Bridge to 10K
4,871 members5,511 posts

8k insomniac run (week 4/10k plan)

8k insomniac run (week 4/10k plan)

My first 8k. Yipee!!! Still miserably slow though - thank you hilly bits! The 0.1, 12.21min/km was when I was walking along stopping and saving my run. I felt as if I could have kept going, but decided to be sensible and finish on the 8k. Just a 5k run to do now, and that's week 4.

Mr I dont snore I'm not even asleep woke me at 4.20am going to the loo (he is also Mr i drink 24+ double strength cups of coffee a day including at bedtime). I've been having trouble getting out and running because of sluggishness and fatigue and had put it off yesterday and the day before, so, unable to get back to sleep, I turfed myself out of bed and got into my running gear. How come I can run 8k on only five hours sleep at crack of dawn, but find it harder later in the day when more rested?

I set off at a nice steady pace. After the balmy few days we've had, it was colder again this morning, and a few early risers were scraping frost off their windscreens. I went further afield today, exploring new places amid birdsong and the rising light. Off round Rock Hill and along the London Road, round a huge modern estate like a rabbit warren of grandiose crescents of triple story houses, then back through Chipping Norton as the clock on the town hall was striking six. By the time I ran along the Kingham road, dawn was breaking over the distant hills and a blackbird was singing his heart out.

I don't run with headphones and music, but I have constant earworms feeding me snatches of song: I will always love you; Heathcliff, it's me Cathy...;keep on running; though the carnival is over I will love you till I die. I also have an annoying stream of consciousness thing going on: to the next lamppost; knees ache; only 3k?; ooh, I need a wee; keep going up this steep bit, just get to the top then you can run downhill; I could murder a Danish; what's down that alleyway?; mind the road little pussycat; I wonder if Stephen Hawking woke up on the other side of life and realised he'd been wrong about life after death; is it Monday?...

So, back to walk dogs then drink a mini can of Dr Peppers (sorry food police!). 10k is looking very possible now.

66 Replies
oldestnewest

Inspirational - 8K, I can only dream of achieving that one day! Vivid description, I was there with you, if only in spirit. Well done👍

1 like

Thank you! And you will, you really will, one step at a time :)

Wow - go you. That's an impressive run and so close to the 10K! I shall hope to follow in your footsteps soon (not in a stalkerish way tho)!!!

1 like

Thank you - this is part of ju-ju-'s 10k plan. well worth doing as it takes you to 10k over 8 weeks.

1 like

Thanks, I'm doing it but more slowly than you - the furthest Ive run is 7 on a treadmill. Am currently laid up with strep throat but also struggling with running outside rather than inside. Am hoping to be back out by the weekend. (Have to run off some of the chocolate somehow) :-)

1 like

7k on the treadmill is impressive. It's funny but i find treadmill running much harder. Sorry to hear about the throat. Hope you're back up to speed soon!

1 like

Love reading people’s different journeys. It’s always inspirational to me.

I’ve always been a treadmill runner and can run one hour on 2% incline covering 8k. However outside I’m out of breath after about 2 minutes. It’s so frustrating. I may join a local women’s group which may spur me on to continue for longer without stopping. It’s a learning curve.

1 like

Isnt it funny, I'm slower on the treadmill. An hour for 8k is pretty good!

Lovely inspirational post Flick and very well done👏

You know what to do now? Do your long runs at the crack of dawn on 5hrs sleep 😜

2 likes

Thank you Ted :) Yes, seems that I need to be sleep deprived and stressed to be able to run ;)

1 like

Sprint finish too Flick! 10k so close now...

1 like

Thank you. I actually think I could have run the other 2k today but though tI should be sensible. It helps going furthwr afield. Keeps the mind engaged seeing new things, so you dont notice the distance so much.

1 like

Haha love your thought process. Especially the one about Stephen Hawking 😮

Well done on your 8K, that's fab 👏👏👏

1 like

Thank you! Hmm...yes...annoying stream of consciousness. It’s also what stops me getting back to sleep when Mr I dont snore wakes me in the night. Knackered now. I had to eat baked beans on hot cross bun to replenish my system. If I dont eat carbs after running, I get shaky.

1 like

Yes I have to eat little and often as I get shaky too. Homemade chocolate milk is good for after a run.

1 like

Also smoothie.

Your kind of long easy training run is meant to be slow. Have a look here at Jack Daniels racing and training calculator runsmartproject.com/calcula... Although my 5K parkrun PB is 29:12 , I am currently struggling to finish parkrun in 35 minutes - hence , after putting that into the calculator, you can see that an appropriate easy/long training run pace for me is 8:30-9:00 mins per K .

2 likes

Lol, I'm afraid I have no choice, the constant slogging up and downhill sees to that. I do enjoy shorter runs where I can speed up a bit, but I'm never going to be fast. I was a slow runner as a kid and now age is against me - though Oldfloss is quite a bit faster than me, despite her admonitions to go slowly.

2 likes

Excellent run, Flick. This made me smile too as I have the same annoying stream of consciousness during my runs. Once I'd managed 8k the 10k came fairly easily (stream of consciousness telling me it's only another 2k and that's nothing).

1 like

Thanks Mike. Yes, mine was telling me it was only another 2k so might as well do 10k today. I told it to shut up! 😂

1 like

LOL, you do make me laugh :)

1 like

I aim to please 😂😂😂

So well done, FlickM3 !! Maybe I should try the dawn run too when I let my new pup out for a wee!! Actually feeling a bit scared of the 8k but will be heading out later today on my final run of week4 to give it my best. You’re on the run up to 10k now, I’m sure you will manage it no problem, only the 9k to nail. You’d make a good pace setter, I think!

2 likes

Oh thanks. I never saw myself as a pace setter, but I guess that slow, determined pace is good for something. Yes, 10k seems very close. I wouldn't worry about the 8k. The 7k left me tired, but 8k was easier somehow.

2 likes

Well done Flick. You are almost there now.

1 like

Thank you. I just wish I could speed up a tad, mostly because faster running feels so gloriously free and exhiliarating.

I feel like that too...especially about 5k. I was always-and still am, relatively speaking-quite fast over 100 m, but add distance and I am P.C. Plod. I feel it will be easier for me to run a Half-Marathon than crack 30 mins for 5k.

So, I have persuaded my mind to split the objectives into two distinct elements: a) actually running a certain distance and b) the times I do a particular distance in. That helps me, especially on longer runs when I start to slow towards the end and would normally get frustrated.

Today I am mostly meithering myself to distraction about a niggling pain in my knee. It was a lovely day here yesterday, really Springlike, and I was like a young bullock just let out to grass after a winter indoors; I was skipping around the garden like a demented fool and leapt over a flower bed...except that I didn't. I landed awkwardly, somewhere among the primulas, and got a shooting pain through my knee. The dogs thought it hilarious. Hurts like stink today so no running, again.

Maybe some hopping fartlek?

1 like

😂😂😂😂 I landed awkwardly somewhere among the primulas! That has to be quote of the year!!!

I was always too slow for sprint races - always last. I get going over distance.

Seriously, I hope your knee is ok.

1 like

Great post and nice work on the 8k! 10k (and beyond) are certainly within reach.

Loved your description, felt I was running with you, or inside your head. Is that creepy of me? ;)

To keep going over hills is a big deal so I wouldn't think too much about your pace if I were you. I had the idea yesterday that I'd try to keep my HR in the orange zone but the hilly bits in the park where I run (which I am pretty sure are nothing compared to your hills) put paid to that pretty soon. It is very hard work to maintain a long distance run over hills.

I like to think that Stephen Hawking woke up on the other side, and went leaping and skipping over hills and dales while singing at the top of his voice :) I am sure that would put paid to any disappointment about his position on life after death!

Not creepy at all. Im a writer, we spend most of our lives inside people’s heads, and the rest of it regurgitating people watching observations into fiction.

My outside runs are always largely in the red zone thanks to the hills, but it doesnt seem to do me any harm.

Im sure youre right about Stephen Hawking. There is a lovely cartoon doing the rounds on Facebook with him walking away from his wheelchair and towards the stars.

Oh, and thanksX

You've got good "voice" which makes your posts easy/interesting/engaging/entertaining to read.

1 like

I love reading everyone’s posts. Mr Eak maks me fall off my chair laughing, and I find your bat cave vastly entertaining.

1 like

Brilliant post and great run! Did you get Pinkaardvark's phrase "the old quick is the new slow", which I think is exactly what we're experiencing on our way to longer runs. And you have the hills, I don't. Still, even my 5K are slower then they were when I started the runs 3 times a week. So well done for those 8K!! And now whenever you mention the hills, I think of another Kate Bush's song Running up that hill... Another 5K running up that hill and then 9K, and then 10K... You're so close. Enjoy the next runs!

Thank you Anthie. Yes, that Kate Bush Song has gone thlrugh my head a few times too 😊 these longer runs are tiring me more than I would like, but I guess I will catch up with myself.

Your English really is extraordinarily good! You understand all tbe slang and idioms.

Brilliant Flick. way to go!👏👏👏Inspirational ! and a wonderful post. How I wish I could get out of bed that early when I’m not at work. When going to work I wake up at about 4.45 and out of bed at 5.00. So when off I get up a wee bit later.

Anyhoo tomorrow or Wed I shall complete wk 4/5 . Do you have to do wk4 as I thought that was a rest week which at the time I was grateful as I was still on the IC with an ankle injury.

So I continued onto WK 5 which infact is the same as WK4. I guess I need to repeat it again, I’m confused hee! hee!

Anyhoo once again a brilliant run,pace,post!

Happy running girl 🏃‍♀️🏃‍♀️😀😀

Thank you! Im actually amazed I was still standing at the end, after so little sleep.i would far prefer to go out later after 7 or 8 hours, but I do seem to run better very early. Am wiped out now though.

Im slightly confused about that week 4 rest week. I took it to mean have a break then do week 4. I actually did have a week off nearly, but not by design: I was just overwhelmed with tiredness. I think the plan is 8 weeksrunning. ju-ju-, could you clarify please?

2 likes

Hello, yes the plan is 8 weeks running, and week 5 is the week 4, I think I have confused matters! So this Friday will be a repeat of week 8 ( this week) so people can either consolidate 9k or use it to get to 9k.... I hope that makes sense? Huge well done on your progress, you are so close now......I am really sorry for my muddly approach!

Ok, thanks ju-ju- . Are you saying its 8 weeks of running with a 9th week taken as a rest somewhere? Still a little confused. Or was Maggie right to do only one week with 8k in, then on to 9k. Or do we take one week anywhere from the middle of the course as a rest week, then not do a repeat week of that specific week?

1 like

So- we are now on week 6:

Week 6: 9k

week 7: 9k or rest

Week 8: 10k

Does that make sense?

There will be another starting with a weeks' gap in the middle for people to sign up etc so there is no strict rule as to how to follow. When I first did it, it was a 6 week plan but I think people struggled a bit with the leaps.....

1 like

Ok, thanks,, so i could in theory go straight to 9k after I complete this week. I will see how tired i am. I could have done another k or two today but decided to be sensible.

1 like

yes... but there is no rush. You might want to consolidate this distance first and then move up to 9k in 2 weeks time. There are no hard and fast rules about your progress, and the plan strictly follows the 10% rule both in the runs and the weekly miles.

1 like

Yes, I will see how I feel. I could have done 10k today, I felt I could keep going, but I decided not to as that might have left me really depleted, even though I felt strong at the time.

1 like

good call...

1 like

So Flick exactly what week are you on now. I’m on the last run for week 5 and then I shall go to wk 6. I think that’s right. Anyhoo I shall see how I go and if I have to repeat then I will further down the line.

Oh boy ! I’m well confused. It’s my age me thinks hee! hee!🤯🤯😫

Happy running Flick🏃‍♀️🏃‍♀️

1 like

I have just the 5k run now to finish week 4. But I didnt miss a week in lieu of a rest. So I might go straight to week 6, or I might do only one 9k week. I will see how I feel.

Happy running to you too. And dont talk to me about age, you young whipper snapper 😂😜 xxx

1 like

Ooh! thanks Flick. I don’t know if I feel whipper snapperish ! some days. However I think you are amazing and I hope that when I’m your age I too will still be running because girl you are inspirational. 😀😀 what’s your secret?

Tomorrow I’m going to do 8k and hope I’ll do a good job.

Happy running Flick🏃‍♀️🏃‍♀️xx

1 like

Aw, thank you youre doing pretty well yourself girl xxxxxxxxx

1 like

Thanks Flick😀😀 I think we can show these youngsters a thing or two don’t you think ?🤔 hee! hee! maybe not!............🤪🤪xxxx

1 like

Yeah, we rock!

1 like

😀xxxxx

There is no stopping you these days Flick 😊

1 like

Oh, hi, havent seen you for a while. How are you doing?

I'm okay, I still post over on C25K mostly, not confident enough to post on here yet like you though I did do a 9K at the weekend (!), going to Scotland for Easter and have mapped out a nice 10K, so in 'training' for that this week. How are things with you?

2 likes

You should post on here, especially as you are doing long runs. All the old faces on here.

Im fine, enjoying the longer runs, but I do need a couple of days rest in between sometimes, but that’s an age thing. Im looking forward to long summer runs over the fields.

1 like

That sounds lovely, although I do worry about running once it gets warmer as I get so hot exercising as it is (wearing just a t-shirt even in the ice and snow!!).

I think you have earned those extra rest days so it's all okay =)

1 like

Ah, I dont sweat much and feel the cold - though even I only wear a long sleeved top and thin windproof running jacket.

I am envious! Think I need to invest in a very thin breathable top now that it is BST

1 like

I think the fact I use brea5hable,wicking clothes is half the reaon I dont get too hot. However, i sweat Like a piglet on the treadmill!

Well done Flick! 10k is definitely possible and you will achieve it. You're doing great! Thanks for taking me along so early in the morning. I find I often get lost in my thoughts like you do, despite having my music on, and have missed a few turns because of it. That is why I like a good out and back for my long runs. Can't get lost 😆

1 like

Thank you 😊 i feel very close to 10k now. Once Ive reached it, I think I will treat myself to a few shorter runs for enjoyment, then start working on my speed....maybe...

2 likes

Wow! You're incredible! Getting up early with little sleep and doing 8k - so pleased for you. Keep going - I've already put some fizz in the fridge in anticipation!

1 like

Ah, bless you. I couldnt have run later in te day after so little sleep. My body was too comatose to realise what was happening to it till I was halfway round 😳

1 like

Wooohooo go you Flick! 😄

1 like

Thank you :)

Well done you! And so early in the morning!

You certainly inspired me - after reading your early post I headed to the coast ( lovely day yesterday) & did 8k too! Thought about stopping at 7 then thought if Flick can do this after 4hours sleep I can do this after 8 hours!

Similar time to you too 1hr 11min. 10k is within our grasp! 🏅🏖

1 like

Oh, well done! I would have loved a coast run (and 8 hours sleep - a girl can dream!). We are almost there! 10k!!!

1 like

You may also like...