British Lung Foundation

Does anyone know how many people are suffering from COPD and more to the point why is the goverment not doing anything to help thos affected with this illness, I have stated that i dont think i have this illness because i dont have any symptoms. I was told i was at stage 5 the one before you get a oxegen bottle . and when i went to hospital and blew into that machine i hit 49 or it might have been 41 apart from thos reading i am fine .

4 Replies

Ronneo67 I have had diagnosed COPD for over 20+ years and undiagnosed for many years before that. I have managed to live a full life up until about 6 years ago when it suddenly affected me a lot more, now I seem to be on an even keel and just do what I can when I can, not everyone has to go onto oxygen.

I do not know or want to know what stage I am at or what my levels of this and that are, I just check my oximetre when I am puffier than usual to make sure I am o.k.

Worrying about it won't help just lead a healthy lifestyle if you can and look after yourself.

If you are worried give the BLF helpline a ring they will help with and explanation of your levels.

Just had a quick count up and there's at least a dozen with COPD on here ;-) I don't think there is any official figure, just guesstimates by government departments that are probably keeping those amounts low anyway.

There isn't a stage 5, only 4 stages and the mildest is stage 1, so you're being mis-informed I guess. I referred someone to this page earlier:-

As I said in your other blog, have a chat with the BLF helpline and they should be able to deal with you on a one-to-one basis to help you and point you in the right direction.

Hi ronnoe67, symptoms seem to vary vastly in COPD cases, I have had my symptoms for many years without diagnosis or treatment which I beleive is very common with this illness.In 2008 I had a change of symptoms,during the BLFs campaign to raise awareness of COPD, and was eventually diagnosed as COPD/asthma. Have to say my main symptom is a constant ongoing cough with some breathlessness. I like those above would advise you to seek BLF help and advice , as in the case of COPD symptoms may not be too obvious in the mild stages. Good luck

I have the report in a drawer and your right it's stage 4 .

You may also like...