What household cleaning products do you use?

Some household cleaning products do have a very strong smell. For a long time I've avoided them as much as I can because I just plain don't like the smell. For kitchen and bathroom surfaces I use Method products as they are natural and "breathable". They are more expensive and never seem to be on offer but they do last a long time as not much is needed.

However I'm struggling to find a toilet gel/cleaner. At the moment I use Asda toilet gel (£1 for two bottles) but like most others it's quite strong and opening the window doesn't make it much better. I really need to change it ASAP. Has anyone found a toilet cleaner with minimal smell, preferably not much more expensive than the Asda one?

9 Replies

oldestnewest
  • You could try one of these blocks you put in the cisteren they work very well, and to give a scub a bit of baking powder sprinkeld in the bowl

• Whoops,scub means scrub,,,forgot to read it first....

• Hi seasidesusie

There are lots of instructions on the internet about natural products. One uses white vinegar and baking soda.

ehow.com/how_5852788_clean-...

Allergy UK also has information on products they endorse, this may be worth looking at.

allergyuk.org/products-and-...

Cheers

Jo

• White vinegar and baking soda - great idea, I've got both in my cupboard. Thanks Jo.

• Hello everyone

I use Star drops it's brilliant for everything, usually pick it up for £1, good old fashioned product been around since 1946.

Kim

• I've got some Stardrops too but I would have thought it would be too frothy for cleaning inside a toilet bowl. Have you tried it for that?

• Yes I use it on the toilet, it's brilliant makes everything shine.

Kim

• We have a small green BnB and use all cleaners from Ecover and the likes. I always forget I have a problem till I go in someone else's house. Yes we use vinegar for cleaning most things, especially glass.

• Vinegar, and baking soda, also lemon is very effective. I cant use household cleaners with chemicals, or washing comfort sloutions, lots of things set me off. I dont have very advanced copd, but bad enough and lots of strong smells get on my chest, or in my throat. Petrol is another, and whenever im in garage, i have to cover nose and mouth. Makes me feel quite sick too. Some perfumes are bad, but fortunately ive found ones i like that dont affect me. (i love perfumes).Nail varnish is a no no, but if i put it on i wear a mask to do so.Toilets clean very well with bicarb, or denture cleaning fluid or tablets. There are some cheap ones around. Hope you find success.

You may also like...