Bridge to 10K
8,172 members β€’ 9,860 posts

3 generations running

My daughter and granddaughter came over and we did a 6k run together through the countryside. They left me standing! I'm the one in capris, with my running jacket tied round my waist. My daughter ClarkeyCat is in black and pink and my granddaughter is in grey. The main picture shows the two of them running along an old salt way.

It was chucking it down with rain this morning, but it had cleared to muggy grey by the time we ran. Those of us with proper running shoes got very wet feet as we ran through saturated undergrowth on the path beside the main road before turning off for quieter lanes. I also have very bad stinging nettle pain on my ankles and shins.

By the time we got back, it was bright sunshine and heating up. Typical British weather, brolly in the morning, bikini by afternoon.

We rounded off the experience by going out for something to eat - chips and apple pie, yum!

57 Replies
oldest β€’ newest

Ah how lovely 😊 hope you are having a great day xx

1 like

they've gone home now, but it was lovely. first time I've run with anyone else xx

2 likes

Sounds great x

1 like

Looks beautiful x

It really is x

Sounds like a lovely run x

1 like

Just lovely to run with them both. The first of many I hope x

1 like

So lovely to be able to run with your girls! And in this fabulous English countryside too. We are so lucky and I love running at this time of year with the hedgerows full of flowers and zingy green growth. Well done to the three of you.

2 likes

Thank you. May has been like a shout of joy here this year, such amazing, prolific blossom.

1 like

That’s a wonderful and very apt way to put it! ☺️

1 like

Beautiful, Flick! x

Thank you dearest Sadie. It’s so green and lush here at the moment, and lovely to run with my beautiful daughter and granddaughter. X

1 like

You are clearly three peas in a pod. 😁 xxx

1 like

Thank you xxx

How lovely to have some company on your run today! It looks so beautiful!

I can’t wait to run with my daughter the next time she visits! She’s quite keen unlike my boys!!! πŸ˜€πŸƒβ€β™€οΈ

1 like

It was lovely, though poor Rosie, my daughter, was running backwards and forwards trying to keep down to my slow pace.

1 like

My daughter is 24 and lives in St Albans. This time last year I was visiting her and she persuaded me to do a Parkrun with her! (Pre running days for me and I’d not really heard of it!)

She registered us but never got round to printing off the barcode so we didn’t get timed luckily!!! )

Anyway we jogged along together and she left me well and truly behind on the uphill finish!! We were very much at the back of the pack!!! I’ve done one other Parkrun since then in Edinburgh but working on Saturdays means I can’t do them often anyway! πŸ˜€πŸƒβ€β™€οΈ

1 like

Ah, Im glad im not te only one. I hope you have as good a time when your daughter visits as Imdid today xx

1 like

It was lovely I really enjoyed it - stop worrying about the pace! Xxx

2 likes

Yes mum 😳 i wanna be Insane Bolt xxx

1 like

How lovely, a great way to ensure that your genes are safe :)

1 like

Im so grateful to my daughter. I had wanted to run again after getting my first tracker two or three years ago,but thought my old injuries precluded it. When she did c25k, it was the spur I neededto start running again. I went to see my GP, who was enthusiastic about me doing it, and the rest is history 😊

1 like

History indeed!

1 like

Wonderful moments, Flick! And again you're so lucky for those lovely green, shady paths, even if very muddy at times...

1 like

It will be a wonderful memory, you are right. We are hopefully moving back to Oxford, so running here today will be part of what I look back on regarding our time here.

Back to Oxford? This means you'll be running on flat grounds??! You'll definitely miss the hills now you're coping greatly with them.

2 likes

I will make sure I run up some hills there. I ran up a long slow climbing one last time I was there. In Oxford you have the choice though. I was impressed with my girls today. It’s flat where they live, but they bounded up the hills like gazelles - well ahead of me, poorvold thing that I am πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

lol Yes, well, I see what you mean even if not sure it's only a question of age but also of running experience... I ran with "real" runners for the first time two weeks ago as some of my PE colleagues had organised 4 x 5km loops in the citadelle park where I run. A colleague of mine encouraged me to run what was supposed to be a relay. But the day was a rather cold rainy Sunday (nothing like the 27Β°C of today!!) and too few teachers and students there. So, most runners ended up running the 4 loops!! I started the first at my usual pace and ran with a student's parent who was nice enough to stay with me at the back but then I lost the pack at loop 2! I stopped as my colleague went for lap 2 and then I ran lap 3, the slowest 5k I've ever run lol (Very tough to go back running after a 20 mns or so interruption, despite stretching in between)! Anyway, I realized I would never be a runner like them (most must run 5k in 20 mns...). But I really enjoyed myself and my back was alright after. So, I'll stick to snailgambolling ;-)!

2 likes

Ah, but my daughter started c25k only a month orvtwo ahead of me!

Wow, that sounds like a complicated run! And they can do 5k in 20 minutes? That literally twice as fast as me!

Yes, they were fast (and the kids too): some ran the 20kms in 2h... But they had sore legs the next days whereas I had no pain at all :-)

1 like

Chips and apple pie sounds an interesting mix! But so nice that you can run with them both. Sounds like a great time .. and the pics are great πŸ‘

1 like

Chips and apple pie is lush! 😍

It was such a nice run, even though Imwas very tired today.

We all took the pics - thank you 😊

1 like

How lovely! (apart from the stinging nettles, that is!)

1 like

Stinging nettles are an occupational hazard this time of year 🀨

1 like

How great to see 3 generations able to go for a run together.... I’m sure there are not many families who can boast that! Great to have a fit running gramma....whoohoo Flick. You rock, you hottie πŸ˜‰

2 likes

It is really nice to run together. Lol, thank you, hottie, I’ll take that x

1 like

How lovely to run with your daughter and granddaughter. Sounds like a fabulous run.x

1 like

I am blessed x

1 like

looking good from behind flick :)

1 like

thank you, it looks ok doest it. i thought I would be stooping or slouching, but thankfully no. what you cant see is the red face!

1 like

How wonderful to run with your daughter and granddaughter, Flick! Hope the nettle stings have eased off now - the pesky blighters are really growing fast at the moment!!πŸ™‚

1 like

Thank you :) The nettle stings are horrid still. The problem is some of them are over an old scar, which feels numb and prickly at the best of times, so it feels yuck!

1 like

Brilliant photos Flick. Three generations running together,it doesn’t get any better than that!πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸƒβ€β™€οΈπŸƒβ€β™€οΈπŸƒβ€β™€οΈπŸ˜€πŸ˜€

I’m going out today so fingers crossed!x

1 like

Thank you Maggie. It was a lovely thing to do, even if they did leave me in the dust! Enjoy your run and tell us all about it later :) x

1 like

Will do!πŸ˜€x

1 like

I did a Park Run recently with my daughter, son in law and twin granddaughters (who will be 9 in July). SIL and girls left me standing but my daughter kindly ran at my pace and we did it in 38 minutes, which was 8 minutes slower than her PB. SIL can do it in 20 minutes! Girls ran back occasionally to say "Come on Granny, you can do it!" Great fun - wish they had Park Runs here in France. Got a lovely photo of our three generations after the run.

1 like

How lovely. A whole family running. That's what it's all about x

1 like

Great post Flick and lovely to have the kids around you

1 like

Thank you - and it was x

1 like

What fun! It. Just be lovely to run with the family. I shall be doing so in a few weeks time up in rural Lincs. Can’t wait

1 like

It’s an experience not to be missed, soemthing shared x

Lovely!

1 like

Thank you x

what a lovely thing to do - and a beautiful route. Hope it happens again for you 😊

1 like

This spring has been amazing for running, so lush and green and bridal with all the hawthorn and cow parsley. Running with my girls was the icing on the cake x

1 like

Sounds just perfect, and the photos are fabulous. ❀

1 like

Thank you Helen 😊 xxx

You may also like...