduate10
in reply to FlickM3

Aw thanks! I get there eventually!! I’ve sorted out the lap thing now! I think!!! My V02 is pretty good too! I’m learning such a lot!! 😀

1 like
FlickM3
FlickM3Graduate10
in reply to Sarakc

It’s fun x

1 like
HeleneCorsa
HeleneCorsaGraduate10
in reply to FlickM3

Love my Garmin but it appears to be toying with me at the moment. I ended up with a weird rogue run showing up yesterday - I appeared to have gone bonkers in a very small area for about 1k. And recently it came to the conclusion that I ran for 33 minutes and then cycled for 40 - while in bed (please, no rude theories as to why this happened...) I'm now thinking that doing a triathlon in my sleep might be a nice goal to aim for!

1 like
FlickM3
FlickM3Graduate10
in reply to HeleneCorsa

I’m not sayIng a word 😂😂😂😂😂😂

I haven’t had any hanky panky like that from mine, but from time to time I’m pretty sure I’ve run further than it says when i save the run. Resetting it usually sorts out any attempts at rebellion.

Lorijay
LorijayGraduate10

So glad to hear you are feeling better Flick. Another good run, really pleased to hear the enjoyment is there . Well done!! :) :)

1 like
FlickM3
FlickM3Graduate10
in reply to Lorijay

Thank you. Next week, if it’s cooler, I’m going to get a long run in.

1 like
Sutsha
SutshaGraduate10

Hey, you may not be quick (if you insist on comparing to the youngsters on the forum, which you shouldn't), but I'm in awe of the distances you and Tbae put in. You can certainly teach us all a few things I'd wager. You guys are just amazing.

1 like
FlickM3
FlickM3Graduate10
in reply to Sutsha

That’s very kind. Well, I was never fast in my youth. I ran for fun as a teenager, but was always last in the heats for sports day at school, and I’m the tallish lean build that they say goes with distance running. I’m not sure how much age or youth has to do with comparative speed. Somebody on another forum was complaining she was being beaten by runners in their 60s and 70s, but your speed does decline with age, but that’s matched with your own previous speed, not against other runners 😊xx.

You may also like...