Can anyone recommend a endocrinologist who spe... - Bone Health

Bone Health
3,012 members1,185 posts

Can anyone recommend a endocrinologist who speciases in Osteoporosis/HRT in the London area?



As I am only 46 I know i am in this for the long term and would like to see an endocrinologist. As I have also gone through the early menopause and am on HRT I would like someone who has awareness of the two for a holistic approach? Any recommendations? Thanks

8 Replies

I am afraid I cannot but I can recommend one to avoid although he is said to be the expert on OP, that is Dr John Stevenson who I saw privately and tried to convince me to start on Prolia towards the end of 2016. He said try it for two or three years knowing I had an auto immune disorder and dismissed any side effects. Weeks later, it was officially announced by the makers of this dreadful stuff that it had to be taken permanently as leaving it off could cause rebound fractures. This was verified by my local hospital rheumatologist. The problem is, particularly in this country, GP's and rheumatologists are all too willing to push bisphosphonates on to you.

It is best to do your own research on all of these drugs. I will say, in my opinion, from what I have read that HRT and a healthy diet with good supplements (not calcium carbonate which our GP's prescribe) along with magnesium, boron and vitamin K2. Also, if you are able try and get a blood test done for parathyroid and vitamin D. There are drugs to avoid as well which can cause osteoporosis, eg the ppi's like omeprazole, gabapentin which was first created for epilepsy but now given as a nerve pain relief.

I belong to the NOF forum in the US and many of the ladies there have had fractures whilst taking Prolia (denosumab) and bisphosphonates.

in reply to elaine2447

Thanks for this helpful info.. What calcium would you recommend? I have been taking calcium carbonate prescribed by my GP. x

in reply to Jumpey

No to calcium carbonate, it's cheap rubbish, chalk, the reason they prescribe it. There are other decent calciums about, you need to google. I can't take calcium because of my ignored parathryoidism.

I saw this but you need to do your own research, there are many around. I always look on Amazon as they seem to have the largest range.

Ranking the best calcium supplements of 2019

Kirkland Signature Calcium Citrate Magnesium and Zinc. ...

GNC Calcium Plus 1000. ...

New Chapter Bone Strength Calcium. ...

Nature Made Calcium with Vitamin D. ...

Swanson Calcium Citrate and Vitamin D. ...

Solgar Calcium Magnesium with Vitamin D3. ...

Rainbow Light Calcium Citrate Mini-tablets. ...

Solaray Calcium Magnesium Zinc.

Main thing is to take magesnium, glycinate is better than citrate as can cause bowel issues, also taking vitamin K2 Mk 4 or mk7 (I take a combined capsule) and Boron.

in reply to elaine2447


I am so sorry to hear this and thank you Elaine2447 for taking the time to reply.... You really do have to have your eyes wide open an research everything and cannot rely on the specialists or doctors.

As I have been through the early menopause I am going to continue down the HRT route, supplements, diet, excercise and go from there. I am waiting for my blood tests at the moment (I have just found out from the Menopause Clinic that I had some blood tests done in May which showed low Vit D and Estrogen but nobody told me!).

I hope you manage to find something that works for you xxx

in reply to TNM46

Thanks, I have all but given up now, over the past 3.5 years, have got through almost £7000 on useless endos, ultrasounds, blood tests, nuclear scans, ct scans. It all mounts up but cant afford any more and now I am back at the most useless endocrine department in my local hospital. The new endo has more or less dismissed me and come back in a year.I have Hashimotos, primary hyperparathryoidism and severe osteoporosis. But if you dont do what they want, like taking bisphosphonates etc. they are inclined to drop you. I would never take any of the poisons they try to push on us. There are still thousands or law suits outstand in the u.s.a. against Merck who first introduced Fosomax. Now there license has expired many other pharmas are pushing this stuff out under a different name. All very well for these people to tell you how crippled you will be etc if you dont take what they want but how many would actually give their own mothers or wives this stuff???

Why not ask your primary care doctor for a referral or google and then call each office to see if the doc specializes in osteoporosis. That's what I did. I reside in USA.

Having had a quick look through your posts a few points you might consider:

Ask GP to order an Ultrasound scan of your Thyroid and Parathyroids. Ask if you need a PTH blood test.

Have you ever had any Thyroid Function blood tests?

Do you have any symptoms of an Underactive Thyroid? (Look up symptoms on the Thyroid UK website ).

You have discovered that your Vitamin D level is low - have you seen any other blood tests results for Calcium and Phosphorus in particular? You should have had tests to check Bone, Kidney & Liver (I would have thought).

Also ask GP for blood test to check levels of Magnesium, B12, Folate and Ferritin.

Are you under any Consultants?

Ask GP for referals to a Rheumatologist and an Endocrinologist.

Ask for Antibodies blood tests.

Do you know that anyone in UK can now obtain copies of their medical records free of charge (since new rules in May 2018 ).

Contact hospital to find out name & email address of person who deals with the requests. It may be someone in Medical Records Department or Legal Services. Requests copies of all records - scan and blood tests reports etc , written notes and computer records. You can also ask for copies of images, they would probably put them on a cd. You can also ask for copies of GP (or any) records free of charge.

Whenever you have blood tests always ask GP practice for a print out of full results and comments.

You may also like...