Can anyone give me some advice on working with CoPD and being disciplined for being absent?

Hi, I am worried about my CoPD loosing me my job. I've around 15 day off sick this year and my manager wants to discipline me for being absent. I don't know what to do or say to her as I know I only have time off when I'm really on my knees with chest infections. Can she really sack me? I need to work I am only 54 and love my job and not ready to be put on the scrap heap just yet. All advise welcome :)

2 Replies

oldestnewest
  • What a surprise, most employers are more understanding. I had a very understanding boss, I was an accountant and certain times of the month, I had deadlines, so there were times when I went to work when I should have stayed home (I'm retired now).

You may start with going to your Human Resource Dept. You don't want to upset or step on your boss's toes, but approach HR as asking questions about time off, and chronic illnesses. Are you able to get your work done and meet deadlines with having the time off? Would you be putting your workload on someone else when you are absent?

Here in the states there are laws that prevent employers firing due to chronic illnesses.

By working with your boss and HR, there could be solutions.

Good luck, Beth

• Disability Discimina. They HAVE to be seen to have tried. tion law stops you being fired for ill health unless the company have tried to accommodate you and it does not work for the business They HAVE to be seen to have tried. Look at this..give ACAS a call for advice acas.org.uk/index.aspx?arti...