Shielding: I just saw this on the... - British Lung Foun...

British Lung Foundation
44,613 members51,968 posts

Shielding

Hanne62
Hanne62

I just saw this on the asthma forum, it might be relevant to some of you. It mentions that letters are continuing to go out until 20 April! And also that shielding for 12 weeks is very difficult and people shouldn’t do it unless it’s really necessary (can’t imagine why anyone would!)

asthma.org.uk/advice/trigge...

12 Replies
oldestnewest
Damon1864
Damon1864Volunteer

I don't mind having to stay in for 12weeks better safe than sorry

Have. Good night and take care of yourself 😊 Bernadette xxx 🌈

I feel it’s really necessary to keep Pete and I safe. Xxxx

Thanks for the info, this answers a query I had about an update on my medical records.

This is confusing. Are the Government letters that came out to some people a few weeks ago initially listing certain conditions for the shielding group no longer relevant now? I am not sure what this means. Where did it come from?

I will certainly stay indoors for as long as needed to protect myself from this virus as it can be fatal for anyone with a severe respiratory disease. For the time being, yes, it is really necessary.

Hanne62
Hanne62
in reply to stillmovin

If you’ve already had a letter advising you’re in the extremely vulnerable and need to isolate for 12 weeks, that letter still stands. AUK are just saying that these letters are still being sent out. I agree, it is necessary. But some people, eg those with a terminal diagnosis, might feel they’d rather take their chances than spend precious months separated from their loved ones

MELNEL
MELNEL
in reply to stillmovin

Mein came from Scottish Government, Chief Medical officer, got the second two weeks ago.

anng18
anng18
in reply to stillmovin

Despite having severe/very severe copd - 27%-30% on a good day, I am not, according to GP on shielding list, as I have not had enough steroids during the last year, even though I have had quite a few courses of antibiotics. This, I believe is the new government update, but not completely sure. As such, I have to be careful, but am allowed to go for a walk, if I stay away from people - almost impossible - don't know when someone will appear!

Rather be safe than sorry.

Take care.

Ruby3333
Ruby3333
in reply to stillmovin

Hi I am confused as well not had letter had txt. From DR that’s it but my work nhs refuses to pay me until I get letter.

Ok understood.

I only received my letter yesterday. From reading on other sites there are still one hundred thousand letters to send. However I have not been able to confirm this figure from any official source. It as been quoted by many but nobody can tell me who actually said it.

I don’t mind staying in for 12 weeks if it keeps me and my family safe. Now that I have got onto a supermarkets vulnerable persons list, I don’t have the worry of my daughter having to do my shopping.

They seem to be changing the goal posts on a weekly basis ... no mention now of age or COPD.....prescribed medications removed... in my case tiotrpium.

I originally qualified (at age 83) and in above situation - but no letter - and unable to get groceries delivered except for a £30 parcel of selected items...take away from local restaurants/fish and chips etc:

Phoned Surgery- filled in questionnaires- no response except to collect my medication from a rear window at the Dispensary.

You may also like...