Bridge to 10K

I ran 10k by mistake (with allusion to Withnail) - or how I got up at 4.15 & thought it was 5.15

I ran 10k by mistake (with allusion to Withnail) - or how I got up at 4.15 & thought it was 5.15

I'm kind of dyslexic with the clock at that time of day, especially as the bedroom clock isn't straight. How I can run 10k on only five and a half hours sleep first thing in the morning, but can't manage 1k in the afternoon is beyond me. As I'm a pig and eat all day, maybe it's something to do with how empty my stomach is. Note to self, eat less.

Anyway, I set out in the dark, to the sound of a blackbird singing. I started my usual autistic counting minis (the car); I don't think I actually am on the spectrum, but I do find counting things comforting and entertaining. Hmm ... pity I couldn't count the buzzes on my watch accurately, or read the K markers with my dodgy eyesight (I was aiming for 9k, back on ju-ju-'s plan). I lost count of the minis too -

So out through the town, up Rock Hill, then out onto the London Road, via a detour round a churchyard, where daffodils made a luminous splash among crooked gravestones in the half light. That funny star shape on the map is where I ran round and round the grim estate with the three story houses that are like a solid wall with no gaps in between. The circle is the aptly named something or other Circus.

After that I headed on up the London Road, where the path was muddy in some places and flooded in others, necessitating running up onto the grass verge from time to time. A pheasant belted across the path: they breed them for shooting round here, I think; I passed a lot of little, low hut things with pheasants around them. Then I branched off up what was probably a private road, though it wasn't marked as such. A rabbit scuttled away into the hedgerow, white tail a beacon in the growing light. Red streaks among the grey clouds beyond showed the approach of morning proper.

So, turned round, ran back out to the road again, then headed for the town once more, where a couple of jackdaws flew along beside me for a few yards. I was in a lovely place where my body seemed to keep going automatically, breathing steady, feet going thwock thwock in a rhythm. Once I've run for 20 minutes or so, I seem to be able to just keep going.

I finished my run near to home. I honestly could have run further. Not massively fast, but I was going uphill a lot of the time and had a very strong wind against me. But I did it! Now I can relax for a bit and run purely for fun, just as far and as fast/slowly as I feel like. (VO2 Max has taken a nose dive again though)

Can I have my badge now please :)

76 Replies
oldestnewest

What a beautiful mistake! 😉 Congratulations 🎉 So inspiring. Well done. 🎉

1 like

Thank you! I feel really good now, buzzing with runner's high. Good to get the 10k marker behind me too :)

1 like

Congratulations! 10K! I love your descriptions of your runs, they are so motivational. Keep on running 🏃🏽‍♀️🏃🏽‍♀️🏃🏽‍♀️👍🏅

1 like

Thank you :)

Sounds perfect that does! Sometimes things just come together 💪🏃‍♀️👍😃

Well done and congratulations 🙂

1 like

Thank you :) It was a real triumph for me after the fatigue and sluggishness I've suffered since running 8k. I really do think time of day makes a difference for me. I can always run early, even on far too little sleep.

I might go out now then 😃. I was up and about in the wee small hours, waiting on bread which I started making at bed time 🙄. Napping between risings 😁.

1 like

Gosh, that sounds very worthy! I used to make bread. i had a recipe where you used vitamin C tablets to cut down the proving time. If i went out now, i would be sluggish again. My best time seems to be 5ish on sleep deprivation - go figure!

I think I’ve only run pre-dawn once. Loved it 😃

I once got up during the night and went running as I couldn’t sleep. I’d been making espresso choc energy bars. I ate the broken ones and the crumbs and drank the spare espresso 😁😳🏃‍♀️

1 like

Ha! obviously marathon food. I like it when i wake that early after a few undisturbed hours (thank you Mr I dont snore for not snoring!). i have the world to myself.

Well done Flick, a very inspiring post 👏🏆🥇

You’ve earned a well deserved rest from the dress of it all now 🤗

Whatever you decide to do next, enjoy 😊🏃‍♀️🏃‍♀️

1 like

Thanks Ted. I'm buzzing still and looking forward to lazy, easy run for joy excursions.

Brilliant run Flick, congratulations!

Request your lovely badge here

healthunlocked.com/bridgeto...

Thank you! Request put in. Feeling on top of the world x

Fantastic Flick!! Well done you!

And I find someone else who knows who Withnail is! So, to celebrate....... We want the finest wines available to humanity! We want them here and we want them now! :)

3 likes

Thank you Mike! I've only seen Withnail once, but 'we went on holiday by mistake' stuck in my mind. Mr I dont snore has seen it umpteen times and can recite the script (just ahead of the characters when you're watching it, which is VERY annoying). I was intrigued that they got Richard E Grant drunk (he apparently didn't drink, ever) to give the part authenticity.

1 like

It's a great film. Full of mistakes, but highly amusing...... if you have the correct odd sense of humour ;)

1 like

I loved it, though the sense of humour is definitely more blokey than girly :)

Fab, well done x

Thank you x

Well done Flick I reckon the rest did you good.

1 like

Thank you Richard. Not sure about the rest, but you might be right. I always seem to be able to run very early in the morning, however tired I am

1 like

Well done Flick! Glad you got there and so nice that it came as a surprise :) Your route looks like some sort of malignancy though hehe

1 like

Thank you :). Haha, yes, or maybe brain synapses.

Congratulations ... well done you!

... and a lovely post, thank you.

1 like

Thank you, and you are very welcome :)

Brilliant! I am so pleased for you Flick: your hard work and tenacity deserve nothing less. Every time you look at the forum now you will see that little 'Graduate 10' badge next to your name: how good is that?

You can now bask in the afterglow: nothing to strive for and able to enjoy each and every run for whatever it is, whenever it is. I am really enjoying that myself.

I too am afflicted by the counting thing: as an ex- shepherd I especially enjoy counting the large numbers of sheep we have around here, especially when they come down from the hills for their Winter 'holidays' or 'agistment' as it is more properly called. I just can't stop myself. Many years ago, as well as farming, I worked at one of Her Majesty's 'Houses of Many Windows'. One regular duty that junior erks like me drew was to patrol the fence: round and round and round and round....it was mind numbing. I used to count the various bits of the fence, the clouds, the windows, the dandelions...everything. I would then count them in other languages I know how to count in. I would then do all sorts of mental maths: first-floor windows multiplied by square of doors; crows sitting on fence divided by people visible etc. I did it to keep myself sane but, in retrospect, it probably had the opposite effect.

Anyway, congratulations again on completing this very special journey: it will have inspired many people.

1 like

omigods, the badge has appeared!

4 likes

Thank you! Though the bdge hasn't appeared yet, so i can only imagine the looking at it bit ;)

You have taken counting to greater heights than I. I only do the multiplying bit if I'm counting sets of things like windows. At night I do 20 town names or first names beginning with A, then B etc. I used to count how many words that rhymed, for instance an, ban etc, in alphabetical order, but that got boring because i knew them all after a while.

I have been looking forward for so long to getting to 10k so that I had a foundation and then could relax and just enjoy the runs for their own sake. I might start working on my pace and time a little further down the line, not as a means in itself, but so that I'm up to longer cross country exploratory runs when the weather gets better. Funny as cross country runs were the thing I loathed and avoided at school - used to hide in the bushes.

I HOPE the post inspires people - that's one of the reasons I keep posting, to encourage others along the way.

2 likes

Wow! Fantastic Flick..what a super post to, so descriptive 😊....

So so pleased for you, and agree, once past the first 20 mins, how lovely and relaxed it feels.

Your badge is now in place, all shiny and sparkling...

Huge well done, and yes, now its done you can just relax and run!😊xxx

1 like

Thank you! I really am far further over the moon than i even expected. I have to thank forum members for support and ju-ju- for her wonderful 10k plan, even though I only got halfway through it before reaching 10k. I began my running journey (both last year and in my youth) for the joy of running, so this milestone has cleared the way for me to relax, as you say xxx

1 like

Hilarious - but also fantastic! Well done to you. If I’m ever up that early I will remember how you did this and give it a go 🏃‍♀️!! You are clearly a morning person Enjoy the certificate and a well deserved soak in the tub. 😊

Thank you :)

I didn't used to be a morning person, but motherhood changed that a long time ago. I had my Badedas fix earlier, along with a huge plate of curry and a cuppa :)

Congratulations Flick! on you great achievement. I have previously sent you a post congratulating you but it seems to have disappeared into the ether. Anyway well done👏👏🏅🏅💐🏃‍♀️🏃‍♀️

1 like

Thank you Maggie😊 im still amazed as i had only completd half the plan, but once youve done 8k it isnt much of a stretch to do 10. I was aiming for 8 or 9 today, but got muddled and ended up doing the full 10. I shall probably feel it tomorrow! Xx

Take a look at that badge 😀🎉 Well done Flick, what an achievement and a lovely description of early morning Cotswolds too. Hope you've got a bag of 🍩s to celebrate! x

1 like

Thank you 😊 ah, alas, Ive sworn off donuts as I think they are responsible for my inability to run during the day! I did, however, have a large plate of curry 🍽

2 likes

Well muddle or not you did it and a great pace and time. You are an inspiration!😃

I’ve had a busy couple of days. Sunday didn’t get out after all had a stinking migraine.🤯 Got myself ready to go out but in mid migraine,humming and harring I decided I would be better staying in. My heart was not in it. I’ve also still got a sore ankle. It seems to tighten up whilst at rest but once I start to walk on it,it loosens up and seems to get better. Makes me wonder could it be planta fascia as the pain travels to th bottom of my foot,or is it tendinitis. However when I run it begins to get better after a while. Anyway

tomorrow hopefully will be better! 😀😀x

1 like

Sorry to hear about your ankle. I think plantar faccitis is more a stabbing lke needles in the heel, but Im not sure. You will be out again soon, never fear. Look at all my moaning last week, then I upped and did 10k today - seems no rhyme or reason to how our bodies respond x

1 like

Thanks Flick it’s true what you say no rhyme no reason! Once again full of inspiration 😀😀 thanks x

Spelling mistake sorry tendonitisx

1 like

Ah, now I understand 😊

1 like

Hee! hee!x

1 like

Congratulations!! It’s such a great achievement to run 10k !! I actually ran it by mistake a couple of weeks ago too! Aiming to go out on Thursday and do it again!! 😀🎉🏃‍♀️🏅

1 like

Well done you as well. Im looking forward to pootling around for a bit, seeing where I get to, just going as far as I feel like. X

Congrats Flick! What a pleasant surprise, I bet. I love the starburst on your map. My maps are always so boring 😂

1 like

Thank you😊 I would happily swap your wide open , free runs. I get so fedup running in circles round the same places to get the distance x

2 likes

Congratulations. Your badge looks amazing by your name😀.

Thank you 😊 dead chuffed with that badge!

Well done Flick. I think Fell running could be your thing.

1 like

Thank you 😊 ooh, dont know about fell running, it looks kind of steep and rocky 😳

So well done, FlickM3 ! That bling looks awesome next to your name. You must be feeling terrific now. What an achievement!

1 like

Thank you! Im really pleased. Ive worked towards it for ages and was worried by my recent fatigue, but today ot happend, just like that.

1 like

Wow, so impressive, Flick! A brilliant morning run! I hope you felt good for the rest of the day :-)

1 like

Thank you. Ive felt on top of the world all day. I thought I would be really tired, but I havent been. It might hit me tomorrow though.

Well done! Glad you’ve found your mojo 💪🏻🏃🏼‍♀️x

1 like

Thank you! My knees are a bit stiff now though 🤨

1 like

Well done on your 10k! My first one was accidental too...I got lost. 🙊 I can only aspire to being able to get up for a run that early! I love morning runs, but I love my sleep too. 😞

1 like

Thank you! Really 10k doesn't seem much more than 8. My knees are letting me know they're there this morning though! I love my sleep too, but it seems to have deserted me at present :(

1 like

I know that scenario well. I have term time only insomnia. I'm not sure that's an official diagnosis, but it seems accurate😁. I hope you find your sleep again soon.

1 like

I hope I do. If I do then Im getting up early to orrow to run!

1 like

Well done all your hard work paid off despite the little blip!

I'm hoping to get to 10k when my back recovers - I got to 8k 2 weeks ago.

In the meantime I'll keep reading these inspiring posts.

Congratulations again.🏅

1 like

Thank you! I'm really, really pleased if a little shocked and stunned! Taking two days' rest now, then some shorter runs and see where the fancy takes me :)

1 like

Congratulations👏👏👍 so glad you seem to have got your running mojo back. Fab run and beautiful description.

1 like

Thank you very much xx

Brilliant - well done you!

1 like

Thank you 😊 xx

What a wonderful run report! Presumably you will need to celebrate with the finest wines known to humanity ;)

1 like

Thank you. I still cant quite believe I did it, and , without intending to!

1 like

I think it often happens that way, doesn't it? We just chance upon a good running day and get caught up in it. Those are the best runs of all :)

(Damn, now I see that MikeJones68 beat me to it... clearly we are on the same wavelength)

1 like

Unfortunately I live with a recovering alcoholic, so booze is off the agenda. He says he doesnt mind, but I know it would be hard for him if I drank in front of him. I donr really miss it except once in a while.

Ah, so it'll just have to be the cakes then...

You are right about not drinking, it would seem needlessly unkind, especially as being used to giving it a miss would seem like a wise move in terms of health anyway. I know you have trouble sleeping and alcohol is terrible for insomnia.

1 like

Interesting you should say that about alcohol and insomnia. He was a binge drinker, clocking up alarming amounts per week, when I first knew him, and completely wired, slept appallingly badly. Now, except for the snoring - which, of course, we all know he doesnt do - he sleeps better than I do.

Yippee! Well done Flick! You are indeed an inspiration to us all and deserve to bask in your 10k glory. There's hope for me yet - as soon as my ankle is better I'll be starting back on JuJu's plan and hopefully joining you...

Take it easy and enjoy some lovely spring runs to celebrate. X

1 like

Well, that's very kind of you, but there are lots of folks on here who have run 10k. You will do it. Hope the ankle heals soon. and yes, Friday I'm hoping to go out and have a nice relaxed run, just keeping going for as long or as short as I feel like x

1 like

You may also like...