Bone Health
2,033 members711 posts

Spinal fracture treatment

Has anyone on here who has had a spinal fracture had them treated by cementing. Or are they always just left to heal naturally.

21 Replies
oldestnewest

Hi well mine was just left (wedge fracture of T11)...in fact I was dstraught to know I had a FRACTURE of my spine but nothing was done or made of it at all at my GP's surgery.

Maybe it depends how severe and where fracture is.

1 like

I know what you mean. I kept going to gp with severe pain after lifting furniture. He kept insisting it was muscle strain. Finally I saw a physiotherapist who asked him to send me for an mri scan. He wouldn't do that but did arrange an x-ray which showed the fracture. Only then did he start to take action and arranged the DXA scan. Now on medication. Still in pain nearly 5 months on from initial injury so it obviously hasn't healed.

I had 8 vertebral fractures and had vertebroplasty on 3 that hadn’t healed. I don’t regret having it done. I still get some pain from the fracture area but not nearly as severe as it was.

Thanks molly, was this in the uk. Did they willingly offer the treatment or did you have to battle to get anything done.

Yes in the UK. Didn’t have to battle it was offered.

I have a vertebra fracture as well but was told that I couldn't get the procedure because they couldn't determine how old the fracture was. Do they have to catch it in a certain time frame? My understanding is within a few months.

I was under that impression too. Mine has dragged on for so long I don't reckon they will do anything now.

I had 4 spinal fractures, they were left to heal by themselves but I still have pain 2 years later. Don't know why.

This is what worries me. I so want to be able to go back to line dancing but can't possibly if the pain doesn't improve

I was prescribed Forteo...a nightly injection of parathoyroid hormore which actuaally heals fracture and increases bone. Only taken for max of 2 years. I read that if cement is used then you have stong fracture vertebrae with weakened vert above and bone and it can spiral more fractures. My consultant said once I had 2 L! & L2 fractures then best to use Forsteo. Improves bone by 18% over 2 years.

Hi

I had kyphoplasty on 3 off my fractures of the spine

He also did put some in a small fracture I had either side of my main fractures to stable my spine

I don’t regret having it done

I lifted a heavy washing machine that caused mine

Doctor kept insisting it was muscular for months

I payed to see a consultant and mri once my consultant got my results he referred me back on nhs and he performed the surgery

Since found out I have osteoporosis of the spine so now I am taking Forteo daily injections

For me it gave me my life back

Thanks folks for your replies. I have an appointment on Wednesday with orthopedic triage so I'm guessing that's when I will find out if anything is going to be done.

I have a spinal fracture following 2 femurs (L and R) a year apart both now pinned. The cement procedure was mooted but decided against . Pain killers are prescribed as my back aches constantly but that is all. Interested to hear what you do. Gillymar.

I will let you know the outcome of this week's appointment. I have most of my discomfort if I stand still for more than a couple of minutes and if I try to lay flat on my back. The DXA scan was excruciating it reduced me to tears getting on and off that hard couch. I'm sure it put the healing process back

The orthopaedic triage guy organised an MRI which I had this morning but I doubt I'll get results till after Christmas now

You may like to get the summary of the Cochrane review - Percutaneous vertebroplasty for osteoporotic vertebral compression fracture (April I think but earlier in 2018)

Buchbinder R, Johnston RV, Rischin KJ, Homik J, Jones CA, Golmohammadi K, Kallmes DF.

It helped me understand a little better, but my 8 fractures had healed by the time it was offered. Good Luck

Posy White

1 like

I

I had kyphoplasty on my T8 and T9 vertebrae 4 years ago. I sustained 3 rib fractures during the procedure but am over all that now. I still take pain killers but am well controlled now. I would say go for it as my pain before I had it done was intolerable and I have a high pain threshold

1 like

Hi. I’m new. I’m 66 yrs old. I did not intend to retire and close my business.

I had 2 idiopathic vertebrae fractures of L1 & L3 that was repaired with vetboplasty on January 9, 2018. It took four different doctors before I could get a CT scan. Finally I felt great! Was told to wait 3 days and return to work and limit lifting to 10#. I could touch my toes!!! Yay!! Three weeks later I broke L2 while reaching into the cabinet, during a Super Bowl party. Had another vetrobroplasty. This time the pain didn’t stop. Nine months later I had 2 epidurals to quiet the pain FROM THE SURGERY UGH ! That is also when they told me I had osteoporosis. I take Tramadol 3x daily and another fist full of meds to just feel like getting up.

Next year I plan to work with a trainer for weight training. I read on another message board a statement that we should change our language around osteoporosis. We should call it a Bone Attack. If we had a Heart Attack we would be aggressive in our treatment. I’m going to start Tymos in the new year and pray for no side effects. My skeleton is breaking and I have to find some way to help my body.

Thank you for this message board and I hope you can all get a Doctor to order the vetbroplasty or kyphoplasty. I can’t imagine living with the shocks until healed on its own. I think I could have killed Superheroes with the lightening bolts coming from my spine. : )

Take care and it’s going to be a Happy New Year

1 like

Lightning bolts that is an excellent way of describing what is happening. I'm convinced something must be getting trapped when that happens. I agree I can't carry on putting up with this happening. I just hope the mri scan showed something that can be fixed. Shouldn't have to wait much longer for the results.

I hope they see the fracture and can get you some relief. I also had to do the bone scan and mri and it took 2 people to get me off the table. I know what you felt. They gave me morphine every 3 hrs for 4 days before I could get scheduled with the intervention radiologist but I made it. Let us know how you are doing.

You may also like...