Bridge to 10K
6,527 members7,281 posts

Diamonds & gold & 8k

Diamonds & gold & 8k

Could I have been any slower? I set out to do another at least 10k, but my dodgy knee started really hurting towards the end of the run (almost certainly because I forgot to strap it before running the other day), so I stopped at 8k. I'm surprised the elevation gain was only 80 metres because this was a very hilly run and I was exhausted by the end of it.

Ever since I started running, I dreamed of running to the Village of Over Norton, which is not too far outside Chipping Norton. It seemed an impossible goal in those early days of c25k. Well, today was the day I did it.

Such a beautiful morning. The low sun lit the honey stone of the dry stone walls to mellow gold, and struck diamonds from the grass. I ran through a cobweb that was like rainbow threads. I didn't see it till I ran into it, then the angle of the sun suddenly picked it out.

I went out through the town and along the Banbury road till it joined the Stratford road, then towards Shipston on Stour. The path along there was once properly surfaced, but is now a muddy track with dangerously uneven chunks of tarmac here and there. Trail shoes next time I think. It was slow going and my feet got soaked. Luckily it wasn't for too far before I turned off onto a single track road to Great Rollright, then left to Over Norton. I did take a photo in the village but haven't included it here because it was spoiled by parked cars.

After that it wasn't far back into Chipping Norton itself. Only really a 5ish k round trip. I ran down to the industrial estate and backwards and forwards a bit to make up more distance. The knee thing was a nuisance, as i would really like to have done 10k again, but on reflection I was really tired, running on insufficient sleep again, so probably just as well. I also get the shivers after a longer run: suppose going from running heat to sitting still. My VO2 Max has taken another nose dive too!

25 Replies
oldestnewest

Sounds like a lovely run. Hope the knee improves soon.

1 like

Thank you.It will be ok. It was badly damaged a long time ago so protests from time to time.

1 like

Sounds - and looks - lovely. I am concrete locked and dreaming of decamping to the country. Tomorrow we are going to investigate a - hopefully - substantial chunk of greenery fairly close to home, which I've known of for years and not checked out, doh!

Hope the knee settles soon - I understand the old injury bit, doesn't stop it being frustrating tho.

1 like

I hope your green space lives up to expectations! It IS lovely running in the countryside :)

1 like

Lovely photos and sounds a delightful run, except for your knee grumbling- hope that settles soon. We’ll done too for listening to your body and enjoying 8k rather than fretting about 10k. 😄

1 like

I was glad to stop really. Went back to bed and slept for three hours!

1 like

Well there’s a novel way of nodding off back to sleep! 😂 The more I think about it, the more I realise that running for pleasure is the most important thing. Distance and speed can just happen “sideways by accident” (or not) as far as I’m concerned! 😃

1 like

Yes, I only run for pleasure really and that's certainly why I took up running again. However, there is an exhilaration in sometimes going faster, and I seldom enjoy that thanks to the hilliness round here: by the time I've slogged up a long slow incline, I'm sometimes too knackered to zoom down the other side 😕

I agree - you were wise to listen to your body. What a beautiful place to run, too! Well done🙂

1 like

Thank you :) It was a sharp twinge rather than a little grumble, so i thought I had better take notice :)

1 like

Looks lovely and who's worrying about speed when the weather is so delicious? Sound like a lovely start to the weekend 😊.

1 like

Though not warm when i went out. i was glad of my new Tikiboo black running jacket (oops, didn't tell anyone about that!), which has two large pockets so no need for boring belt or armband. :)

Fantastic run despite the knee trouble, Flick! It looks so nice as well ("outstanding natural beauty", a subtle reference to your aura ;-). Hope you're chilling out and that your knee is not causing you more pain. Have a great weekend!

1 like

Thanks Anthie. Ah, my aura, enhanced by my new Tikiboo Lycra, including the latestaddituon if running jacket 😂😂😂

The knee will be fine. It's been twinging and grumbling for years. It's so much better since I started running x

1 like

That darn knee hampering your 10k plans...frustrating. But great job regardless on the 8k, beautiful pics and quite the hill! Which lovely new tights joined you on your run?

1 like

Thank you 😊 the knee will be ok. It's legacy of a road traffic accident so plays up from time to time, but so much stronger since running again. Actually I wore some dark Adidas leggings (I wore the peacock ones the other day) and my new black running jacket, which is excellent and was much needed as it was only 6 degrees C at 6 this morning, and has lovely big pockets for keys and phone.

1 like

Beautiful area. What a stunning run!

1 like

It was lovely, such a sense of freedom, but knackered after due to all the uppy bits 😉

1 like

Haha I bet! But a good knackered eh! 😁

1 like

Well done. I think we are in similar boats. My knee issue clears up with rest.

I also had an ambition to run to a nearby village (Lacock). It is conveniently 5km from home. It is along a nice path including a canal section. About halfway is a bridge so it serves as a nice turnaround point for a 5-6km out and back run

On a nice gentle run last week I got to the bridge and forgot to turnaround.By the time I had realised it seemed easier to continue especially with the "Run, Forrest, Run!" voice in my head. On approaching Lacock I realised

1. I wasn't up to running back

2. It was getting dark

3. There's no uber in Lacock

4. I didn't have any cash

and of course the nuclear option was my only choice. So I phoned Mrs P who came to pick me up. Apparently I only have to do ALL the washing up until the end of May

2 likes

Hahaha,that really made my day. I did wonder, as I ventured out, how far I would be running and how I would get back if I ran out of steam. Mic didnt have a car (gone to pick up the replacement today). Luclkily it wasnt that far - in fact I wish it had been further!

What a beautiful place to run, I bet it makes all the difference. Look after the knee and lets hope the weather holds for all of us runners for a bit longer. Happy, sunny running.

1 like

It is lovely, especially that early in the morning when I have it to myself! The knee will be fine, just having a twinge x

Sounds wonderful - such a beautiful place for running and I love the photos (that is one heck of a slope in the top right pic!!) Well done.

Also - re elevation gain, I think that is what mine normally is on a run of a similar distance in Villa Pamphilj, and it is no joke. It is my favourite place to run but can be quite punishing - also bear in mind that it's not really giving you an idea of any downhill bits which while they may seem easier, are very hard on your knees.

1 like

Thank you Helen 😊 if I run round the town, my elevation gain is often more, but the hills dont go on for so long. The other side of that bit in the pic, the hill slopes down a bit, then up again to a very long, shallow climb that finishes you off after the steep bit 😓 I did the same run again today, but went out of town along a different route, so it took me a bit further. Strangely Im less tired and in fact quite energised today. The knee is ok too.

You may also like...