Bridge to 10K
7,139 members8,141 posts

New route & an unexpected jaunt cross country:

I should have taken some water and worn a hat: the heat and sun took me by surprise. I feel fine though, just a bit red in the face.

This was a completely different direction for me. I followed the path along the main Burford road, then I turned off along a single track road. I should have looked at the map before I left, or stowed away glasses somehow and looked at the map on my phone, because the road seemed to go on forever and i didn't want to land up running too far to get back: so I was relieved when a footpath came up. Looking on the map now, I could have kept going, the route turned back towards home further along and it would have been a nice 8-10ish km. Next time.

But glorious day, What a sense of freedom, running along the top of the world again with the countryside spread out like a patchwork quilt, and meadows of wild flowers bounded by drystone walls; buttercups and dog daisies a patterned carpet by my feet. When I took the footpath through a field of wheat, I found my rhythm. Such freedom. If we do manage to sell the house and get back to Oxford, i will never forget running in the countryside here this spring and summer.

So, back into Chippy via the big housing estate up the road from us. Just before I got to the houses, the footpath seemed to disappear into a hedge, very tangled and overgrown, but it was ok, then a field of barley, and back to civilisation. Ironically, I didn't lose my way at all out in the countryside, but I got thoroughly lost and ran round in circles among the houses - the estate is like a rabbit warren, with lots of dead ends and staggeringly steep bits. I escaped at last, thank goodness.

I didn't have my trail shoes on, but my On Cloudflyers did me proud, even on the stony bits of footpath. thankfully I managed to avoid the two lots of dog poo I passed. Twigs and gravel stuck between the clouds on the soles is one thing, but i draw the line at extracting poo ...

32 Replies
oldestnewest

Lovely post, FLick. That is a lovely area to run in for sure. You will miss it if you move to Oxford! I would!!

1 like

Ah, you beat me to it, I just added a bit at the end!

Missing it, yes and no. There are endless runs in Oxford, some of them along the river and canal, some of them in woodland, and loads round the city, which is beautiful. I'm glad I've had the experience of running here, but there are only a few routes, so variety is lacking once you've done a route a few times.

1 like

Lovely post again Flick, can’t think of anything better than getting lost in the countryside on a sunny day 😎

Tangled overgrown trail is what caused me to come to grief on Monday 😳

Defined trails where I can see my footing in future 😊

2 likes

Thank you Ted. Luckily the footpath was very distinct, as you can see from the photo. The only tangled bit was literally a few feet between hedges. The path that is scary is along the main road to Stratford, before you turn off for Over Norton. I'm not sure I can keep running that one now it's so overgrown. The council cut it, but only in places, so you can't see what you're running on. But that was nowhere near today's route.

1 like

That looks so beautiful Flick! I really need to get out there and look for some routes like that. At the moment I run the same 5k route (along the seafront) for every run and although I'm not bored (yet!!) the idea of running out in the countryside really appeals to me x

1 like

Oh, you really should, there is such a sense of freedom. You feel as if you are the first person to discover each route, and there is nobody else in the world besides you x

Sounds really great! I don't know the area I live in very well yet - it seems very urban so I think I'm going to have to drive to find some nice country routes. How do you decide where you might run? Do you just look at a map or are there any websites you use?x

1 like

I dont drive, so it all has to be local. i do part explore and part look on the map, but I've nearly exhausted any routes under 12k now

Thanks Flick! You've inspired my to brave it and try something different :-)

1 like

Go for it 😊

1 like

Nice post and looks like you had a really nice run, you've been montaging again haven't you :) . . . still on the IC so I'm very envious, the run, not the montaging :)

1 like

Thank you. It was lovely. Clouded over now, so i caught the best of it.Yes, photoshop job, though a bit slapped together. I really hope you are out running again soon!

Ohh that sounds lovely, discovering a new route almost by accident I mean. I plan things too much on the computer and maybe I need to learn to noodle some more, i'm often chasing a distance or a time and that's a real barrier to noodling around. I vow my next trip out will involve a big noodle around.

1 like

I noodle like there’s no tomorrow ( I do it on my harp too) but I do look on a map sometimes, which is how I discovered the saltway. I don’t specifically chase times though I do try to do a certain distance sometimes. I’m slowly speeding up (if that isn’t a contradiction in terms 😊) and want to increase my pace but, except for the fartleks the other day, I don’t consciously work for that. It’s so beautiful round here that you forget about all that anyway till you get nearer home.

What a lovely place to run! And such a bonus when the sun comes out as long as it’s not too hot!

I’m trying to decide where I’ll go tomorrow!!

Good luck with the house selling! Can be very stressful!! 😀

1 like

Thanks Sara 😊 certainly is stressful. We did it only two years ago when I was three weeks post surgery. I must be mad doing it again😳

1 like

Oh goodness!!! And I thought we were mad moving into our house 2 days before Christmas 2 years ago!! 😀

1 like

😂 that’s me, mad!

1 like

I do get a little envious when I see some of the lovely places people on here get to run in, beats the grey streets of Romford 🤣

1 like

It certainly is beautiful here, but also limiting because there are no shorter routes out of the town, and the longer ones are too long. you're stuck with 7-10k runs all the time.

1 like

Sounds and looks lovely 🙂 We were in Broadway today, that's not too far from you is it? We met some friends who live near Burford and I know your posts mention the Burford Road a lot!

The countryside at the minute is just gorgeous.

1 like

Did you go up to the tower? You can see right across to the Malverns and into Wales from there on a clear day.

No we didn't. Ate, shopped and talked 🙂

1 like

worth a visit next time, lovely, unusual, and set in idyllic scenery :)

Yes we will. We need to come back because I want to see the lavender fields at Snowshill and it's too early for them atm.

1 like

I celebrated my 60th Birthday staying in a cottage in Broadway..it was beautiful :)

Looks and sounds like a lovely run Flick but yes, it was warmer than we expected here in Surrey today, too!🙂

1 like

It can’t have been more than 13 degrees when I set out at 8 this morning, but combined with the sun and the running, it felt a lot warmer 🌞

1 like

Looks like a lovely run. Can’t beat finding new beautiful routes 😊

1 like

It really was, and such a lovely day. cold grey and wet now, so i was lucky i ran yesterday :)

Beautiful Flick.... a lovely run :) I envy you xx

Looks gorgeous 👌🏼

You may also like...