Lungs of deceased COVID-19 patients s... - British Lung Foun...

British Lung Foundation
44,677 members52,069 posts

Lungs of deceased COVID-19 patients show distinctive features.

2greys
2greys

In a new study in the New England Journal of Medicine (NEJM), senior author, Steven J. Mentzer, MD, thoracic surgeon at Brigham and Women's Hospital, and a team of international researchers examined seven lungs obtained during autopsy from patients who died of COVID-19. They compared this group to seven autopsied lungs obtained from patients who died of acute respiratory distress syndrome secondary to influenza A (H1N1) infection as well as to 10 age-matched uninfected control lungs.

nejm.org/doi/10.1056/NEJMoa...

6 Replies
oldestnewest

There seems to be growing evidence that the lung issues are vascular. It might explain the apparent blood group risk.

heart.org/en/news/2020/01/2...

sciencefocus.com/news/blood...

2greys
2greys
in reply to HappyJo

I have been in no doubt over the issue since I first learnt of it a few months ago.

Bkin
Bkin
in reply to HappyJo

Also great links - thanks HappyJo :)

Very interesting about the blood types

Yatzy
Yatzy
in reply to HappyJo

Pity I’m blood group A, then 😬

Very interesting, thanks 2grey for post link.

I've had my DNA analysis through 23 and me (a gift from a friend in the US) Yesterday I completed their questionnaire in relation to covid-19 so it very much looks like they are going to be looking into the DNA geno link with survivors, symptoms etc, I think there is lot of information being assimilated and the full picture likely will be known in the future.

My own lung CT showed mosaic perfusion first time and ground glass opacity (different hospitals two years apart) this is a non specific finding, but similar to that found in seriously ill coronavirus patients. I had to have a VQ scan to rule out CTEPH. It can mean small airways disease/damage or it can be vascular damage/chronic small blood clots in the lungs.

You may also like...