British Lung Foundation
38,510 members45,414 posts

Happy New Year and some long winded advice

Happy New Year to all. I went to funeral past weekend for dear friend and met an old friend who was huffing and puffing. I asked her did she have a lung condition. She answered " no, I'm just getting old and I am overweight" .I replied well take care of yourself and I wondered is she better off than me ? by not knowing she was quite content and happy except for her age and weight and the only difference between her and I is I know I have COPD/Emphysema and I am being treated with inhalers. Unlike her I'm a little depressed because I do know and she is not and the only difference is I'm on an inhaler that quite frankly may or may not be helping me. She is living her life (God Bless her) with no issues while all of us with this disease are constantly reminded of it. I wonder if it truly is better to have been diagnosed .Sometimes I wish I hadn't known .Is there really an advantage to knowing ? sometimes I wonder. After all' are these so called treatments (inhalers ) effectively working? or is better to have "peace "of mind and just get older and fatter and not be burdened by a disease with no cure. Again Happy New Year and better health to all .

41 Replies
oldestnewest

No i a glad i know my diagnosis. i was very unwell befor my diagnosis. I have changed my life in many ways and am now alot healthier. If it wasent for the dr intervention on more than one ocasion i would be dead. You cant fight what you dont know about

Happy new year.

4 likes

Thanx for your reply Corriena and a Happy healthy New Year to you as well

Happy new year

Happy New Year

Hi there, I’m so happy I found out or I would shill be chuffing along not knowing why I was so out of breath

How do you know she is "content and happy"? You only see what she shows you.

There are those who think ignorance is bliss, if I don't acknowledge it, it doesn't exist. At least until it gets so bad that you can no longer ignore it, and by then the damage is done.

I am married to one of those people. He has bronchiectasis, but refuses to do anything about it. He won't use his nebulizer or his inhalers, and when he starts getting signs of an infection in his lungs, he ignores it.

Ignorance is not always bliss. If my lung cancer hadn't been diagnosed when it was (both times), I'd probably be dead by now.

4 likes

Excellent point KatherineK I don’t and my post was just playing a little Devil’s advocate . Happy healthy New Year to you

Sorry if I misunderstood. You sounded like you were a bit down and maybe wishing you didn't know.

No no just some year end pondering lol I’m okay how you are as well

Still fighting a cold/sinus thing, and I have very little energy. But I woke up this morning...so life is good!

Get well KatherineK!

1 like

Hi I understand what you are saying but at least if you know you can take steps to lead a healthier lifestyle so hopefully you will live longer than someone who doesn't know. She doesn't sound very happy being overweight does she?

I know so many people who have copd and who ignore whilst carrying on smoking and getting worse and worse. One by one they all disappear and die much too young. These people don't even know or care what their lung function is and won't take responsibility for their own health. x

4 likes

True ,true and a very Happy healthy New Year to you hypercat54

1 like

Thank you and same to you RedSox x

It’s a good thing that Pete knows. He’s receiving good treatment for COPD etc. yet it’s the sepsis that was nearly the end of him. One just never knows.

Happy new year RedSox. Take care x xxxxxx

3 likes

She may have been huffing and puffing because her heart is failing and not due to copd. In that case the right meds and losing weight could give her a much better quality of life. Without a diagnosis it could be very serious.

1 like

My husband died at the age of 61, Heart attack, he had a phobia about doctors and had not seen one since he was 14 and at school!! We both knew he had problems, poor diet (would not eat anything I did that could be called "healthy"), smoked, did little exercise. Outwardly he presented as someone who did not have a problem, but he was not stupid, it was almost as though his fear of doctors was such, that he would rather die, than go for help. He would shrug his shoulders and say that all they would do was tell him to stop smoking, so what was the point.

I have wondered since, if this behaviour is like the self-harming younger people can do, if it was his way of controll/self hatred and the wish to go, without makng the overt decision to actively take his own life. Human beings are so complex, it is so difficult to understand what they think/do.

8 likes

Very good insight, makes alot of since. We are human beings, and we are all so very different.

Meg

1 like

I know just what you are speaking about RedSox!! I think the reason we are on the British Lung Foundation Site, is they are more accepting and they understand, maybe because the Bristish have been dealing with lung diseases alot longer, before we were even the US!! Dickens era...and also the British Royals have had lung diseases and were open about it, as well as British actresses and actors. Here in the US famous people dare not mention it...until after they have passed away, no one knows, and that makes the general population feel it's a shameful, dirty disease. Yes, here (US) COPD/emphysema all lung diseases really stigmatized. You'd have to be here a fly on the wall here to understand it, I believe. So, if someone is huffing and puffing they are not going to be stigmatized, they are going to remain blissfully naive to the fact. Not correct, but they are the happy people. I am a firm believer, that if a few countries shared medical knowledge advancements in these diseases could come fast. After all we are speaking 15th century diseases here!! I like to shock my doctor..my last check up....I said to him..."ok, they can make a male a female and visa versa....and they can't even come close to curing this old disease" (and, I don't care if you wish to do that) he told me I was right. New Years Rant over!!

Meg

2 likes

Wow excellent reply and very worthwhile I hope many see this especially those here in the USA who are so in denial. You raise many good points and I for one truly believe these hideous lung diseases will be eradicated in our own lifetimes as limited as we are or at least future generations will be free of this and many other “old” standing diseases . I love your New Years rant it is so refreshing. Take care !

1 like

May 2019...be a magical, blessed year for you...

Meg 🎊🎉💕

1 like

and you as well !!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 like

I used to ask myself the same question but through my work and watching some friends go through difficult situations, I have come to the conclusion that ignorance isn't always bliss and that a lot of people who'd rather not know the truth, aren't just thinking positively. They may not be very self-aware. Being in denial and avoiding the truth may be easier in the short term but doesn't necessarily help us to learn and grow as human beings, does it?!

For sure UHelga ignorance is NOT bliss it is only ignorance and knowledge is fruitful Happy New Year

And Happy New Year to you too @redsox. Thanks for raising this interesting topic!

1 like

It’s going on 11 years since I was diagnosed. I truly wish I’d never known the first seven years. But the last few years I wouldn’t be able to do anything without all my inhalers and meds. I have been a non smoker for over 30 years and I’m fit and exercise so the first seven years my breathing wasn’t an issue. My diagnosis was a fluke as I was being treated for arthritis and the med they prescribed caused me to be sob. As soon I was off that med breathing got better. I’m doing all I could have so I’d rather have not known the first 7 yrs

Happy New Year and good luck to you Apeter7874

If I took your inhalers away would you miss them? I know I would ..

I was struggling with my breathing for quiet a while before being diagnosed.. I new something was wrong .. I’m glad I found out .. can look into my disease in more depth now .. work out what is best for me ..

happy new year xx

Happy New Year!

1 like

I was just having this conversation with my Dad... How right now I wish I'd never found out about it. I'd already quit smoking and I'm already treated with steroids and bronchodilators for asthma. So nothing much to change... just wait to see if/when it gets worse.

But, as you know, I'm only newly diagnosed and there is some uncertainty over the diagnosis and severity. I can't imagine being able to come to terms with living with this the rest of my life knowing it only gets worse (but I hope I do). I'm frustrated because it's ruining my ability to enjoy anything right now, but at the same time I realise it's actually me ruining my own life and ability to enjoy things but I don't know how to change that.

Sorry. That's really down and depressing but I'm answering your question honestly! I really hope my feelings about this change and that my mindset improves. What I do know is that everyone here is a huge help and if I have any chance of coming through this then I'm in the right place with you lot!

1 like

Yes Artichokes the folks here are very supportive and all we can do is hope and pray the progression grinds to a slow slow crawl and it may we are all different. Stay positive and have a healthy happy New Year

1 like

Thank you RedSox. Happy New Year to You too! x

Wow that's some new year's pondering RedSox. I've had respiratory problems all my life and inhalers for as long as I can remember. So as far as that goes, it's just a part of me, it's normal. But as far as other things go, I definitely bury my head in the sand. I don't cope well with stuff and sometimes I kid myself that if I don't know about it, it won't be real. Sometimes ignorance is bliss and sometimes ignorance is ignorance. I know hiding from reality doesn't make it go away but sometimes it's easier to deal with.

Wishing you a happy new year 🎆

3 likes

Wishing you HungryHufflepuff a healthy Happy New Year !

1 like

Best wishes,health and happiness to you and yours for the coming New year.

Ski's and scruff's

And to you and Scruff as well a very Happy healthy New Year and beyond

1 like

I'm glad I found out. I changed my lifestyle and haven't been as fit as this for years. Keep taking the meds!

1 like

A very interesting take. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

Wishing you a healthy New Year.

Happy new year redsox I agree with what u r saying I know I have mild copd but I am not going back to have 2nd spirometry and diagnosed I don’t need any inhaler I take supplements to boost my immune and nac for my lungs exercise keep away from all smoke i holiday 3 or 4 times a year don’t want copd on my insurance.The only problem I have is traffic fumes any one any advise how I can deal with it I live in walking distance to Chester city but the fumes smell so strong and make me cough. I know for some reason people like to know how old you r I am 72 this new year xxxxxx

2 likes

A pondering thought - is ignorance bliss ? - there are days when yes, I think so.

But there are also days when I think I know what's happening and why, which kind of helps, although when you ' flare ' or worse and the plans disappear while the body recovers. I wonder still. It cycles round.

Long winded way of saying - I understand what you mean.

Happy Healthier New Year to you

1 like

Yes I understand what your saying because in one way I wish I wasn’t labelled because the thoughts of it take over your brain!!! But........on the other hand i may have made my condition worse not knowing ? Happy new year Redsox cx

1 like

You may also like...