Must read if you have COPD ht... - British Lung Foun...

British Lung Foundation
41,084 members47,159 posts

Must read if you have COPD hvmn.com/podcast/episode-72...

I came across this podcast and if you patiently take the time to read it it may change everything we know about COPD treatment

17 Replies
oldestnewest

Science is now beginning to assay why fasting may be quite beneficial to one’s health regardless of chronic disease

This is a wonderful article, I recommend reading it! Russell Winwood is a athlete, at 30% FEV1!!

He has stayed well, and doing marathons and iron man competitions. His diet!! There has to be something to it!!

Thanks RedSox....great article!!!

Have a great Monday, stay well everyone.

Meg

1 like

Thanks for the link RedSox, lots to think about & plenty to support looking at diet as a means of improving lung disease.

1 like

I read this, very interesting. I wonder if anyone has gone low-carb & it made a difference? I would like to try & make some changes to my diet..any ideas gratefully received 😀

1 like

Of course they have, it make sense to try and restrict carbs as they produce an abundance of co2. I have followed a low carb, high protein (now mainly fish) diet for the last three years.

4 likes

I have tried low carb to reduce bloating, it seems to have worked but I am not a slave to it. I think I need some for energy.

1 like

There is a fine balance between how many carbs is enough for energy and too much. Something else that will vary between people as we are all different. A case of monitoring energy levels as you reduce carbs intake slowly to find that balance. It is not easy, it has been said before "Being ill is not for whimps" especially when being self-managed, which is why self-support groups like this on are so essential.

1 like

Absolutely. Also the idea of fasting when you have a chronic disease seems dangerous

That may be true but seems and is are two distinct words. 2GREYS is correct though in that balance is key and each of us is different. If you have read many of my posts I am a huge proponent of diet and I been Its as important as exercise. Basically you cannot go to a gym and work hard and then just eat take away food. I personally fast one a month for 24 hours and find it works for me. Afterall we are what we eat. I choose a wholesome Mediterranean diet but we are all different

I know the distinction between is and seems. I am not a dietician but it seems to me that fasting is dangerous if you have a chronic disease. Given that you are what you eat what does that make you for 24 hours of the month. Nothing but hungry!

Hahahahaha good answer ! But honestly I eat clean so I rarely ever feel hungry. Also solid concrete Scientific evidence and not religious banter has now proven that situational fasting is quite good for all including those like myself who have chronic disease. But don’t take my word check out the research. Also I did state it’s not for all as we are all different. Again if you feel it may be dangerous don’t dabble in it. I find it wonderful not only to my physical well being but to my emotional well being as well . To each his own . Stay well !

1 like

I went on a low carb diet 15 months ago lost lots of weight and have had no problems with my breathing. So I have not had steroid tablets or antibiotics for over a year.

4 likes

Sounds like it’s worth trying, i don’t have to lose weight but would hope my breathing got a bit better, thankyou for sharing 😀

1 like

Interesting thanks RedSox. I heard of him a few months back and messaged him but got no reply. Very odd that he cannot remember the names of the herbs and tonics he was prescribed over 4 months that gave him new energy. Some valuable information there though about diet.

I have used low carb diets to reduce weight, but it's only recommended to do these short term, no more than 2 weeks, before going onto a low calorie diet. The brain needs glucose to function well and obtains it more easily from carbs than from fats. The body produces ketones when it breaks down fats, and if the body is not efficient in eliminating them ketones can build up and cause serious problems. There can also be an issue with high protein low carb diets as the breakdown of a lot of protein foods can put strain on the kidneys.

1 like

To raise his lung function like that is pretty impressive not to mention all that super activity without carbs. Very interesting thanks for sharing the link

Thanks RedSox, very interesting. I am a little skeptical about the herbs, but I do know that intensive exercise can make a huge difference and taking vit D3 has improved my energy no end.

2 likes

You may also like...