Lung transplant waiting list rise pro... - British Lung Foun...

British Lung Foundation
40,610 members47,733 posts

Lung transplant waiting list rise prompts donation plea.

The number of people waiting for a lung transplant has gone up by 46% over the past five years, according to official figures. NHS Blood and Transplant (NHSBT) said the challenge of matching lungs of the right size and a rising number of ageing donors are possible factors. It called on people to talk about organ donation, because lung transplants are the only hope for those on the list. The overall waiting list for organs has come down over the same period. There are now 354 people waiting for a new lung in the UK, compared to 242 in 2012-13 - Laura Beattie from Greater Manchester is one of them.

bbc.co.uk/news/health-45452172

19 Replies
oldestnewest

I read in the press the other day, that about 3000 transplants could not happen, because (over a period of time which I cannot remember) relatives had refused consent, even though the prospective donor had put themselves on the donors list. This article said we should talk more to our relatives.

I feel there needs to be a change in attitude, I went to the trouble to put myself on the online register for being an organ donor. If I discovered, on my death, (I know an odd comment) that an interfering relative had countermanded my wishes, I would be furious. It maybe that someone has gone on the list, but not talked to relatives because they believe the relative would try to talk them out of it, or bully them into coming off it.

The Duty of Care of the Medics is to the patient, in this case the wishes of the donor (a patient at time of death) and the needs of the ill recipients, NOT to the relatives, sounds harsh but I feel strongly. Next of Kin cannot stop/alter treatment, even for their children, if the worst comes to the worst, if an argument between between Medics and NOK cannot be resolved, the Courts have to be brought in to decide on the best for the patient. These are fast tracked, there must be a way to fast track a system, to ensure transplants go ahead. It infuriates me, the thought that 3000 people have gone without life saving/changing transplants

4 likes

I could not agree more, although I signed up, developing the big C probably would stop any organ transplant, I cannot give blood now either :(

It is almost 5years since I had my transplant and without that I would not be here today. I am so grateful to the donor, their family and all the staff at wythenshawe hospital. I was high risk as I was very week but they pulled me through. Anyone who gets the opportunity should go for it.

3 likes

I'm glad it worked out very well for you seyre. Must be a very traumatic op for everyone involved. Wishing you continual good health. 💐😀

Thankyou

So Happy for you seyre. My Friend had her Transplant 2 years ago and is doing so well, another few friends have had their Lung Transplants and Living Life to the full as I'm sure you are Hun. If I receive my Transplant soon, I hope to have a Good few years to " Give back" by promoting even more Organ Donation. Have a Great Sunday Hun. Love n Hugs. Carolina XXXXX

1 like

Thankyou

I think the way round this would be when signing to donate your organ's a family member should sign as well, that way you wouldn't need further confirmation and there would be no delay.

1 like

Is it legal for a relative to overrule a person's wishes? Surely that's like relatives changing a person's wish to be buried and having them cremated instead, for example. I know organ donation is a sensitive subject but if the individual has chosen to donate their organs that wish should be respected. I have no knowledge of legal matters but isn't it up to the individual to choose what happens to them?

2 likes

I think the problem is about who the body belongs to after death. At present the law seems to assume that it's the property of the living relatives as the dead person can no longer own anything. By changing the law to prevent relatives from going against the dead person's wishes, title appears to go to the state or to the NHS, and the relatives get the residue - the bod without the harvested organs.

2 likes

I see 🤔 I guess that makes sense if no clear instruction was given regarding organ donation but if the person gave clear instructions when they were alive, when they were property of no-one, shouldn't that be respected? A change in law to this effect surely must be a good thing.

1 like

Hi Huff, I agree. 2020 brings "The Opt Out" which we would have preferred it to be Sooner. Especially for us Older Folk waiting Transplant. Although I Presume the only person The law would require to oppose would be the "Spouse" not any other family member. My Spouse & Family Know How Strong I feel about "Giving" XXX

Would it be possible to get the law clarified on the subject of who owns a dead body? I was not aware that (when he was alive) my husband would "own me" after I died, he certainly did not when I was alive. I did not think I owned him when he died, I just did what, in some cases, what I knew he wanted, where I did not, I asked his remaining family what they wanted (he did not do a Will GRRRR so most stuff very difficult)

Would it be possible to discover if this is "custom and practice", eg an assumption, rather than "law", is there anyone out there who knows a lawyer well enough to ask the question, without being charged?

It seems the executor has the rights and responsibilities. Ownership of a body involves mainly responsibilities. Have a read of this: huffingtonpost.co.uk/helen-...

1 like

Hi 2G's, Of Course I have also Been very Involved in all the Notices re Lung Transplant, Myself being one of the 354 People Waiting. You could say I am in the Category of the an "Older Recipitant", All my Family Far & Wide now have the Knowledge to understand a lot more because of my ongoing Disease, they all agree, they wouldn't have been aware, if it hadn't been for all the Promotions and Events I do and share on FB along with Other's of the Ilk. My Transplant Doctor Told me the other day at QE Birmingham That, There is more Money put into "Heart Donations" and NOT Lung , because the mentality of People is " They Smoked" He Made a Statement for The amount Of Heart Transplants in an older Person is due to Smoking. Straight from the Horses Mouth as it were. This last week has been very very Busy with "Organ Donor" week, which has been very Successful, watched myself all the Crowds of people Signing up at my Transplant hospital. This should be Promoted more often, not once a year. had to get that of my Chest, don't want to sound so serious, though it is. Happy Sunday to all, Especially to my Lovely Bald Hubby, feeling the Chill right now, We are still collecting the Pledges made to our Head Shaving for BLF, we estimate around £500. To a Brilliant Charity.. Love to Everyone . Carolina XXXX

2 likes

I've had respiratory problems my entire life yet until a few months ago I hadn't heard of BLF but I knew plenty about the British Heart Foundation. My dad had heart problems but it's genetic. Everyone on his side of the family has heart problems including all the female relatives. But a lot of heart disease is caused by poor diet or lifestyle including smoking yet there's not the stigma with heart disease as there is with lung disease. I think maybe that's why the BLF isn't as well known or promoted as BHF. Respect to you for promoting it 👍

1 like

Thank You Huff, Yes, you are Right. I also Feel BLF should have done a lot More in the Past, I have said as much at Our Breathe Easy Meetings. Your family have a Line of Heart Problems as you say Genetic, My COPD Emphysema was Diagnosed as Genetic and that My children should be Tested. ! My Parents & Grandparents Never smoked as my children don't. I did, unfortunately as a Social Smoker and never near my Children. Very Little is still not Known of Lung Disease and Hopefully with more Funds given to Research they will one Day have the Answers. ? have a Lovely Sunday Hun. Carolina XXXX

Yes hopefully some day with proper research and development there will be answers to the lung problems. It seems we know more about the surface of the sun than about the human lung. You have a good Sunday too 💐

1 like

Yes that is quite right, smoking does cause heart disease, as well as a myriad of other diseases as well as the lungs. I am a prime example of that, smoking (in my past) has "gifted" me 5 chronic diseases.

1 like

You may also like...