Bridge to 10K
8,588 members10,209 posts

Week 1 of 10 is the Magic Number 10k Plan completed

Phew, that was a struggle. I was going to run yesterday, but I had a breast lump scare and had to go to the Churchill Hospital, Oxford for scans (it turned out to be fine), and we were late getting home.

Anyway, I was knackered today and it was just one of those runs that was a struggle from start to finish, and I thought 5k would never arrive! My inhaler ran out mid week and I haven't been able to pick up a refill yet, so my breathing wasn't great for the first half of the run, and I could have done with more sleep. One surprise though, it was very frosty ( -2 feels like -4 apparently), and if I had known the pavements were so icy i would have stayed at home, and consequently was going what I thought was super slowly so as not to slip, so was surprised when I looked at the run stats to see that it was actually faster than the previous run.

I also had a very nasty and persuasive gremlin muttering darkly all the way round: what do you want to go out there for when it's nice and warm in here?; nobody can expect you to run today when you could do with another hour's sleep; look at that frost, I should turn round and go home; you can't expect to run very far at your age, take up macrame instead; look at that slope, you'll never run up that; you've done 3k, that's enough for today; you're just not up to this 5-10k lark.

Isn't it strange that you can struggle and force yourself to do something like today's run, can't wait for it to end, yet you come back and the high hits you and you can't wait to do it again.

47 Replies
oldestnewest

Well done, have you got a new inhaler now? Please do be careful out there and keep your chest warm.....

1 like

Hi ju-ju- , thank you. I'm going into Oxford on Monday to collect the inhaler. I'm not actually asthmatic, just allergic to one of my dogs! so the longer I run the better the breathing gets. And luckily I didn't slip - people say the On Cloudflyers aren't good in wet and slippery conditions, but they've been fine for me - partly, I think, because the pavements here are quite rough.

2 likes

Great, perhaps stay away from your dog? Rough pavements definitely help with icy weather.... as do good shoes!!

1 like

LOL, I do escape upstairs where he doesn't often go. He's kind of just there and sheds hair all the time. The cats and the other dog don't affect me, but Dennis has a dense, soft undercoat that makes me really wheeze.

Are those wipes you can get any good?

1 like

I dont know, I havent tried them. An American Facebook friend told me about them recently.

Fantastic effort Flick. I know exactly what you mean about that gremlin. I'm always battling him too, I procrastinate terribly getting out the door but generally always feel good afterwards. I love following your progress for some reason and sorry to hear about the scare, but glad all is well. Go Flick! week 2 cometh :)

3 likes

Ah, thank you! Im a procrastinator too with running, but I never ever regret getting out there. I wonder if we will feel more enthusuastic when the milder weather comes ❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️

1 like

You bet! New summer wardrobe.. means sports shop shopping :)

1 like

Ooh I hadn't thought of that 😃😃😃

Oh bless you. Good on you for getting out there. You are one determined lady!

1 like

Why, thank you kind sir. Im glad I did, though I need to fuel up on carbs now 🍞🥐🥪🍟🥟🥧🍰🍿

Heehee. I have a Guinness after almost every run :)

4 likes

🍺🍺🍺😂

1 like

Watch the grub peeps! Keep it healthy and you’ll run better. Youll do everything better! 💪😃🏃‍♀️🏃‍♂️

3 likes

Worry not dear lady, I'm a slim and healthy vegan. I eat carbs after a run and still weigh less on the scales next day. Most of my diet is fruit, veg, salad, nuts, seeds, soya, whole grains and other virtuous stuff, but I have to admit to the odd bag of donuts, with accompanying sugar down my bra - not every week you understand, but I see no harm in the occasional treat.

Edit: what I actually had was pasta with tomato sauce, humous, sliced avocado and olive oil, followed by a soya yogourt :)

2 likes

Hmmm, doughnut sugar induced breast lump mebbe?

1 like

Snort, splutter 😂😂😂🍩🍩🍩 (except they werent chocolate)

Well done Flick! Good work in shooing away the gremlins.

So sorry about the scare - always a horrid experience - but very glad it was promptly shown to be nothing to worry about.

Time to shave Dennis?!

2 likes

Thanks Helene. Regarding the lump, intuitively I felt it would be ok, so was luckily not TOO worried, but it's a relief to find out it's a small, harmless thing, possibly caused by my shock absorber bra!

I must nag Mr I don't snore I'm not even asleep. He promised to get Dennis clipped at the end of this month, but no sign of him booking it yet. Apparently Dennis keeping his posh pants and furry ruff is more important than my breathing, and isn't it cat hair that's causing it anyway? what is it with men and dogs??? Honestly, I know who he would save first if the house was burning down ;(

2 likes

They do say if you want to know who your best friend is: Put your wife and your dog in the boot of your car. Drive quickly round the country lanes for 20 minutes. Open the boot. Which one is pleased to see you?

6 likes

Lol, that’s hilarious!

Hi Flick! Glad to read that all is well after yesterday’s worry!

Well done for this mornings run and completion of W1 10K. I’m afraid I didn’t venture out this morning as it was very very icy ! . Anyway I wanted to do my hiit training, on treadmill.which I did.

So tomorrow I shall complete the last run for me of the W1 10K. Then in the afternoon will be watching the rugby yippee! “Come on Wales”!🏈🏉

Happy running and keep warm😀😀

1 like

Thanks Maggie!

Luckily the pavements werent too slippery today, despite the frost, though I did mince carefully along. Treadmill is a last resort for me.

Looking forward to your post about to orrow’s run. Yeah, come on Wales!, x

1 like

Cool! 🏃😀😀

2 likes

Glad your OK, good news, keep on running!

Thank you. Yes, looking forward to week 2😊

Go Flick.... well done you... lumps, bumps, scares, snores, ice and inhalers...... you have done brilliantly!

The Gremlins are a real pain... here is one to makes you smile:)

healthunlocked.com/bridgeto...

You go girl... you are doing just fine:)

Thank you kind lady :) Qmd oh, my goodness, a gremlin with a hairy stomach and a bottle of port! nd are those y-fronts I see? x

Glad to hear all is ok and well done on week 1. About to venture out for my last run of week 1. Was expecting bad ice today but looks ok out there from the comfort of my lounge at the moment!

I love your comments regarding the gremlins it just sounds so familiar! Those mind games are a real pain especially in the early stages of the run.

Thank you :) and good luck with today's run. That gremlin was extremely pernicious. Usually they shut up after ten minutes, if indeed they accompany me at all.

Glad all is ok after your scare, hope you get your inhaler soon - I've almost run out too & forgot to put it on my repeat prescription. I've got a taped up ankle after getting a twinge at the end of a run 2 weeks ago so am on the IC for a short while with physio instructions not to do long runs for a bit. Think with this weather that suits me fine! Take care in the cold & ice.

Yes, i need to go into Oxford on Monday and pick it up. Ouch for your ankle and hope it's better soon. With this cold, the couch is probably the best place to be!

1 like

But you persisted, and that’s great! Even a bad run adds to your strength and stamina, that’s what I always console myself with. I don’t feel so bad about bad runs these days.

Glad that your scare turned out to be nothing in the end but glad that you got it checked out. What a day you had!

Shave Dennis and get him a furry dog suit (made of non-allergic fabric); Mr I Don’t Snore will never notice!

Sadie-runs xxx

2 likes

In the “old” days, I used to think that if I had a bad run, I would never manage a run again. Now it doesnt bother me. Im still clocking up miles and developing stamina.

Haha, yes, a furry dog suit sounds an excellent idea. I clipped him myself last year and Mr I dont snore still laments how it broke his heart!

Hi Flick, well done - what determination- gremlin well and truly pancaked! Very pleased to hear you are ok. 😃

1 like

Thank you 😊

Yes, that 👹 was very persuasive. I havent had one for a while, so I think he must have been saving it up for a concentrated attack!

Wow! 😬 I think you just, physically and psychologically, ran a mini- version of the Bataan Death March there Flick! Well done and glad your diagnosis was clear :)

1 like

Thank you :)

1 like

phew, glad you're alright, and now may I just admit that "take up macrame instead" made me laugh out loud! Well done on the running - am hoping to keep up with you now ;) .

Definitely also another vote for clipping Dennis yourself! As a sticking plaster, I can't remember this being suggested, but I have a spray for allergens, which I used to use in the early days of cat-owning (that is, being owned by cats), I don't know for sure if it worked on me or if it was a nice-smelling placebo. allersafe.co.uk/bio-life-ai... is the one I have.

1 like

Haha, I wasnt sure anyone would know what macrame was! A suitable occupation for old ducks though 🧖‍♀️

Thanks for the link. Will check that out. As for Dennis, you are right, I should really take matters into my own hands, since Mr I dont snore has no intention of getting his beloved blood brother shorn!

I missed this post somehow, so belated congrats! Good news about the scare false alarm.

Gremlins - mine have been a bit more vocal after my last long run - " Run a short one again today! You nearly popped your clogs after that long bash last week! Only 4km and you're struggling fool, give up!" I wont tho.

Keep it up. Week 2, onwards and upwards!

1 like

Thank you for both sentiments :)

A short run after a long one is sometimes a good idea - it seems to kind of reset your body, then you can press on with the next one. I have to use the treadmill today as snow and slippery pavements outside. Oh, for a bat cave ...

1 like

Oh no.. not the dreadmill. Was just thinking I hadn't see you posting lately, hope the dreadmill isn't too awful.

1 like

Ghastly... I cant set it very fast or I run over the sides or off the end as it's so small. it really is a last resort! I thought i would do all three runs of the 10k plan this week before posting. People must be sick to death of hearing from me!

Yeah your probably right... best to keep quiet for a bit :)

Lol.. don't be daft, was worried you'd cacked it halfway up a hill somewhere lol. I had to run on a treadmill to do the gait analysis thing yesterday and it was only 10 seconds at a time, even that was awful. Though it wasn't the finest of treadmills mind you. If the head cold isn't too bad I will try to run in the wintery conditions this evening as i'm keen to try my new cloudflyers, even if they are knwn to have very little grip :(

1 like

No dear, I'm still here, trembling up and down hills on my zimmer frame, so not popped my clogs just yet. Anyway, aren't you supposed to go through the incontinent and dribbling phase first? Though, judging by the ads Facebook is still throwing my way, I already have.

I've been running in rain and frost in mine and never slipped once. i think they may have improved the grip because of so many reviews mentioning it.

1 like

You may also like...