Neutrophils: Has anyone had success, in... - British Lung Foun...

British Lung Foundation

47,176 members55,848 posts

Neutrophils

Nalakrats
Nalakrats

Has anyone had success, in reducing the surge of Neutrophils with Bronchiectasis Disease. Or have found a Natural Supplement or a Drug that reduces the inflammation of the Bronchi. Last drug I used was Hydroxychloroquine as it worked in Covid-19. Had minor improvement. Looking for more!

Nalakrats

9 Replies
oldestnewest

I’ve experienced positive results when using the herbs Thyme & Mullein for Bronchitis.

Early on in the pandemic hydroxychloroquine was touted as being affective against it. However, subsequently numerous studies have found this not to be the case. It is a drug used against rheumatoid arthritis and has no known use in bronchiectasis.My consutant in the UK began researching into the role of neutraphils in bronchiectasis in the early 1980s. It took many years for other members of the medical and scientific fraternity. Especially as bronchiectasis is very much an otphan condition. There are currently trials taking place into an anti neutraphils drug for bronchiectasis taking place in the UK but experience has taught we patients watch with an element of sceptisism for the eventual roll out of an approved drug for us.

At present management of bronchiectasis consists of scrupulous lung clearance and use of antibiotics for bacterial exacerbations.

Nalakrats
Nalakrats in reply to Littlepom

Had some benefit, as HCQ, is used as an anti-inflammatory for Covid---and it was combined with the top performing Natural Anti-inflammatory supplements like Curcumin, Ginger Extract, Holy Basil, Rosemary Extract, et. al. Got great clearance--without difficulty, but that may have also come from using N-Acetyl Cysteine which at 1000 mgs/tablet, acts in about an hour--opening up the floodgates to have ease of Phlegm removal.

Nalakrats

Littlepom
Littlepom in reply to Nalakrats

The drugs that you have been given including carbocysteine help in one part of bronch management lung clearance. Anti inflammatories are not part of bronch treatment because it is not an inflammatory condition or a virus. Bronchiectasis is damage to the air sacs and airways in which fluid collects. These are brought about by pneumonia or other respiratory infections. RA sometimes causes the damage. This fluid has to be removed every day so that bacteria cannot breed in it. These exacerbations of bacteria need treatment with antibiotics , used in oral, nebulised or IV form. I certainly would not be putting my immune system at risk by taking a heavy anti inflammatory designed to combat RA unless I actually had RA and the drug was prescribed for that, when its uses in bronch are negligable. It is certainly not included in the guidelines for the treatment of bronchiectasis.

Nalakrats

Well yes and no---In my case my Bronchi are inflamed. My Naturopath DR. agrees with trying to reduce the inflammation of the Bronchi Branches/Tubes. The cause of my Bronchiectasis comes from being exposed to Invasive Mold, over a Period of months not known to me. The Mold Spores created the Inflammation, so my disease, is looked at in two ways-->your description+ Inflammation. And the use of Anti-Inflammatories, will not affect the Immune System. A matter of fact most Natural Anti-Inflammatories are Anti-Oxidants, and have great Health Benefits--Blueberries, and American Blackberries, in concentrated form, are used as natural medicines. Curcumin from Turmeric is another one, and I can list over a dozen more.

The premise is-->if there was no Inflammation, there would be no reason for Neutrophils to come to the Bronchi, looking for infectious material. So the Collection of Phlegm and Lab analysis indicates, a mix of Mucus, mixed with Elastin[From Neutrophils], plus a smattering of Free Radical Compounds. CAT Scans are not indicating, that there is Lung Sac involvement--as there has been Bronchoscope, and Lavage washing of the lungs. Small amount of COPD and Asthma--but not requiring treatment. But age of 74, is still concerning.

So I am in a little bit different spot---situation was not caused by Bacteria, or Fugus, or Viral Materials.

Nalakrats

If you have NCFBE, you may be eligible for the (worldwide) ASPEN study, which is evaluating a study drug for potential treatment of NCFBE. I’m new here and not sure if sharing a link to the website is allowed.

Littlepom
Littlepom in reply to Zingerboo

I have just applied so that I can find out more about the drug.

Nalakrats

Thanks

Patk1
Patk1 in reply to Zingerboo

Thanku for this

You may also like...