Bridge to 10K
6,812 members โ€ข 7,621 posts

Run back from the Rollright Stones

Run back from the Rollright Stones

This is sacred space for me, as I'm Pagan, and I've done some rituals there, but today we took the dogs there in the car and walked them in the nearby wood, then I ran back to Chipping Norton. Photos include the whole family, me, Mr I Don't Snore and Dennis and Isha. The main photo is the Rollrights circle, a Neolithic stone circle built of oolitic limestone, which is very pitted and knobbly. The photos with us in are by the whispering Knights: it was once a dolman burial mound, but the earth has eroded away over time, leaving just the stones. There is a solitary standing stone away from the main complex, and called the King Stone, though not in today's photos. There are several legends attached to the circle, and it's said that nobody can count the stones accurately.

Ok, so I thought i had everything, bottle of water, phone etc, but forgot my hat - with the consequence that I now have mild heat stroke. I had it badly some years ago and am now more susceptible. Also with the consequence that, for the first time since c25k, I actually walked up part of a hill and walked the last kilometre home. I phoned Mr IDS to come and collect me, but by the time he picked up the missed call, I had got going running again and was within a kilometre of home. I had a dodgy moment outside Sainsburys when my head felt tight and I was very dizzy, and thought I would go in and buy a bottle of Lucozade with my phone, but they hadn't opened yet, so I carried on and got home alright.

So, hot, sunny and gorgeous except for my flaming face and body and giddiness. My splits were, by pace min/km:

7.40 7.43 11.24 (that was where I walked uphill) 9.20 8.21 8.59

Revelation, i get more out of breath walking uphill! Oh, and i discovered I have two left feet: I've been inadvertently wearing the two left monoskin socks ...

26 Replies
oldest โ€ข newest

You did brilliantly Flick, I saw this on Strava, now I know what you went through (no hat, dizzy spell ๐Ÿ˜ฏ) I'm even more impressed that you acheived those stats..๐Ÿ˜Šx

Have visited that Rollright Stones site years ago..Lovely pics.

1 like

Oh, thank you. i should put some of the pics on strava. I'm surprised by the walking section as I was convinced I run slower than i walk uphill, but apparently not!

1 like

Beautiful photos! Itโ€™s a scorcher here in Scotland today so Iโ€™m sure itโ€™s even hotter with you!

Hope youโ€™re ok. Heat stroke is horrible!

I went out really early as I was dying to try out my new watch! Getting used to it! Trying not to panic at heart rate!!! ๐Ÿ˜€

1 like

I'm ok now. Had some dodgy moments earlier though! I wouldnt worry about the heart rate, according to mine when I'm running, I should be dead!

1 like

Do be careful! For the next week or so we should all be running at dawn/ dusk.

Love the Rollright Stones, beautiful site but havenโ€™t been there for ages.

1 like

I've been running in the sun quite a bit lately, but with my hat! what a plonker to forget it today :(

Looks lovely and peaceful. I hope you are ok, take it easy today, it can take it out of you for longer than you think (but you probably know that anyway! :) ). You did brilliantly contending with all that. It's meant to be even hotter next week! Early mornings for me or not at all! But actually, that's standard! Rest up in the shade :)

1 like

Yes indeed, I'm taking it very easy. I'm better now I've eaten and drunk more water, but I did feel dodgy earlier. Of all things, forgetting my hat on a hot day caps the lot! Duh ...

1 like

On a completely different note I am just about to purchase my 4TH pair of Tikiboo Capri's. I have a ยฃ5 off voucher which is burning a hole in my virtual pocket :). I thought I could confess this to you, safe in the knowledge that you are FAR worse than I am!! :) :) :) I'm running or in the gym every day so it's entirely justified!!!???!

1 like

Haha, don't try to shift the blame for your sins onto me Ms Fishypieface ! I have a confession too, i just bought some new running shoes, more On Running. well, I need something for diverting across fields and footpaths don't I. But blame that Sadie-runs , it's all her fault for posting about hers and the Runner's Need sale. They were only ยฃ49 :)

1 like

Flick you are incorrigible! I knew you could top me, I love it! Just off for a quick look on Runner's Need then.... :)

1 like

๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚

1 like

It looks beautiful! Thank you for sharing your pictures. And I'm glad you're alright now, perhaps it'll make a few people (myself...) think about a hat and other sunstroke protection - I went out yesterday without one, think I was alright but why did I risk it...

Itโ€™s easily done. Iโ€™m a total plonker to forget mine. If Iโ€™d just been going out from home by myself, I think I would have remembered. I need to be more organised and put everything out beforehand.

Well done you, and yes the heat is so hard, lots of fluids now and stay safe ๐Ÿ˜Ž

1 like

thanks ju-ju- , yes, I've been drinking a lot and just had a two hour sleep. I'm a sun worshipper, so it was a massive shock to me to get heat stroke for the firt time in my life about 6 years ago!

1 like

Well done Flick. So pleased to read you are feeling a bit better, take good care!! Lovely photos, must put Rollright Circle on place to visit, thank you. :)

1 like

Thank you :) yes, it's a fascinating place to visit.

Hope you are feeling better now Flick - but great photos and a great run in the heat. The mercury is definitely rising again - I was red as a beetroot when I returned from my 10k yesterday and it felt like quite a slog. ..I really need to think about early morning running, I think.๐Ÿ™‚

1 like

Iโ€™m better but still feel a bit sick and depleted. I wonโ€™t make,that mistake again!

1 like

Great photos, looks like brilliant place. Well done on running in that heat, glad youโ€™re recovered now.

1 like

Thanks, Tony. Itโ€™s an amazing place. I still feel a bit under the weather from this morning. Lesson learned the hard way!

1 like

Sorry to hear about the near heatstroke, it was very hot here in Cambridgeshire when I ran as I stupidly took my time getting out of bed and dithered before setting off and even though it was still only 8:30 the sun felt directly overhead with very few shadows to lurk in. Pics are beautiful, I do love a good megalith and it is easy to see the power others find in them. I spent a week in the orkneys many years back(I make odd holiday choices) and you couldn't turn round without tripping over them :) and free of the hordes of themepark stonehenge or national trust Avebury. Glad you got home ok :)

1 like

ive done the Winter Solstice at Stonehenge with a Druid group twice. Once you are inside the stones, when all the tourists have gone home, itโ€™s amazing. The English Heritage people are very trusting and keep their distance. I and a group of others woke up after sleeping in a barn near Stonehenge in the 60s, before it was fenced off, and went to the stones very early in the morning. No chance of that now. Avebury is beautiful and peaceful - large enough to be alone despite people wandering round. I would love to see the Orkney stones.

I did get home ok, but was glad to be back. I was very hot and red without sweating, which is not a good sign. Giddy, tight head, nausea and slept for two hours. Still feel shaky. But not the mega dose of heat stroke I had at Tewkesbury years ago. I was dangerously over heated then after standing still in the driving heat for an hour with my head uncovered.

Yes I think you'd love the orkneys, there are henges, brochs, chambered tombs with viking rune graffiti and early beaker people stone homes all within line of sight. I recall going into Maes Howe chambered burial mound(you used to enter from the top) and going down the steps to see the grafiti left by the viking raiders looking for burial loot. It was mostly about who had slept with brumhilda.. some things don't change :)

1 like

you are lucky to have done that. And yes, human nature stays pretty much the same :)

You may also like...