My wife had a mammogram that detected a small mass in one of her breasts in October of 2017. She was then instructed to have a sonogram, which she did a week later, which verified the mammogram finding to be a 5 mm mass. She was then told to wait six months and have another mammogram to see if the mass has grown. That mammogram happened a few days ago and we were happy to find out that the mass is still the same size. After that conclusion our family doctor now wants her to have an MRI of the breast and we have a meeting with him in a week to discuss this procedure.
My wife is a mess and just wants to know so my questions are;
1) Why would he want yet another very expensive image test to verify what two other image tests have already verified?
2) Can an MRI determine if it is cancerous?
3) I’ve done some reading about this procedure and unless the hospital has a special MRI machine for breasts the MRI is not going to give much more information than the mammogram or sonogram. Is this correct?
4) Can’t we just request a biopsy?
Thank you very much in advance.