British Lung Foundation
39,624 members46,457 posts

Suggestions for a good watch

Just curious can any suggest a good series to watch . Please no American shows ( many insult my intelligence) lol I could say that . My wife and I watched Luther, Granchester, Doc Martin , inspector Lewis and we loved them What’s your opinions on

SLK

Still Game

Shetland

Bodyguard

73 Replies
oldestnewest

Well I loved Blakes 7 from the late 70's early 80's. The whole series is on YouTube for free. It's set in the future with a few federations prisoners on the way to a penal colony taking over a spaceship and forming a resistance group.

It was made on a typically low budget but relied on the great characterisation of the main players for it's interest. Lots of moral ambiguity and that sort of thing. x

3 likes

Thank you that is right up my alley since I grew up a fan of Star Trek and even loved those cheesy 1950s sci fi classics

1 like

This is definitely for you then. If you have ever watched Doctor Who in the 70's then you will have a good idea of the shaky sets :) At the time Blakes 7 regularly pulled in 8-10 million viewers but the BBC seemed to ignore it and when the series finished there were no spin offs etc.

Star Trek (original only) is my fave show of all time. I think coz I fell in love with Captain Kirk! x

2 likes

That’s funny I fell in love with Yeoman Janice Rand hahahahaha lol

2 likes

Ha ha. Did you know she was in her mid 30's when she played the part? Did you also know she only appeared in 6 episodes? When she left she became an alcoholic. Grace Whitney Jones - she is deceased now. x

1 like

I like Shetland as it’s quite gritty or Endeavour if you liked Morse. It’s good to see how policing was in the 60’s. Xxxx

3 likes

Oh yes loved both Morse and Endeavor as well as Sherlock and I failed to mention I’ve read the Ann Cleeves Shetland series as Jimmy Perez is one of our favs but we only got to season 3 here now we must buy it or wait until April. We will wait

2 likes

Endeavour is great. Also Poldark, The Crown, Ashes to Ashes, Downton Abbey, Brideshead Revisited. There are lots more!

2 likes

Love Poldark. The original and the latest one with gorgeous Aiden Turner.... what a dish. x

I really like Vera Stanhope 😋 is on sky all to catch up. I just started watching, now on episode 2. I like her character. Happy watching LOL 😂 keep warm and cosy!! Very wet here in my area and windy. Not nice, so out with some nibbles and watching TV 😘

6 likes

'All Creatures Great and Small' is an all time favourite. Lots of it too! I believe it's enjoying a revival with the younger set now.

2 likes

Great show, I watched every episode in the '80s!

I'm re-watching them now, I have the full set of DVD's. A bit sad really because most of the actors are dead now. 😥

1 like

Yes, they're gone now 🙁 they were all so good in their roles. Rewatching ACG&S sounds like a lovely way to spend the winter.

I loved The Tudors, Victoria, judge John Deed, Frost. I love a good series to watch.😊 Bernadette xx

3 likes

Vera is good, well it is if you don't mind a down to earth curmudgeonly older woman with the instincts of a terrier. The last series has only just finished and I'm missing it already.

5 likes

Yes, The Tudors was great, good actors, Henry viii and all his wives. Wolf Hall, the story about Thomas Cromwell was excellent.

Vera, northern detective series. New Shetland just begun. Endeavour, the younger Morse, new series just begun too. Safe House (a friend of mine wrote the first ones. He also wrote some of the Poirot and Midsomer Murders series). Call The Midwife, dramatised social history of East London midwifery. Broadchurch (is that the right name fellow Brits? I haven't seen the two series though people raved about them). Silent Witness? So many gooduns, we're lucky to have such great tv.

3 likes

Broadchurch is right name P - I loved it. Silent Witness, not so much. Cant stand Emilia Fox - why? No idea. My others are down below and you're right, we do have fab tv here. Wolf Hall was outstanding.

How you doing? Hope the winter has been kind to you xx :)

Just found out, from Desert Island Discs on radio 4, that Ann Cleeves wrote both Shetland and Vera. Who knew.

Re Amelia Fox, my old friend Michael who wrote some of the Silent Witness agrees with you. He did tell me why but better not write here!

I'm not bad this winter, especially since at last getting the prophylactic Azith. Last winter was awful, was beginning to wonder if it was a mistake moving here. This town suits the sunshine so lots of walking with Lolls. Nellie moved to Stretham Cambs so don't go 'home' anymore 😢. PM me to let me know how you are 😘😘

Apologies redsox for hijacking you post!

1 like

Oh how about Upstairs Downstairs? The original one. That was a great series and ran forever. x

3 likes

If you like Endeavour, Morse and Lewis, Midsomer Murders, Vera and Shetland, have a look at The Brokenwood Mysteries, from New Zealand. We've just discovered them - not sure how we missed them first time round, but back on our screens now and available on demand. Reminiscent of Midsomer, light-hearted and some funny moments - not forgetting the obligatory murder or two of course.

We also loved Star Trek, all series and Blakes 7 (I didn't know it was on youtube - thanks for that!), so I know you said no American shows but I have to put in a word for Firefly, which was one of a kind, though sadly in spite of its loyal following, only ran for one series.

Enough from me. Happy viewing! :)

3 likes

i am ashamed to admit i have the box set of breaking bad and luther,and every single episode of 24,none of them literary giants but all the more pleasurable for escapism.

6 likes

Loved Breaking Bad and 24.

1 like

I also have all of those box sets, and really enjoyed them (and not ashamed to say so) I enjoy a bit of escapism.

1 like

If you want some dark and heady stuff, go with the Canadian "Orphan Black". Loved it. "Bridesmaid's Tale" too.

2 likes

Oh- and "The Tunnel" and "The Bridge".

5 likes

Oh yes, I forgotten the Scandi Noir series. The Bridge, brilliant.

Redsox, you might have come across the Wallender series, the original Scandinavian and the British ones with Kenneth Brannagh as Wallender.

4 likes

Nobody mentioned "Silent Witness"

3 likes

I did, sometimes it's so close to the bone I gave to give it a miss!

Definitely Line of Duty

7 likes

Yep, Martin Compton's so good in this!

Sorry, meant *Compston*

Varseille, vikings, the last kingdom.

All worth a watch.

At the minute I'm watching the expanse which is really good. It's scifi set in space but it's American 😂

Happy valley.

6 likes

We love Happy Valley. Will there be another season of it? I think we have only seen season 1 & 2. We live in the states, so we get British TV series late.

my family in canada also loved happy valley. It was very popular and i hope there will be a third series but have not heard so yet

Endeavor , love it

4 likes

What about Endeavour. My favourite is call the midwife. Silent witness. And some people can take or leave Vera love her abruptness and sharpness. But she does have a kind heart. Midsomer murders I can take or leave. Give me the English police dramas. Anything better than the American series were they always seem to be in bed lol.

2 likes

Please excuse my reply, but l watch my television for entertainment.As

for insulting ones intelligence ,there is not one show /program or what ever,

which is British that does not do that.Perhaps one would do better to read non

fiction books.

Try and remember the telly as it is called,is for entertainment and not

soaps and reality programs.If this is your BAG you only need to look out of

your window to see all of this.

Regards

1 like

Oh Hun, All these comments about TV Programmes is very Light Hearted Entertainment, Not a lot of people can go outside. I agree with all the lovely Programmes we can watch in these days. we have such a Huge Choice, Mine also Being Documentaries "The Blue Planet" etc. Chester Zoo, Monkey World, and our Beloved Noel "The Supervet" . Happy TV Watching. xxxx

3 likes

As do l watch Supervet & Dog Rescuers.But my son in law like myself watches

a lot of CSI,NCIS Bones and so on.These have been very helpful to him in getting

his Degree and soon to be Masters in Forensic Science.

3 likes

That is Great, Your son in Law has my Admiration for going into Forensics and I hope he Gets his Masters with Flying Colours. I also Like to watch any Programme with Dogs, I absolutely Love Paul O'Grady, "For The Love of Dogs" . So Much to watch. we are all so Spoilt. Love Carolina XXXX

The Bodyguard definitely! It won several awards recently. My favourites also included, Line of Duty, The Missing, Happy Valley,Dr Foster and more recently Cleaning up with Sheridan Smith. I'm not keen on the American stuff either!! Sheila x

3 likes

I have just discovered 'Silent Witness', BBC iplayer has seasons 17 - 22 on catch-up.

I've watched s17-s20 and it's pulled me in completely, so much so that I've now aquired seasons 1-16 and have started watching them before I watch the two latest seasons. A bit grusome in places and some of the subject matter is quite shocking, but one of the best the bbc have produced.

If you have 'Netflix' and like a bit of comedy crime, 'Death in Paradise' is a nice relaxing watch. They also have the first 2 seasons of the new 'Star Trek, Discovery', which in my opinion is out there with some of the best story-lines from the far reaches of the universe :-)

I must admit, I'm a fan of Netflix, some of their original films and tv series are just superb and cover many genres and tastes, starting at £5.99 p/m (first month free, no contract) Mmmm, maybe I'm a super fan :-) highly recommended.

Happy viewing

Simon

4 likes

Peaky Blinders and Taboo are very good

4 likes

At 9pm every Saturday on BBC4 showing great programs showing now TRAPPED set in Iceland

We watch all those shows as well love them. Have you seen bohemian rhapsody great movie

2 likes

Hi any of the ITV BBC dramas are good ,also Balfour channel with some brilliant subtitles shows as professor t,before we die ,rebecca martinsson

All four not Balfour text issues lol

DCI Banks and a mini series, Accused are good shows.

I love DC Banks, great show!

1 like

Death in Paradise, Versailles. Both good to watch

You stated no American. But, True Detective, Stranger Things, Narcos, Better call Saul. All terrific series. Line of Duty which is British, is excellent.

3 likes

Yes I do agree with True detective . They are well done

1 like

Yes, those are all good. The reason I'm addicted to shows not American is 1. charaters are normal to unusual looking people and not the plastic Hollywood models. 2. No endless car chases or shootouts ( they usually carry no guns).

3. Better content

Try: Luther, Broadchurch, Father Brown, Midsomer Mystery, Dr. Blake, Happy Valkey, Marcella, Offspring, River, A Place to Call Home, Shetland, Wallander, Hinterland, Wanted, Ozark (yes, its American but good). Though I've watched these over a 5 year period I believe they are still on.

Love Offspring, so endearingly awkward. And Luther is fabulous, especially when Alice is around!

Very true,a good program.Such a pity it is Paul O'Grady !!!

I Love Him , He does so Much for all Animal Charities. I also Loved him as Lily Savage in The Good old days of TV Comedy. xx

1 like

The Detectorists, very British, thoroughly entertaining.

1 like

Thank you

Bodyguard was very good . PS I love the walking dead and fear the walking dead.

Still game can be very funny if you can understand it being a Scottish programme I found it hilarious and still do I'm Scottish but moved down south in 1987 😊

I love Still Game it’s one of my favs not a big fan of zombie shows I never watch them but I do love Victor and Jack

1 like

Don't forget Iza and Mavid lol xx

1 like

Don't think anyone mentioned Prime Suspect, many to watch.

1 like

Wow what an amazing choice you have been give, on that note I can’t add anything of value. Just one hypothetical ? Please.

With all the cooking you do when do you get time to sit and watch tv?😁

Baptiste has just started but looks as if it may prove good

1 like

Dexter .. Peaky Blinders .. The Crown .. I loved them all .. Walking dead zombies show .. Shetland (Douglas Henshall 🥰) .. don’t tell the husband .. 😬..

There are lots of new dramas due from March, new series of Line of Duty although you may want to binge watch the first few seasons. There is a new Unforgotten due out soon, as with Killing Eve and Keeping Faith. All of the first outings of these were fab - thank god im retired I would have missed all these. Good luck !

Julie x

Hi, we both like Shetland which is very watchable although some of the accents are a little difficult BUT much better than some from over the pond! We also like the Michael Portillo series of train journeys both in this country and at present Canada. We also like Endeavour and the nature programmes. Also Country watch, the Yorkshire vet, and All Creatures great and small. ENJOY.

1 like

Broadchurch, Vera, Happy Valley, Last Tango in Halifax, Bodyguard, Shetland, Borgen (Norwegian I think).

2 likes

Outlander Amazon prime great show

Red Dwarf is a sitcom which I used to obsess about, I totally loved it and still do. It also has one of the best theme tunes ever.

QI is a quiz show thing but it's also very funny. You learn stuff while laughing out loud. The first six (I think) seasons are available on DVD now. I've only seen the first few seasons but I think Stephen Fry no longer presents the show which is too bad because he knows so much about everything (or appears to anyway)

Infinity welcomes careful drivers 🚀

1 like

You may also like...