British Lung Foundation
39,600 members46,410 posts

No question is a stupid question, but what about a weird one.

How all those smells and fumes can affect us in a negative way, especially those with emphysema, has been discussed before, but I cannot recall food being cited as being responsible. Sharon likes toast well done, bordering on, and sometimes is, burned. I find my chest getting tighter, which makes sense as there is a kind of smoke.

But the other is the weird one "Crunchy Toffee Popcorn", which Sharon likes, the moment she opens the bag the smell knocks the breath out of me. I have eaten popcorn in the past plenty of times so I'm not allergic to it or didn't used to be. Is this just another one of those odd foibles that lung disease throws at us, has anyone else experienced a sudden aversion to a food.

17 Replies
oldestnewest

Oh dear the like button is playing up now! So I'm not alone and that weird after all. I thought that was butter flavour, either way a flavouring. That is some sensitivity, a bloodhound nose. It brings a new meaning to "listen to your body" . It is the same sort of reaction that I get to cigarette smoke. Not a full blown exascerabtion, but nonetheless uncomfortable to the extreme.

1 like

Its so weird how different smells effect us. I had heard of the popcorn effect previously on here but that's not one that takes my breath away. Log burners....cannot tolerate that smell and the majority of perfumed items(even when they claim to be fragrance free). Not much we can do but avoid these smells!

Mine is potatoes tomatoes and blueberries only recently become a problem but any of those and I struggle to breath ,but if tomatoes are cooked I’m ok potatoes and tomatoes are I think related too the deadly nightshade family

2 likes

With me it’s vinegar. It just seems I just can’t catch my breath. I had no idea about the popcorn thing. I’ve learned something else today.

And yes the Like button has its own gremlin, the other day I gave Hacienda’s post -1 likes 🙄

1 like

Hi

Could be a additive used in the manufacturing process,

Would you have the same effect with home made popcorn?

I think the smoke and charcoal from the toast is what is affecting you 2 greys and the cooked additive irritating to the airways.

Vinegar vapours affect me also hungryhuff

2 likes

Vinegar vapors smelt strait from the bottle effects most people,healthy or not.

I’m struggling with scented glad kitchen garbage bags...

I do also,All artificial smells and aerosols bother me.

I also suffer from popcorn smells, especially microwaved heavy butter kind. My husband has to open the bag outside, helps some but I still have a hard time breathing in the smell of it. Used to eat it all the time.

I do not normally have a problem. I know this will sound strange but Garlic for some reason bothers my chest. Before my pneumonia cooking with garlic was not a problem but now I cannot be in the same room.

This is really interesting!! I went to a Christmas Fair yesterday and they had a popcorn machine. The Fair was in a very large building but I seemed to be able to smell this wherever I was.I kept asking my daughter if it was bothering her too! I have IPF and now am extremely sensitive to paint fumes,scented candles,bonfires,fireworks,log burners, cigarettes,vapes....you name it!! .I went to a music gig last Friday and felt quite poorly because the band had a fog machine. I think our lungs realise they are damaged and are trying to protect themselves? I have had to try and dechemicalise my entire house and life! Sheila.

2 likes

Always hated the smell of over cooked eggs from school 🤢 since diagnosis (emphysema) I have to cook slower with less heat otherwise the smell/vapour produced really affects my breathing. Hot fat in a hot pan is the worse for me 😥

I find the little fir tree air fresheners that people put in their cars set me off coughing and also when they use dry ice on stage. I have mild bronchiectasis.

I have also learnt something new with Popcorn Lung!

In the past, I have burned very mildly scented soy candles in m home as an air freshener. Due to respiratory issues, I, of course, no longer do this. Would like to hear suggestions for freshening air that would not irritate respiratory system.Thx, Jan

I loved scented candles and sometimes burned two or three a day. I can no longer do this or use any artificial air freshener . I found a recipe for natural air freshener on the net. I have a small spray bottle and mix a small amount of vodka, essential oil and water. I use lavender oil and also have a peppermint one. These work very well and do not irritate my respiratory system. Sheila

1 like

I thought it was just my Sensitive Nose, Glad I'm not alone, Must tell Hubby to stop telling off for Sniffing things. I do love "Nice Smells" , I also love eating Caramel Popcorn with no offence to my Nose. Bear in mind I am listed for Lung Transplant. Maybe I have not realised all the damage I may have done with my Sniffy Nose. Years ago I did report a Gas Leak, in my Road, I was told by NW Gas, that the gas did not give off a Smell?!!!, Well they were Wrong, Luckily for the House Owner, they did find a Gas Leak and Fixed it. My eyes may not be Good, My Hearing is going, But I still love the fact that My Nose can Sniff, Just call me "Blood Hound"...Have a Nice Smelly day Everyone. Love n Hugs XXXX