Do I need to see my GP?

I have suffered from asthma for many years and was diagnosed with Obstructive Sleep Apneoa in 2009. I saw my consultant at Respiratory Clinic this week, (sleep apneoa check up) and after discussing how things have been, he said that he was pretty sure that I now also have COPD. Given my history, that I am a smoker and a family history, I was a high risk for COPD and I am now exhibiting signs and symptoms. I am registered disabled due to above conditions and other health and mobility issues. My question is, do I now need to see my own GP to get the diagnosis confirmed? Would I need treatment straightaway?

7 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Short answer is yes get a diagnosis as Asthma is another condition with it's own treatment if COPD is confirmed treatment will need adjusting for the new condition.

• You could speak to your GP but I would suggest you speak to your consultant about doing proper tests as your GP would, or should, refer you to the consultant for proper checks.

• Thanks for your replies. My consultant said he could not do the tests as I only see him for the OSA. So I guess I will need to see my GP to refer me for the COPD tests.

• The other thing you need to do is stop smoking.

Lynne x

• I know I have to stop smoking. That is something else I will be asking my GP about. I tried previously but had allergic reactions to patches. I cannot use the gum either as I have severe digestive problems and the gum disagrees with me. I am going to try the electronic cigarette and hopefully that will help me stop.

• Just stop smoking NOW. Then you can tell your GP. Dont bother to ask him, he will say a big no. What you need to do, rileys mum, get the right mind to stop smoking. You can and should stop now. I stopped without any aids. I took one day at a time. Alive at the end of the first, and tried a second. That was back in 1998. The money saved was spent on a treat, and not patches and gum. ALL THE BEST

• Thank you for all the replies.

I recieved a copy of the letter that my consultant sent to my GP. I have been busy "translating" the terms used, lol. Most of the terms relate to my Apneoa and Asthma.

The consultant has suggested a spirometry as it has been 2 years since my last test, but there is no mention of COPD, only poorly controlled airway disease, which I would assume refers to my Asthma? The consultant suggests that if the spirometry confirms airway obstruction that my GP starts me on TIOTROPIUM.

I am still not convinced that I have COPD. I have just had a very bad cold, and although my Asthma was slightly worse, wheezing etc, I did not feel any more breathless etc than usual. I have been left with a productive chesty cough, but that is par the course for me following a cold.

I am expecting a phone call from my GP surgery to make an appt for spirometry etc, hopefully I will get some answers.

You may also like...