Bridge to 10K
7,652 members โ€ข 9,307 posts

This is what I dreamed of in the dark days of winter:

running in the long, light evenings of spring and summer. Yesterday my friend Kate took me for lunch in Moreton in Marsh. We went the back way for the scenery, and I noticed there was a path running alongside the road towards Churchill, so that was where I went this evening. And a crazed, rough, patchy path it was too, but never mind.

So, lovely sights and sounds and smells. Light streaming obliquely from towering clouds. Blossom and a flush of green in the hedgerows. Daffodils, flowering currant and primroses on the verges. Smell of manure and wet grass and freshly turned earth. Kids shouting across the fields and the dull thwack of feet on a ball.

Just a whisper under 5k. I was sure it was further. Running really is a slog for me at present; I'm sluggish, heavy footed and out of breath. But I did it. I'm hoping keeping at it will build my stamina up again. My VO2 Max has gone up to 32 again, and Ming the Merciless tells me I'm in the top 15% for my age and gender. Hurrah!

Now off to get my Badedas fix and watch a couple more episodes of Vikings.

22 Replies
oldest โ€ข newest

Oh Flick doesn't it make a difference running in the sun!

I'm sure I'd never had graduated if I'd started this whole crazy journey in the depths of winter. Just would like the mud to dry up now am sick of either slip sliding through squelching footpaths and running on pavements.

Glad to here your mojo is at least on the up. ๐Ÿ˜Š

1 like

I began it properly in October, so I'm thrilled to experience warmer weather and daylight at last. those dismal wet days were beginning to get me down!

1 like

Glad to read you getting your mojo back Flick! It is so good when the weather is better especially at the moment. Today has been wonderful. However I havenโ€™t been out today. I really did feel achey, and tired. Yesterday was a busy day at work and so I needed today to quite frankly ! get me breath back.

So whatever the weather tomorrow I shall be out running!๐Ÿƒโ€โ™€๏ธ๐Ÿƒโ€โ™€๏ธ

Beautiful photos Flick.

Happy running๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿƒโ€โ™€๏ธ๐Ÿƒโ€โ™€๏ธ

1 like

Thanks :) It really has been a lovely evening - and dry paths at last! Enjoy your run tomorrow!

1 like

Thank you Flick!๐Ÿ’

1 like

Sounds like a lovely day - some of us have had to work you know!!!!!!

Few months ago that path wouldn't have registered, we're all on the lookout for places that look good to run in.

1 like

Ah, well, it was evening. but i'm far too old to work - thank goodness! Now the evening are opening out, i look forward to more exploration :)

Sunshine makes us smile... and our mo-jos too:) Well done you.. I am so pleased for you x

1 like

Thank you floss :)

1 like

xx

1 like

Sunshine and a new path to explore - sounds like heaven!

The VO2 Max business is also very good. Although I'm sure it's not very accurate. Like you mine tells me I'm in the top 15% of my age group - which makes me think humanity must be pretty decrepit! And I haven't worked out why it fluctuates so regularly. But I'll take it.

Happy running!

1 like

It was lovely. Panoramic views over the countryside at one point.

The VO2 Max is only an estimate: it should be measured in a lab, in an oxygen mask, while you are driven to the limits of endurance by goads and whips. But it IS a measuring stick of sorts. Mine doesn't fluctuate that much, which probably means I'm not improving much: in fact it's only fluctuated down and then back up so far. I just feel a bit smug that everyone else must be so fit. If we were still chasing wooly mammoths and running away from sabre toothed tigers, I guess we would all be either very fit or dead LOL.

1 like

Oh this is lovely! Very happy for you, Flick. ๐Ÿ˜€ It does the soul good to run in nature in milder temperatures - I was starting to get fed up with the rain and the cold and this warm spell is really lifting my spirits! Not sunny today but still mild, so I am off for a woodland run in 10 mins! x

Thank you dearest Sadie :) Me too! Have a lovely run and post some piccies - though probably too late for you to see this before you go out x

Looks beautiful - what a difference a couple of weeks make! Happy running.

Thank you. It was a treat. Although a bit of a slog.

1 like

Glad you had a great run: it was indeed a lovely day.

I didn't run yesterday as I am having a dirty weekend. Oh yes, all sorts of mucky stuff and earthy goings on. I started with Anya and just about found the time and strength to end with with Alouette...I even managed Charlotte, Lady Christl and Belle in between.

And now all my potatoes are planted I must do more digging and cultivating ready for the root crops; I can't remember being so behind in the garden in almost five decades of growing stuff. It will be taking centre stage for the next few weeks as we have a big garden: I will have to guard against my running being usurped.

1 like

Well hello Mr Mellors. That did make me laugh. You mustnt let your running slip for the sake of ploughing a few furrows and turning some sods. However, my creeping buttercup is making a return: you dont fancy a quick weeknd in Chippy do you, spade and all?

1 like

I don't know why they call them 'creeping' buttercup: in my experience they gallop faster than a six- legged 'oss. Yes, I used put myself and my trusty Bulldog spade out for hire-a bit like Django Unchained ...but with a flat cap instead of a Stetson. Spent many a day helping good folk battle invasive weeds. Creeping buttercup is difficult to shift if your drainage is poor/ ground naturally moisture retentive. In grass you may as well give up, or just spend happy hours pretending to be a child, holding flowers under your chin to see if you like butter or not. You can reduce it by wire-raking before you mow to lift the runners, which will then be severed. You could of course spray...but I am an Organic sort of Django so don't.

By the way, I have a confession: I have been running on a dreadmill. I got so fed up of mud running that I rejoined the place I used to swim at before Shouldergate. You know, I actually quite enjoy it. I did an hour, two days ago, listening to Noah and the Whale and putting my head in neutral. My Garmin said I had covered 8.5 km, the machine a little more. Not as uplifting as the real world but better than mud, water and electric fencing.

1 like

Actually my sister. Bless her, dug out the creeping buttercup for me last year. It was in the back bed. Only a few bits emerging now and easy to deal with. I garden organically. Bob Flowerdew is my hero. Not sure about his mania for saving wee though.

I probably wouldnt mind the dreadmill as much if Imused the gym. My little one precludes stretching out, which is great for my cadence but very frustrating. Ive never done more than 6k on it, and that nearly killed me with boredom. But, as you say, better than muddy flooded paths. Never mind, spring is here now. If it would stop raining for five minutes, we would all be fine!

1 like

Hey my lovely

So pleased for you and that you found a new patch of ground to run those legs on. Good for you and just keep getting out there x

Thank you x I will :)

You may also like...