Bridge to 10K
6,858 members7,690 posts

My first 7k! (week 3 of ju-ju's 10k plan)

My first 7k! (week 3 of ju-ju's 10k plan)

I am now officially dead. Pathetic pace and time. I just cannot run at that time of day. I am fine earlier in the morning or late afternoon to evening - all the rest of the day, I can hardly run because my legs ache and my body feels like a ton weight. I'll never be any good at park runs!

To be fair to myself, I had a strong wind against me half the time, and the elevation gain is fairly respectable. But even downhill my legs were like lead and my whole body struggled today. The only thing that wasn't an effort, ironically, was my breathing. I didn't puff once, not even uphill. The other thing of interest is that I wore my trail shoes today (Asics Fujirado), as I knew there would be a fair bit of mud on the footpath along the Banbury Road, and though they are kind of hybrid, lightweight and made to run on roads too, they are not as light and fast as my On Running shoes; i definitely felt the difference and i think they slowed me a bit.

So, to sum up, that was an epic struggle and I very nearly gave in and sloped off more than once in the first 20 minutes. A few weeks ago I would have been forced to give up and go home, so things are improving: I did manage to plod round, though the only thing that kept me going was the thought of the Badedas horseman filling my bath and scrubbing my back for me. Also I've noticed a tendency to griping in my stomach after a longer run - nothing serious but of note.

59 Replies
oldestnewest

Pretty good job I reckon. Was that the first run over an hour? That's a pretty big milestone itself. You'll be at 10k before you know it now I reckon, but do give yourself an extra day or two off after that big push :)

I can't run mid day either, but that's as I feel I need the quiet and lack of distraction I suspect.

3 likes

Thank you! Yes, my nearest before was 6k in 58 minutes. I'm horrified at how slow it was though. I guess I have to take the wind and elevation gain into account, but mostly I really can't run during the day, even setting off and even downhill. My body refuses to cooperate. But yes, 10k is looking a lot closer :)

well if you did 6k in 58 and 7k in 1:05 you did the last k in 7mins, so god knows how much faster those last 3 will be :)

3 likes

I never thought of that!

1 like

I reckon that was pretty good going, especially considering the elevation gain. Well done, Flick! :)

2 likes

Thank you. was knackered after, but now I'm feeling pretty good :)

1 like

I love that feeling you get once you get your breath back :)

2 likes

Am still tired, but the endorphin rush is worth it :)

3 likes

Dont put yourself down, you did it, huge well done. Some runs are a struggle and the next one will be better. More importantly, who is the Badedas horseman?????!!!

2 likes

it's a 60's thing ju-ju, before our time. Kinda like the milk tray man I think, some pervy older woman thing

2 likes

Oh I say, I am going to look him up

1 like
2 likes

What Pinko said, ju-ju- - but it's 70s! I always have a Badedas bath after a run. Here you go:

3 likes

Oh I say... This would not translate well to my life though. I don't have a bathtub, and if someone were to try to usurp my place in the shower he would be bludgeoned with the loofah.

5 likes

LOL, how could you resist him? And don't you love all the allusions to orgasm and ejaculation - they certainly spelled it out in those days.

Definitely, advertising today is quite tame and subtle by comparison.

1 like

That’s an 80’s thing and I remember it

2 likes

They did have Badedas in the 70s though - my sister bought me some for Christmas in around 1970/71

1 like

You did it though! I think we tend to focus on distance and forget the achievement that is just keeping going for over an hour - no mean feat. To carry on so long when you're not really feeling like it takes a lot of mental strength. And they are kilometres in the bank regardless, which are building up your running legs.

2 likes

Thank you - yes, more ks in the bank, and it gets easier despite today's struggle. I wouldn't have dreamt of running for an hour when i graduated in January x

Nice work Flick 😊

1 like

Thank you. You can certainly work up to 10k gradually. You're already doing 5. It took me over 3 weeks post graduation to do it.

1 like

It will be very gradual if i ever do!!!

1 like

It's like c25k, you look ahead and think eek, but week by week you build on your progress. Now I'm at 7k (only two more than you're doing already) 10 looks very possible.

2 likes

I guess...might be worth a try 😊

1 like

In time, after consolidating your runs for a while maybe 😊

1 like

Yes...i definately need to do some more on that first x

1 like

Wow! 10k on the horizon now Flick! Remember when we were struggling with 25 mins of running back in the day?

Stop. Turn round and admire the view ( how far you've come .)

1 like

I know. It’s amazing, you more than me, but we’re both progressing all the time!

1 like

Flick a massive well done on your achievement !👏👏👍😀😀

You are going great guns ! And that time is fantastic.

I haven’t ran since Sunday I’m just resting my ankle and it is getting better. I hope to finish WK 3 this weekend.

Once again Flick well done😀😀

Happy running🏃‍♀️🏃‍♀️

1 like

Aw, thanks Maggie. My daughter just did her first 10k - only took her and hour, but then she is 33 years younger lol.

So sorry about your ankle, but you might run better forbthe rest. Good luck for Sunday xxx

1 like

I ran with my daughter last night. She graduated 0-5k a few weeks ago, she put me through my paces :) Then again she has a 30 year advantage! I'm finishing wk 2 so 6k for me on Friday...... it's really encouraging to see everyone's work, so well done and thanks for your posts x

1 like

I haven't run with my daughter yet. she's a lot faster than me, but then where she runs is a lot flatter!

Do post your 6k run when you do it! x

Thanks Flick ! These youngsters their so much better than us aren’t they ? hee! 🤣🤣

I bet you’ll soon catch up to her! 😀😀

Yes I’m sure the rest will do me good. After work tomorrow I’m off for two weeks so I’ll be able to pack some running in,except for 23rd of March when I’m going to a recording studio in Cardiff to record two songs😲😲This was my birthday experience from my super hubby for my 60th. So I’m excited about that as this is something I’ve always wanted to do.!

Will keep you posted on that one.

Take care Flick x

1 like

Oh, wow, how exciting! Will we get to hear the result? You take care too 😊 x

1 like

Really well done Flick!

1 like

Thank you 😊

Well apparently when I been and experienced they studio will e mail me the finished product ....so you never know you might! But don’t worry I won’t let the fame get in the way of my running! hee! hee! Who am I kidding!🤣🤣

1 like

I shallwant your autograph of course 😍😍😍

1 like

Of course! 😀😀

That was a wee bit like gobbledygook ! Apologies and I hope you could understand. 😀😀 what I meant to say was when I have had my birthday experience the studio will.....etc etc! 😀😀

1 like

Lol, dont worry, Imworkd it out xx

1 like

X😀

Fantastic, you did it! Absolutely nothing wrong with slow and steady! I only managed 3k today - felt rubbish and had a very tight left calf muscle so I gave in and shortened my run.

You didn’t give up though - sometimes a run builds mental muscle and willpower stamina more than physical and that’s just as valuable!

Bask in hat Badedas moment - sadly I am old enough to remember it!

1 like

Thank you! I think you are right about the mental muscle: it seems I have to battle that one every time I go out at the moment :(

I really enjoyed that hot B|adedas bath, even though the bloke on the horse failed to turn up yet again!

I think it’s a great achievement. I’m looking forward to getting there myself this week at some point. So I’m using you as inspiration! I’m also going to use the advert as inspiration - because you know, visualisation can help 😳😂

1 like

That made me chuckle good luck and post when you've done it! X

1 like

Wow, what a run! Even though you struggled, you admit that there are improvements (great that you have recovered your breathing). You're doing fantastically well with the hills! Don't you worry about the pace. I ran the 7K on flat ground and I found it quite challenging: it felt long (first time for me as well) and the next day, my knees reminded me of their existence lol. Have a great well-deserved rest (did you get that massage ;-)?)!

And no, the wretched horseman failed to turn up yet again!

ah you need to find someone who's more reliable ;-) I've never seen the ad but I figure it's very tacky!

1 like

There is a link further up this thread. Actually, dont tell anyone, but I still fancy the pants off Mr I dont snore, but he’s never carried me off on a horse.

1 like

ahaha

The ad is amazing: tacky is not strong enough a word to describe it! More like soapy and cheesy lol It would be banned today. Thank you for this piece of pop culture :-)

1 like

Yep, all of those, and more sexually suggestive than would be allowed today.

Ah, thank you so much for the encouragement xx

Well done Flick! Slow and steady wins the race... and you're definitely winning on the road to 10k! Had forgotten about Badedas horseman - hilarious advert. I'd rather he swooped me up onto the horse for a good gallop other than ruined my bath! I'm not doing as well as you - the last dollop of snow coincided with a bad bout of sinusitis so I've just started back doing small distances to build myself up to 5k again before getting back to Ju-Ju's plan - next week I hope!

I agree, being carried off on the horse would be much more exciting - though i rather gather that the bath had already ended - complete with oorgasmic sighs and stretches - before he arrived, so maybe the abduction happens after! And sorry to hear about your setback. i hope you are back up to speed soon!

1 like

tis I Lecler

Well Flick don't be putting yourself down lass that looks like a corking run to me and be honest just go back a very short distance in time and you would never have thought this was even possible and absolutely nothing wrong with that pace.

Also Oldfloss told me (several times) that hills are character building so you really must have tremendous character with all the hills you're climbing, keep it up Girly you are doing great xxx

1 like

Thank you! you are so sweet and encouraging! What a nice bunch of people on here :) I'm knackered today and will be taking an extra rest day methinks! xxx

You may also like...