A day is not wasted when you learn something new !

Just read your reply caroleoctober about the seller selling out of the Neostar machine (good sign), so yes good job I didn't prevaricate, now that word prevaricate is new to me obviously you and Libby know what it means, I am thinking it obviously means 'I didn't hang about' - A day is not wasted when you learn something new !

Lib x

8 Replies

oldestnewest
  • I know what it means. I will tell you later. :)

• Couldn't you just tell me now, I mean why later. I would think it means 'don't hang about'

Going to find the dictionary.

Lib x

• It means beating about the bush or, in my case, faffing about wondering what to do about a particular thing! LOL Libby

• I think the word you want is 'procrastinate' which means putting off something - I know this one because I was always being accused of it when it was time for breathing exercises.

Prevaricate means not telling the truth, something which I have also occasionally been accused of - as in 'the dog ate my homework'.

• Just so Jabber - to prevaricate is to evade the truth, mislead or create a false impression.

• Sorry, but like lots of words, prevaricate has various meanings in common use:

Cambridge Dictionaries Online

Synonims for prevaricate: BEAT AROUND THE BUSH circumlocution digress equivocate gloss over sth GO ALL ROUND THE HOUSES. fly off at a tangent implicit indirect mealy-mouthed mincing obfuscate oblique obscure skirt suggestion TALK ROUND/AROUND sth tiptoe round/around sth/sb underlying veiled

Wiktionary

Verb

prevaricate (third-person singular simple present prevaricates, present participle prevaricating, simple past and past participle prevaricated)

(transitive, intransitive, obsolete) To deviate, transgress; to go astray (from).

(intransitive) To shift or turn from direct speech or behaviour; to evade the truth; TO WAFFLE or be (intentionally) ambiguous.

The people saw the politician prevaricate every day.

(intransitive, law) To collude, as where an informer colludes with the defendant, and makes a sham prosecution.

Wiktionary

From the Scots WAFFLE, "to waver, to flutter",

Libby

• Too much information - makes my head ache!

• Ha ha, it's just when someone tells you you're wrong about something and you know you're not, you feel obliged to prove them wrong!! I don't know why, but it seems to happen to me a lot! But no-one ever apologises!

You may also like...