So I saw my new Respiratory Physiotherapist a few days ago and found out a great deal I didn’t know. My chemical sensitivity is far worse than I realised and combined with heat it is awful. There was something in her room that set me off and it was also very warm in there. My breathing got steadily worse through the discussion. She said she’d try to use another room next visit or ensure as few chemicals as possible were used in there for next time.
She told me I had a breathing disorder. She put a monitor on my finger for half an hour and observed me for that time whilst asking questions. I could see my oxygen levels pinging around like one of those very bouncy little balls that zips across a room when let go. At times the alarm even went off on it. She has decided she wants her whole team to work with me over time and to have me change to a local respiratory consultant as I have to travel just under an hour to reach my current consultant, further if she is at another hospital.
She has stated that the carbocisteine isn’t working. I’ve been on it pretty much since diagnosed and was surprised. Before I was on it I produced quite a lot of phlegm daily but now I can’t get any up except rarely, even when I have an infection. She seemed to think using a nebuliser with saline solution (I think) would work better.
I am hoping her letter arrives about this meeting before my next appointment with my current consultant so I can take a copy for her to see. If I can get her on board too my breathing issues should start to improve given time.
Has anyone else had a similar experience regarding carbocisteine? I hadn’t heard about this before so any experience you may have had would be useful if you’re willing to share.