British Lung Foundation
36,478 members43,697 posts

E-cigarette vapor disables key immune cells in the lung and boosts inflammation.

E-cigarette vapour boosts the production of inflammatory chemicals and disables key protective cells in the lung that keep the air spaces clear of potentially harmful particles, reveals a small experimental study, published online in the journal Thorax.

The vapour impairs the activity of alveolar macrophages, which engulf and remove dust particles, bacteria, and allergens that have evaded the other mechanical defences of the respiratory tract.

eurekalert.org/pub_releases...

or

bbc.co.uk/news/health-45170756

15 Replies
oldestnewest

Very interesting, just seen it on the news. Will show my son. Xxxx

1 like

Hi

These studies need to step up a gear, there are over 7,000 different flavourings used, mostly from China which as poor regulator bodies.

3 likes

That's the first negative E Cig study, that's ever scared me.

I need to start preparing to dump the ecig..

The trouble is, I'm as addicted to it as much as I was to real fags.

Its going to be a hard habit to break. xx

Have you tried slowly reducing the nicotine content in the liquid? Which is how they are intended to be used as a quitting aid. It is one thing to have healthy working lungs and another if your lungs are already compromised, any increased risk of infection has to be guarded against if possible. I really hope you can manage to be rid of the addiction.

3 likes

I have got down to 12% from 24% 2greys, I'm gearing myself to go to the next level of 6% soon.

It was on the news today about putting ecigs on prescription.

I'm still going to try get off it altogether xx

1 like

Hi Casper99...nicotine is water soluble, excreted with urine. I just had a few bladder tumors taken out. Smokers have a higher incidence of this type of cancer, and I reckon ecigs would be just as bad. Cut down and then quit.

1 like

I'm going to try xx

1 like

Top story on the bbc news now

bbc.co.uk/news/health-45212444

Allow e.cigarette smoking in public places.

1 like

MP's! What do they know? They get lobbied by industry to do their bidding.

It did occur to me that the tobacco and other vaping companies had been lobbying the MPs. I understand that some people choose to use e.cigarettes and I’m not judging that, but to me it seems a strange step to consider the idea of allowing vaping in public places, especially enclosed areas.

Like nhs, phe, nice? That report was only on eight people

There was an MP on the radio just now saying the vapour from e.cigarettes is a nuisance but not a cause to have the current restrictions on vaping. I thought the smoke from vaping is more than just a nuisance to many people with respiratory problems. Anyway this MP was apparently quoting BLF?! I understand that vaping is probably better than smoking and can be an aid to smoking cessation and in that respect BLF might support vaping but this guy was suggesting that BLF and NICE stated there is no harm in vaping and no harm in second hand smoke from vaping. 🤔

That is so very wrong, nicotine is well known to HARM the healing process, hence the advice to not smoke with surgery or radiotherapy. Politicians are famous for twisting words to suit their own agendas.

1 like

It's something they can make money off 2greys, they're losing a lot of tax on tobacco sales. xx

1 like

I was diagnosed with COPD & bronchitis 7 years ago , so i stopped smoking by using an ecig about 6 years ago ,i find i have almost no chest infections compared to when i was smoking .I don't have fits of coughing , i have a deeper breath & can taste my food again . My fev 1 has gone from 69 to 72 a small improvement . I have no intention of giving up ecigs ,unfortunately i find the MSM to be totally unreliable for any real or true information these days . They always have an underlying agenda & of course the government only speak for what the biggest paying lobbyist or donator wants put out there . I am in no way saying everyone should keep using ecigs ,but what i will say they have been a life saver for me .