Common Acid Reflux Medications Linked... - British Lung Foun...

British Lung Foundation
40,560 members47,664 posts

Common Acid Reflux Medications Linked to Increased Kidney Disease Risk.

Proton pump inhibitors (PPIs), which include well-known brand names Prilosec, Nexium and Prevacid, are among the most commonly prescribed medications in the world. Approximately 10 percent of adults in the United States take these drugs for frequent heartburn, acid reflux and gastroesophageal reflux disease. Given their prevalence, researchers at Skaggs School of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences at University of California San Diego mined the FDA Adverse Effect Reporting System (FAERS) database for unexpected consequences of PPI consumption.

In the study, published February 19, 2019 by Scientific Reports, the team found that patients who took PPIs were more likely to experience kidney disease than people who took histamine-2 receptor antagonists, another form of antacid that treats the same conditions and includes the brands Pepcid and Zantac.

ucsdnews.ucsd.edu/pressrele...

6 Replies
oldestnewest

I am pleased I found an alternative that works for me. Slippery Elm Bark tablets and raising the head of my bed. Although Osteoporosis was my original concern.

2 likes

Yes thank you 2greys. I feared it could have contributed to my recent kidney problems. Interesting. I have managed to reduce the Omeprazole 40mg to 20mg but had to add the Gaviscon at times..I drink a lot of camomile tea these days..it helps.

Like a lot of us, I have more than enough "conditions" to contend with, I have no wish to add more.

3 likes

Exactly..now I know I am hypersensitive to all those meds. I feel I have had my fair share of adverse effects this year, I am being more vigilant. I just read the first appointment description of the rhumatologist next Tuesday and I am thinking beware 😃

Counting exercise

I also have gone from 40mg to 20mg omeprazole yipeee, I seem to go thru cycles of GERD and everytime I go to dr it doesnt play up, but I am doing well at the mo.

You may also like...