Anti-TB drugs can increase risk of TB... - British Lung Foun...

British Lung Foundation
40,589 members47,699 posts

Anti-TB drugs can increase risk of TB re-infection.

Current treatments for tuberculosis (TB) are very effective in controlling TB infection caused by Mycobacterium tuberculosis (Mtb). They don’t, however, always prevent reinfection. Why this happens is one of the long-standing questions in TB research.

So why are our bodies unable to generate permanent immunity to TB – the leading infectious disease killer worldwide? A team of scientists at the Research Institute of the McGill University Health Centre (RI-MUHC) and McGill University may have found the answer… in the gut. In a study published recently in Mucosal Immunology, they showed that anti-TB drugs caused changes to gut microbiota – the diverse community of microbes living our intestines - and increased susceptibility to Mtb infection.

mcgill.ca/newsroom/channels...

1 Reply
oldestnewest

The treatment for TB, ie 6 months of strong antibiotics also strips the intestines of all the good bacteria. This happened to me and I became very ill with colitis. I am now on a programme to increase the good bacteria in my intestines but I believe all patients being treated for TB should be put on this programme when the treatment is complete.

1 like

You may also like...