Shielding: In a Q&A session on Sky News... - British Lung Foun...

British Lung Foundation
44,613 members51,968 posts

Shielding

Hanne62
Hanne62

In a Q&A session on Sky News at 6pm, Dr Zoe Williams (a practising GP also from “Trust Me I’m A Doctor”) told a caller with Interstitial Lung Disease & on immunosuppressants that in her opinion she should be on the shielding list.

She then said that of the 1.5m people who should be shielded, 0.9m had been written to directly by NHS England, but that left 600,000 who would be contacted either by their hospital or GP. She advised anyone concerned to contact their GP who could “print off the letter” for them, but GPs might need a few days to get up to speed on this.

Hmm. I thought fellow members missed off the list might be interested!

93 Replies
oldestnewest

I can’t honestly see our GP doing anything Hanne. They don’t seem to know what’s going on and we won’t be ringing them again.

Interesting post though. Thank you. Xxxx

Comino2
Comino2
in reply to sassy59

Government at their most efficient :-( xx

Albertdog
Albertdog
in reply to Comino2

NHS you mean....?

Hanne62
Hanne62
in reply to sassy59

Well sassy, as you skischool Comino2 wooo & so many others are telling us, the system just isn’t working. My post was a bit tongue in cheek ie a well known GP telling us what should be happening. This could well be the case in her London practice, but certainly not in others.

skischool
skischool
in reply to Hanne62

My jury has always been out on the trust me i'm a doctor lot,very good at media presentation but often been shown to tow the establishment line or plough their own furrows though i have enjoyed some of the more in depth programmes with Michael mosley. :)

Hanne62
Hanne62
in reply to skischool

I agree there, much reading between the lines required. Also treats it audience as if we’re all idiots. I have had a few helpful tips from it though.

sassy59
sassy59
in reply to Hanne62

👍😘😘😘😘😘😘

I work for the NHS , I have server COPD emphysema.

My job is administration for a team of 30 community team.

I am desperate to work from home with a lap top but having a battle with my employer and GP to work from home.

My employer NHS want proof I have server COPD and have asked that I get a letter from my GP to confirm I have this server disease and need shielding, I have been out of my house apart from going to work for 12 days now to protect myself.

I have spoken to a GP today requesting my employer NHS need a letter from hom as I haven't as yet received anything through the post my GP replied "I cant do you a letter of I did that for everyone that asked I'd have a que out the door.

I am desperate to protect myself but my employer NHS or my GP really arnt interned.

MELNEL
MELNEL
in reply to wooo

This is terrible! It must be very uncomfortable for you and scary not to get infected. I got a call from my GP 3 weeks ago and got the letter actually two days ago. I really hope that you get this letter soon! Stay safe and well ok!! Best wishes!!! 🌹🌹🌹

it does seem desperate that nhs (your employer) need info from nhs (your healthcare people) and aren't following government guidelines that with severe copd you should be in one form of quarantine or another. i wish i could offer some useful advice, but the best i can say is you have my sympathy, and i hope the discrepancy is sorted soon for you. i think the testing, finally being "wheeled out" should begin to help, both generally and your particular case. (because, i am hoping, the nhs might get a moment of respite and begin to be able to see the wood for the trees.)

Hellodolly
Hellodolly
in reply to wooo

That is absolutely outrageous.

I also work for the nhs and sent the manager and occupational health the diagnosis letter from the hospital. Do you have one of those?

Also - are you a Unite member, as they are helpful on this.

The main thing is to make an appointment on the phone with occupational health, and explain the situation to them. These disorders put you on the shielded list. Also, do make sure that you fill in the govnt form that someone put up here last week ( was it skis?).

Feel free to PM me.

Good luck and best wishes! X

Can you give a link to this form please. Have been trying to get sense from my Surgery re collecting medication and why not received letter - told not to enter Surgery but can collect through open Dispensary window. No response re letter after being asked to fill in forms and questionnaires...😥

Thank you.

triciareilly
triciareilly
in reply to wooo

Do you not have electronic patient records at your GP so you can share with your employer or at least print out?

Unfortunately Hanne Gp's appear to be in some sort of denial at the moment,insisting that they have no input in decisions when they clearly do under the process,alas i am unable to e,mail or text my surgery,their system does not allow it otherwise i would send them the process that i posted on this site the other day.

Still letter free Ski's and only parcels of cat food from Amazon who appear to be slightly better organised than the govt at the moment. :)x

Comino2
Comino2
in reply to skischool

Amazon are one of the few companies laughing all the way to the bank because of this crisis.I wonder how they are protecting their warehouse staff if at all and I believe they are paid very poorly for very long shifts :-( xx

skischool
skischool
in reply to Comino2

Comino.like you i don't have much access to retailers at the moment and if i boycotted every organisation that gives their employees a bum deal i doubt i would ever shop again though i am aware of the bad and unsafe conditions that their employees are working in and when i have the opportunity i will return to more responsible and caring employers and kick them into touch. :)

xx

Comino2
Comino2
in reply to skischool

Good man,ethics are in short supply at the moment so maybe wise to save them for better days ahead. xx

judes
judes
in reply to skischool

I notice amazon are out of stock for a lot of their cat food was going to order some and some prices have gone up so much it’s obscene. When you have five little mouths to feed getting a bit of a worry. Tho I don’t suppose they will mind being fed chicken and tuna!

skischool
skischool
in reply to judes

Yes i paid silly prices but opted for a company who produce a food called Thrive and Scruffy has just wooshed down a silly little tin of Tuna and Salmon so i hope she doesn't get a taste for this gourmet food but i know she will. :) x

MELNEL
MELNEL
in reply to skischool

My pet's at home are still open, only gone fro 8pm to 6pm. I also still can get enough food a liter. But I to have the worst fuzzy cat's on earth believe, you would think that all cats like tuna...not mine, the just look at me , like what the hell do you feed us LOL 😂 no chance that my cat's eat any fish.

Lucky you!! 👍😄

skischool
skischool
in reply to MELNEL

Lucky maybe but fussy cats as you know are a nightmare and i must have wasted thousands on foods chucked away cos they were not flavour of the day,Scruff's habits will have to change to accommodate my shielding alone lifestyle. :) x

MELNEL
MELNEL
in reply to skischool

I waist tons of money for them LOL 😋 just because I love them.

Mum... I might be thinking to send them to work, you know do food delivery LOL 😂

I contacted my GP regarding the,now called 'shielding list' and they knew nothing about it :-( I explained the importance of them supplying the information to the government because of food parcels,support and priority shopping delivery slots etc.They were very understanding but said out of the 3,000 patients who attend the surgery I was the only one who had asked them about it.I wonder why they have now changed the name of the list ? xx

skischool
skischool
in reply to Comino2

What does sound promising is that 2,999 other patients haven't made the same query,which perhaps bodes better for getting them to resolve it? :)

xx

Comino2
Comino2
in reply to skischool

Have you been listening to 'Always look on the bright side of life' today on repeat ? :-)

It surely cannot be statisticly possible that I am the only patient with very dodgy bits ?

They have said they are unable to resolve it and kindly gave me the government helpline number which will only give you help if you have already received the letter..........................:-( xx

skischool
skischool
in reply to Comino2

Look back to my post a few days ago and hopefully they will amend these errors when they are supposed to do their weekly update commencing 06/04.

Scany compensation for the horrendous delay and as advised before the food parcel will be useless to me given that i can't eat 90 % of its contents,but the fact that we have been recognised would go a long way to believing i still exist. :)

xx

Comino2
Comino2
in reply to skischool

If I ever get it, you can have my tin of tuna as I am fish intolerent and would sadly have to use all the enclosed loo rolls within an hour :-) they say the box food is nutritionally balanced but I think the daily calorie intake looks pretty low,time to lose my 'steroid' tum me thinks,so not all bad xx

skischool
skischool
in reply to Comino2

i am used to living on a thousand or so calories a day,and even continuing to exercise albeit at a lower level for safety and to avoid further weight loss,fortunately my build up powders probably contain all the protein and minerals and vitamins required to maintain a healthy immune system but without a regular supply of milk for those milk based i would struggle but for my continual purchase of stuff on the internet which became increasingly difficult to source given the recent hoarding.

Sorry i have waffled and gone of track but sensible choice of foods will not only decrease your pred swollen tummy but even keep you alive long enough to enjoy that lung op. :)

Now where's that bottle of gin

xx

Comino2
Comino2
in reply to skischool

This may surprise you but I doubt I eat 1000 calories in a day.I piled on the weight when I gave up smoking but had halved the amount I was eating so it made no sense.I am blaming it on a delayed steroid effect.Had tests at the Docs he just said that I was unable to burn off the calories with exercise so was to be expected.

It is powdered milk you need or can you use fresh or UHT ?xx

skischool
skischool
in reply to Comino2

I can use any,of course whole milk provides the most additional calories,but the danger of relying on calories from fats and other dairy products is the increase in cholesterol levels,something dieticians tend to ignore given their desire to get you to a healthy weight so i have asked my Gp to do regular full bloods to check i am ok,but that was pre cronie stuff and i do worry a little about such stuff ,but hey ho i don't mind going out with a heart attack it will be a far a more swifter and easier exit than suffocating with collapsed lungs. :)

xx

Comino2
Comino2
in reply to skischool

I used to care for someone who had malabsorption problems and food had to be small volume and very high calorie and the dietician said as far as the cholestrol was concerned the benefits far outweighed the risks. xx

skischool
skischool
in reply to Comino2

Fine but short term thinking,when a patient has a long going continuing issue that train of thought should go out of the window and is completely outdated by scientific thinking,but as you say better than nothing. :(

xx

Comino2
Comino2
in reply to skischool

He was on that kind of diet for at least 17 yrs never made him chubby but kept him going and strangely he didn't have high cholestorol levels which was surprising.They say breathing uses a lot of muscles so they need to be fed muscle food whatever that is. xx

skischool
skischool
in reply to Comino2

Protein but excessive amounts of it cause other associated problems. :( there is no perfect solution except copious amounts of alcohol and nicotine and when the going gets really bad some very hard drugs and a wicked woman. :) chill now my friend with the name like an exotic island and get ready for looking like the shrimp or whatever her nickname was in her modeling days. :)

xx

a possible word of comfort in the desert skischool. when i looked at the form it asked if you had particular dietary needs. nowhere to explain what dietary needs, but presumably (?) you'd be contacted to explain what you can/can't/must eat.

i think they will only be geared up for the needs of those with intolerances and not those that have a swallowing problem but just to be within the system would be an assurance. :)

who knows? maybe you'll win the "postcode lottery" and be in the area they really get you what you need? i'm rooting for you (but not root vegetables, lol.

I have had one of these parcels and they the same for everyone so I don't know why they ask that question. As I don't have any particular dietary needs it was wonderful for me but all you can do is take from it what you can use and hope that you do get stuff that is suitable for you, good luck x

i don't see how they can be identical for everyone, as they would have to take from the shelves whatever's available. a bit of mix-n-match, surely?

Well it showed it on the TV so my sister said and they were putting the same stuff into each box. You do get a letter with it and in paragraph 3 it says

"Due to the scale and speed of this operation, everyone receiving this package is receiving the same thing and not all of the food may be suitable for everyone. Please check the contents of the package carefully if you have dietary requirements on medical or religious grounds. Do not eat anything that you are unsure about, for example, if it may contain allergens you are unable to consume".

thanks for explaining georgy.

i still hope they're managing to get something suitable to people with difficult food requirements.

Social services rang me to ask if i had any specific dietary requirements for the food box. I didnt need the box got husband and family to get food for me. Would assume they do their best to try and meet any special needs you might have.

many thanks dmf. that makes sense, doesn't it. good to know people will, by and large, get what they need.

Hi box arrived this morning from gov not social services (have posted pic of it) it had a sheet of contents that could affect allergies and the ingredients of said items

Ah the next paragraph says "If you are not able to eat some of the food supplied because of dietary or religious requirements and feel that the remaining contents of the package are not enough to provide food for 1 week, then please contact your local council".

my daughter said in her area the council are co-ordinating the whole thing. would have thought they have enough to do, but ...

anyway, it does seem as though whoever's doing what, they're beginning to work out ways of making the whole process suit people's needs. good luck everyone.

people have suggested you could donate to food banks anything that isn't suitable for you.

Yeah that's a great idea.

they're going to have to do a remake of "catch 22". will it be called "covid 19", or perhaps, "the vulnerable/extremely vulnerable/shielding/food parcel list"?

so long as it's a comedy and cheers us up, we should all be grateful.

O2Trees
O2Trees
in reply to Comino2

Omg! Your GPs knew nothing about it Comino?

Comino2
Comino2
in reply to O2Trees

No I was speechless [for a change] and I was put through to the practice manager who said it must be a government initiative and was unaware of any GP involvement. :-( xx

Janzo54
Janzo54
in reply to Comino2

I too rang my surgery. A doctor rang me back apologising but saying I wasn't on list but continue to be shielded or practise distancing!

He said at least your not bad enough to be severe and needing a letter!

He didnt seem to really get that my husband cant go out to buy shopping and that all online slots to supermarket are full for 2-3 wks so i needed some priority help.

He did say that the list might be updated but for now his hands are tied.

Considering Covid is a respitory virus i fail to see that mod copd isnt on the list-when i said it could put me in hospital he said yes but that could happen to anyone!

Thing is those with underlaying health wouldnt survive.

We are both not going out but just wondered if anyone else with mod copd on here has received a letter?

Keep well everyone. 💐Janzo

GeriAllen
GeriAllen
in reply to Janzo54

Exactly the same experience. I emailed BBC and asked would someone please please ask the Chief Medical officer why if Cornavirus attacks the lungs, they were not advising everyone with underlying lung conditions to shield? I think it's criminal.

This will be extremely helpful for many Hanne.

I rang GP office today and she arranged an appointment, which I didn’t want. I just wanted to know if I had been included following their meeting yesterday. The GPs didn’t do the original list, it was basically trawled through electronically. I don’t feel he really understood in any depth bronch but what’s new for us!

He didn’t say whether I had been put on the list but did say that he had received a letter from my consultant electronically addressed to me, which I hadn’t received yet as it was sent by post. When cf nurse came Friday she couldn’t understand why I haven’t got a letter and said she would write one. Well my amazing consultant is so very proactive wrote a letter, despite having such a heavy workload. My GP said this was as good as a letter from the Gov and I should now put yes on the Gov form and at the supermarkets.

It has been draining trying to sort this out but I realise I am lucky to have such a good team. It is so very hit and miss for many people and I feel for those who are working when they shouldn’t be and those still having difficulty getting shopping.

Wrote to my useless MP to explain and asked him to thank the office team for their acknowledgement. In other words noted when you want my vote you have done f all, which is what I expected.

Love cx

Hanne62
Hanne62
in reply to cofdrop-UK

Thank goodness for your cf nurse & consultant then, cof. So you’re more or less sorted in that you’ve got that acknowledgement. Mind you I’ve been on the list since 23 March & still haven’t got a slot for online shopping. Round here, it’s impossible, without family & friends & my local café doing home deliveries, I’d be stuffed

cofdrop-UK
cofdrop-UK
in reply to Hanne62

23rd omg and no online slots, that’s crazy. It makes me so angry. All the maintenance burden we have to keep the status quo and nobody gives a s***. Hope you get an online slot soon. We need to be able to keep the little bit of independence we have.

Love cx

joyce74
joyce74
in reply to cofdrop-UK

Our local Sainsburys e mailed to say I was on the list and a priority customer for home deliveries. Problems logging in means haven’t yet got a slot. Same applies for Morrison’s who have shut down my phone Ap and yesterday I spent 45 minutes on the phone to get on the web site. Still no slot there. Sure it must be stressful for the staff catering for so many people in isolation. Our family helping us out but will keep on trying

Thanks Hanne , there seems to be a lack of joined up thinking somewhere .

Or maybe lack of forward planning for emergency situations .

Hanne62
Hanne62
in reply to knitter

Hate to mention the B-word (Brexit!) here but we saw what a monumental cock-up that was, so much bumbling & incompetence. Doesn’t give us much cause for optimism!

cofdrop-UK
cofdrop-UK
in reply to Hanne62

No it doesn’t. With all this going on and covid19 being the main topic on conversation I could almost think bring back the dreaded Brexit debate!

Cx

Thanks Hanne - very helpful. Whatever digital mechanism is trawling through our records electronically is missing many with lung disease - my GP told me that. Ive filled in the government form though it's designed for those much frailer than I am and seemed to be more about whether I would need food bringing. Important for many obviously but Im well provided for by friends and street WA group. If I find they deliver a food parcel I'll get the foodbank people to collect it (or someone in my street to take it to them).

Hope you're doing ok xx

Hanne62
Hanne62
in reply to O2Trees

I think you’re wise to register. We don’t know what’s round the corner & it’s as well to be acknowledged as someone who just might need a bit of help at some point. I don’t consider myself frail either, but we’re both definitely very vulnerable if we get this virus. I’m ok, but will feel better when I get my hands on some essential meds which are proving elusive!

O2Trees
O2Trees
in reply to Hanne62

That really is worrying - I hope they come through asap. Take care :)

good luck with those meds hanne.

presumably (?) if you say you don't need food delivered they won't o2trees. they're only delivering to people who really can't get it by any other means.

There didnt seem to be the option of saying you dont need food deliveries. That's my point - the form is a pretty inflexible tick box affair but I decided to register anyway so Im recorded as high risk and vulnerable somewhere, as who knows, I might need proof at some point.

Oh how disorganised. I am shocked that the powers that be seem to have been taken by surprise by the pandemic as surely part of their role is to anticipate and prepare for scenarios such as this? Ok they couldn't have known when or if it would happen but didn't Ebola and SARS teach them anything? After all that's why we pay them the big money.

There should have been firm plans and organisation in place for such an eventually. That way they could have been proactive rather than reactive. x

O2Trees
O2Trees
in reply to hypercat54

Cant remember how long ago, Bev, but the NHS was tested/trialled for their ability to cope in a pandemic. They failed miserably then, and had they done something to correct what was wrong, there wouldnt be so many problems now. x

Hanne62
Hanne62
in reply to O2Trees

That’s right, I think it was about 3yrs ago. The chickens have certainly come home to roost

hypercat54
hypercat54
in reply to O2Trees

Well the govt. should have made sure it worked. That is their job after all. x

sadly i think that would have required some funding. and i know we're not supposed to be politicising our difficulties here, but the nhs has been grossly underfunded for a good long time now.

Yes I agree. Daren't say more than this! x

Very interesting. I might try it.

Thanks

Kate xx

hmmm, yes, very interesting indeed hanne. i had thought that by now, as i haven't received a letter, i won't. but have i really been missed off the list, or am i one of the 600,000 still waiting?

my gp practice was enormously overworked prior to the pandemic, and if they now have to go through each file in their practice and come to a decision ... well it must be an enormous task so i'm going to exercise patience for a while yet. especially as i know that many people really need to know sooner. and i guess we should remember the mantra of saving the nhs where possible, so that people who really need something sooner can get it. i hope nothing flares up while i'm waiting.

good luck everyone ~ they'll get through the list eventually.

I have IPF I contacted my GP when I didnt receive government letter. The receptionist told me I didn't qualify for Category A I pushed and pushed her till she went to speak to GP who said "she most definitely does" she told me she'd ring me back. To my amazement she did to inform me the Practice Manager said she had some letters shed been given for anyone who had been missed and that she'd send me one.

My GP said bluntly he couldn’t help! Should have added couldn’t care less, but that would have been the truth and he was clearly lying!

Thank you for your help and concern, i was promised a delivery slot by sainsburys but as i had a text for sheilding and not a letter they reneged.

Will try my doctor today, they now dont accept calls and i have to try by email. Am feeling anxious for the first time as no delivery avaiable, am looking after a 75 year old as well feom my depleted supply. Sorned the car today as no use to me currently,

Keep,safe Sops x

My asthma has not been well controlled recently. I hade been feeling quite breathless. Yesterday I had a second telephone GP appointment and I asked about shielding. She says that a second list is being sent out and I should hear by the end of the week. Keeping fingers crossed for all.

I don't work but I have a husband who goes out to the co-op every single day. Coughs without covering his face etc. He has a lung condition too. Says he forgets ,and I do believe him. Is not as thorough as he should be with hand washing. I hope that when I get my shielding letter that he will take the whole situation more seriously.

netochka
netochka
in reply to poohbear59

Is he working at the coop? If not, could he not keep visits to a minimum?

Thank you for the tip x

When speaking to the gp's receptionist last week , as mentioned in my previous post, they hadnt got a clue and no the letter definitely not coming from them. We booked a phone appt with the dr for yesterday and betters news.

The dr told my daughter that it appears any one on immunosuppressents have been missed off the list .

Amazing when that has always been on the governments list of people high at risk!!.

As per a post with a link I saw the other day on this forum, the nhs are publishing a list every mon eve starting next week and it is up to gp's to go through the list and add on patients that have been missed.

My daughters gp has said she is going to email the team that has now been set up with the surgery to get the letter generated.

So it would appear that this is a recent development and hopefully everyone due a letter will get 1 in the not to distant future(well before the12 weeks is up🤷‍♀️)

I haven't received a letter either. I did receive a phone call. Is there an advantage to having this letter? Or is it just to tell you, you are someone who should be shelielding? Which is what I was told on the call. Thankyou in advance for any guidance 😊

I too would like to know if there is any advantage in having 'the letter '! According to my gp surgery I 'might ' be sent one!

I spoke to my GP and mentioned it today. She said... "You should get one, but they haven't all been sent out yet. But you are definitely in the category, so don't go out." so I still don't know if there is any advantage to having the letter, other than to know it must say... Don't go out! If I get it, I'll let you know if it's worth the paper it's written on, after I've left it for 2 days before touching it that is! 😷

Hi - My letter came from my surgery which given their overall performance pleased and surprised me. The surgery closed way back when they had a suspected but later unconfirmed covid case! It is still effectively closed and the web site is not very informative. They are running something behind the closed doors and do respond to callers I have been told.

I think frankly that in common with the national shambles the GP service has not been properly trained or funded to deal with a serious emergency. The people are doing their best but they seem to be led by more donkeys.

I’m on the shielding list. Had a txt, and a letter 2 days ago.

Not sure what the benefits are of being on it though.

Hasn’t helped me to get registered on any supermarket online shopping.

Although, to be fair, my local council has delivered 2 (?) bags of basic groceries, but I don’t know how often that occurs.

I don’t need free stuff, I need to be able to pay for supermarket stuff that I want.

Any ideas ??

I

Hanne62

Hi

Thanks for the update, I was a lucky one I received an email , so am amazed that people got missed.

IKeith

I have lung cancer, and have received all letters from NHS, regarding shielding so no complaints, maybe it's down to the GP , to advise, must admit my GP is very supportive and I am always seen straight away if need be.

Thank you very useful information I did call my GP but wasn't very helpful. I have my GP records and noticed they didn't have all my medical records documented. So this may have been the reason why I hadn't heard. I'm just hoping on rheumatology department

You may also like...