The increase in domestic wood burning heating and smoke

I live out in the country and i find when we have weather as we are having now that the smoke in the air from these stoves and bonfires really messes up my breathing, and i have to stay inside.

i am a very concerned about the policy of burning carbon neutral products for energy, generating electricity ,and that it may mean we have to stay indoors more, any one else thought about this? or are having any problems with wood burning smoke,

9 Replies

oldestnewest
  • yes richard i agree with you.I have been known to put my foot down in the car if i smelll smoke from fires while out driving.

• I agree too. Whilst I don't live in the countryside I did suffer around bonfire night.

• i too have noticed with burning makes life more difficult my nans copd was caused by tending pete fires

• I have 3 open fires that supply all my heat...I too live in the country, very rural....I moved here 3 years ago but I don't find the fires have affected my breathing at all. Smoke doesn't seem to aggrevate me but fumes from buses and cars etc certainly do. Luckily I live on a single track lane that nobody uses unless they live here.

I've found the smokeless coal is much harder to burn so I stick to coal and logs, getting a wood burner in January so that'll warm this place up!

Mike x

• hello i have a wood burner too, but my point is that if power generators all move over to wood and other [carbon neutrals]? and there are more wood burners domestic, i find that in times of low presure in our town that the wood smoke realy makes my breathing worse,

Richard

• I have a problem around bonfire night too. I posted before on a different thread that copd is diagnosed in African rural regions in women who dont smoke at all, but do all their cooking over wood in unventilated spaces. jean

• We burn logs on our open fire indoors and yes, at the end of the evening I'm choked up, literally!

Strangely enough when I exit the room I experience a really good bout of coughing after which my breathing is much 'clearer', if you know what I mean!

So, is it good or is it bad to breathe in these fumes? I don't know!

• Hi Richard

I live in a very wooded rural area where bonfires are ablaze all year round. It just drives me totally nuts especially as I love the windows open but have to be so very careful all the time. This cottage has three fireplaces (one with a wood burner) but sad to say they haven't been used for many, many years.

• I live in mid Wales in a very rural area. Our only heating is from a solid fuel Rayburn and a wood burner in the living room. The wood burner doesnt seem to emit smoke but the Rayburn does, it fills the house with smoke each time it is lit. It was our only means of cooking as well but we have now been given an electric cooker. If my husband lights the Rayburn I have to shut myself in the bedroom until it starts to burn properly. I have a mask I put on if I have to stoke it while my husband is out. The house is also damp and my health has deffo deteriorated since we moved here.

You may also like...