British Lung Foundation
39,160 members45,993 posts

Not a cause for concern said my GP.

Sharon came home from work last night with some startling news. One of the other carers at the nursing home is off sick, with TB, which of course can be highly contagious. I did have a BCG vaccination at 12 years old prior to traveling the world, so not overly worried. Another has gone sick with Meningitis. The winter season has started to take hold.

I have taken the day off from work because I needed a medicine review with my GP and have a HiRes CT Scan with contrast this afternoon. My GP told me not worry about the TB case, if it was infectious then it would be reported to Public Health, who would then become involved and all contacts with it would be traced as an urgent matter. So that overnight worry is now put to rest.

22 Replies
oldestnewest

Crikey! Is there anyone left in the UK without an illness at the moment? Two people at my work are off sick with pneumonia and another two with bronchitis. I'm rather apprehensive about the next couple of weeks to say the least! Anyway, I do hope your GP has put your mind at rest- TB is not always terribly infectious. My gran, who looked after me a lot as a child, had it on and off her whole life pretty much but there was little concern over transmission as we'd all been vaccinated. (She eventually died of a stroke at 90 having lived for 65 years with only one lung- hope for us all).

I'm rambling anyway...I really just wanted to say good luck for this afternoon! Good luck!! x

8 likes

Hi I had TB in the 1940s someone told me it could come back in later life don’t know how true that is

Yes, it can return, but does not mean it will though.

Pete and I were vaccinated against TB at age 12 yet strangely sarcoidosis runs parallel with TB.

What about the meningitis? Hope you and Sharon stay well. Xxxx

1 like

I think the same rules apply, if infectious, Public Health are notified.

2 likes

That's quite alarming all the same but glad it's not a cause for concern.

A customer was in the shop I work at yesterday with some kind of flu virus. She said she's so ill she'd rather be dead. After I expressed my sympathies I thought, you couldn't have stayed home with your germs? At the risk of sounding selfish, I was a bit concerned about it. I wash my hands a lot, so much I get sore hands, but even so... There seem to be a lot of bugs about.

3 likes

That's all very well but maybe she lived on her own? I have to get myself out and about when ill and probably contagious. What do you expect us to do? Starve? Do without meds? etc. When I had suspected swine flu the chemist told me off for going there myself. I told him that contrary to the advice I actually had no one to go in for me.

Not everyone has a partner, kids, or anyone close enough to do their necessary errands for them!

7 likes

I think people just get a bit scared Bev but you raise a good point about being alone and needing meds. Our pharmacy will deliver if needs be so we are lucky I suppose.

Hope you’re keeping as well as you can. Take care xxxx

1 like

Yes I agree sassy but I hate being judged when I have to go out when ill. I guess it's only those who have partners/children/ who object to others who have no choice.

It's like all those I have seen here having a go at staff in shops etc. who are working with illness. In this economic climate workers are forced to work then ill coz if they don't they would be dismissed. My last job with the civil service only allowed up to 7 days a year off sick otherwise you would get written warnings. I often had to go in with chest infections and other illnesses. No one does it from choice after all or from selfishness. x

3 likes

I hope that if someone in that situation, or who I don't know, was poorly, I'd be more sympathetic and less self obsessed. However, she's not a single person and her husband had been in just hours previously, she came in for 3 items. I would hope I'm not that horrible and selfish a person and hope I didn't give that Impression of myself.

5 likes

Fair enough Huff but I have heard that point of view on here quite a bit and it does annoy me. Hope you are ok. x

I know how you feel HungryHufflepuff , I’ve recently had a bad dose of pneumonia but today decided to venture out for a coffee & the waitress looked poorly & I could tell she had a heavy cold. But I know this lady needs that job & anyway we can’t avoid bugs, it’s not practical, so I used First Defence both before & after I went out, and as you say I wash my hands a lot. Also I think I’m right in saying that with many viruses the most infectious time is just before symptoms appear

3 likes

I think you are right there Hanne. It is unfortunate but if you want to avoid bugs entirely people will either have to stay in or wear a mask. Otherwise all we can do is what you do. I was with someone with a chest infection so once I knew I washed my hands thoroughly, blew my nose, and spit a little. I read that if you have just got germs and you do this it will dislodge them before they have time to take hold.

Haven't seen you for ages Hanne and was beginning to think you had left us! How are you? xx

Nobody’s judging you Bev, and I agree, it’s not by choice people work with illness. My sister has worked for Tesco for years and said they take a dim view of people being off sick. I think it’s wrong if someone is poorly and infectious but there are those who take time off because they feel like it so they make it worse for others.

Don’t know what the solution is really but I just hope everyone can stay as well as possible during the winter and year round.

Yes I’m lucky to have Pete and family close by and l am very thankful. You take care and see if meds can be delivered when you’re unwell.

Love, Carole xxxxx

5 likes

That’s interesting 2greys. Recently there were a few cases of tb at my local hospital, where I’d been, so I was a bit worried for a time. But it was reported to public health and I didn’t hear any more.

The thought of getting TB with severe Emphysema was rather mind numbing at the time. Although I definitely knew that I had been vaccinated, I was unsure how effective it remained when older.

I bet it was! I haven’t been vaccinated, for reasons I can’t remember it was decided I shouldn’t have it as a teenager. Noone’s ever mentioned it since.

I didn’t have the BCG aged 12 because my heaf text came up (a ring of little pink spots) positive so I must have had a touch of TB when younger.

My father-in-law had TB due to unpasteurised milk - he worked in a creamery. It was before antibiotics but he survived with half a lung for 30 years.

Scary..must wear a mask and change it as soon as it gets damp, and protective gowns

Frightening isn’t it. I contracted viral meningitis in September out of the blue ( worked the incubation period back to a flight I took) makes you wonder just how susceptible us lungies are to everything!

Yes it is, which is why I now self prescribe vit D3 at the highest safe level of 4,000 IUs daily to make sure my immune system is at it's best.

1 like

Have upped my D3 and C after that too. Keep well