British Lung Foundation
38,376 members45,293 posts

Researchers find short bouts of stairclimbing throughout the day can boost health.

It just got harder to avoid exercise. A few minutes of stair climbing, at short intervals throughout the day, can improve cardiovascular health, according to new research from kinesiologists at McMaster University and UBC Okanagan. The findings, published in the journal Applied Physiology, Nutrition and Metabolism, suggest that virtually anyone can improve their fitness, anywhere, any time.

"The findings make it even easier for people to incorporate 'exercise snacks' into their day," says Martin Gibala, a professor of kinesiology at McMaster and senior author on the study. "Those who work in office towers or live in apartment buildings can vigorously climb a few flights of stairs in the morning, at lunch, and in the evening and know they are getting an effective workout."

medicalxpress.com/news/2019...

16 Replies
oldestnewest

I always use the "express elevator" aka the stairs. It amazes me how many able-bodied people hang around waiting for the lifts at my hospital, the stairs are so much quicker to use, even for me and away from all the coughing and spluttering in a confined space. Mind I am used to stairs living in a maisonette three/four floors up.

3 likes

Even a three bedroomed semi works well once your memory starts to go and you use the spare room as an office. 🙄

2 likes

I’m claustraphobic so won’t use a lift if I can help it at all. When I went to have my first two lots of IVs I was too unwell and had to go in the lift. There were a few folks in and I made my way straight to the back where the rail is. There was a dickhead of a woman at the side of me who asked if I didn’t like lifts. She then proceeded to tell everyone she worked in a nursing home and when the lifts get stuck and they have a resident they come straight away. I asked her to stop telling us this and a nurse at one side looked really angry at her stupidity. We were raaising our eyes to each other. Anyway the woman just carried on ‘when we get stuck they take about 4 hours’ and the nurse said ‘well our lifts are magic and they never break down.’

Some folks!!!!!!

Cx

6 likes

I think I will give this a go at home, start off slowly and build up gradually. Thank you for this. 😊 Bernadette xxx

4 likes

Very encouraging! We recently moved from a bungalow to a house with three floors....our physio daughter told us we’d have our own built in gym, and we do feel fitter physically I think 💪 Thanks, 2greys!

3 likes

Great thank you 2greys

Im climbing stairs all the time since I have been in London😃..up and down..the worse is their loos are always up or down..well pursed lips, Ventolin and knees killing me is the price to pay 😉

3 likes

Oh dear, Fran, but I had to smile 😅 You tell it well....xx

1 like

Thanks for the tip 2greys.

Before my present exacerbation , I set my kitchen timer to ring every twenty minutes, and made myself walk about from room to room.

Now I will try the stairs, with care though.

6 likes

Anything to do to avoid the dreaded stairs for me,unless I'm not under any pressure to do it quickly,otherwise I seem to get myself in a terrible panic. How ridiculous is that?

1 like

No you are not ridiculous! If stairs are really difficult for you then it's natural to avoid them. Before lung disease I happily used stairs. However, even using my puffer a few minutes before, controlling my breathing carefully. and resting on the way up I find the stairs in my house a nightmare. I live in a normal 1970's mid terrace ex council house not a mansion or high rise flat so there's not that many stairs. When I do get to the top I have to sit down and take anything from 2 - 5 minutes to recover enough to think let alone do whatever I went up there for!

I do other forms of exercise but stairs are my Nemesis.

5 likes

Oh thank you for your reply but I can cross both our names off the list "to run up a flight of stairs" !! 😁😤😕. I honestly avoid them wherever possible by researching anywhere new I'm going to(which isn't many,lol). Do they say that there are stairs leading up to the great Pearly Gates in heaven? If so,that's just typical!!!

2 likes

I think I'll be taking the slippery slide down t'other way when the time comes xx

3 likes

Handy to know! I have a spiral stairs in my flat which i must climb 20 times a day!

Thank you for sharing that 2greys. I am going to try that.

Thanks for this I will definitely give it a go. Mind you went on my hols recently and was on 15th floor!... many many rests on the way up!

You may also like...