British Lung Foundation
39,915 members46,819 posts

Suicide risk increases significantly following a cancer diagnosis.

New research indicates that the risk of suicide increases significantly in the first year following a diagnosis of cancer, and this increase varies by the type of cancer diagnosed. Published early online in CANCER, a peer-reviewed journal of the American Cancer Society, the findings point to the importance of screening for suicide risk in newly diagnosed patients and ensuring that patients have access to social and emotional support.........................When studied according to cancer site, the highest increase in risk was seen following pancreatic cancer and lung cancer. The risk of suicide also increased significantly following a diagnosis of colorectal cancer, but the risk of suicidal death did not increase significantly following breast and prostate cancer diagnoses.

eurekalert.org/pub_releases...

13 Replies
oldestnewest

To those who have been recently diagnosed, please remember that you are not alone here, on this site. There are quite a few lung cancer patient/carer members here, inc myself. Many are survivors too, having been given the all clear. Lung cancer is not a taboo subject at all and I encourage you to talk about it. If you are just a "fly on the wall", observing, then you can become a member and join in. As scary as it can be when first diagnosed, Lung Cancer is not an automatic death sentence, there are quite a few treatment options and it can be successfully cured.

11 likes

I guess much depends too on the severity of the condition. If it has been caught early it would have less impact on mood than if it has been diagnosed at a later stage. x

2 likes

A lot of the problem is probably just that, with very low detection rates, with 55% of those diagnosed too late to be treated successfully and (of course) that is just what the media latch on to, to make a sensationalist story. Detection rates are getting better and new treatments, like immunology are coming online all the time.

None the less, receiving a diagnosis of lung cancer is a mind shattering experience, so much greater than being diagnosed with COPD, which is in itself bad enough. Then there is the five years after treatment, that is also torturous, hoping to get the all clear. You cannot imagine what it is like whilst lying inside the CT Scanner, every 3 months, then wait for the results from the Oncologist, to say it is stressful is putting it really mild.

If you are on you are own, without any moral support, then that stress is multiplied exponentially. I know this to be true because most of the time Sharon is working and I go for the appointments alone, but I'm a tough old turkey and do not need sympathy, just telling it as it is from a patient's view. I can understand, that without any inner strength, it is all too easy to call it a day and give up.

6 likes

Well I, for one, am very glad you remain very much with us in the land of the living. x

1 like

No I don't have any idea and i hope I never do, I did hear that certain cancers with lung disease being one of them are detected later in the UK than most other western countries though I don't know if that is true or not.

There are a couple of others things - being alone has little to do with having to go on your own to appointments as your wife is working, but no support at all if you live on your own. The other thing I will say is that having depression is nothing to do with inner strength. This gives the impression that it is only weak minded people who suffer with it which is definitely not the case.

Having said that I too am very glad you are still with us. x

2 likes

No I did not say, or mean depression, I meant the shear fear and stress of it all. There are many other drivers to suicide other than depression.

1 like

Very true. x

I am from Australia but joined as I gave up smoking 4 months ago August 22nd 2018 love reading all the messages so proud of you guys that gave up I will not smoke again I love going grocery shopping more so now than I did when I was smoking 50 years for me

Bless you mate ❤💛

Thanks for the info. I bet the risk is lower for the breast & prostate cancers bcuz they are easier to get rid of

I think that you are possibly right, which then has to increase those odds in the harder to treat cancers.

Thank you 2g you are a postive encouragement to people with this disease. My friends husband when diagnosed with this disease was told matter of factly that he had terminal canacer and probably had 6 months to live, the doctor then got up and went out of the room. Both she and her husband were in shock and spent an hour in the car crying. So perhaps the doctors should be more sensitive when delivering this news. xx

I don't think that there is an easy way. I was first told in a very "matter of fact" manner and there would be a meeting of professionals that morning to decide how they were going to proceed and would phone me that afternoon. Which they did, saying I was going to have a Pet Scan arranged asap with another consultation.

I do have to say, I had been expecting that news for the previous 18 months, so it was not quite the blow that it could have been.

You may also like...