British Lung Foundation
35,361 members42,723 posts

What a relief, I am now able to categorically say "COPD has saved my life!"

This morning I saw the Oncologist for the results of my first post treatment scan. She was very pleased with the results. The tumour has shrunk from 5 cm diameter down to 2.1 cm diameter and there has been no scarring, the other tumours that I have are still stable. So I am in remission and with the prognosis that it will shrink a lot more over the next few months to come, so now waiting until December for another review.

All of this would have gone unnoticed until the cancer had been more advanced at the untreatable stage. Which is why lung cancer is so deadly, it hides away, by the time symptoms present themselves it is much too late. Having been diagnosed with COPD and classed as a being high cancer risk, because of a lot of past asbestos exposure, I have been on "watch and wait" and the cancer was picked up early whilst still treatable.

So whilst most are unlucky to get COPD, it is the reverse in my case I was lucky to get COPD, it has given me extra years of life. Of course I realise that I can still go on to develop another malignant tumour, Mesothelioma or Asbestosis later, which may never happen, but for now I'm quite happy to keep the cards that I have been dealt with and really over the moon.

89 Replies
oldestnewest

Really pleased for you 2grays

2 likes

What terrific news 2greys and a very positive outlook it seems. As you say COPD did you a favour. Take care xxxxx

3 likes

Wow, Just walked in from Shopping, Made me so happy to read this 2G's. Onwards & upwards, Great News. XXXXX

3 likes

That’s brilliant news!

2 likes

I’m so pleased for you, 2greys. It’s wonderful news. You're right - without the COPD you might have been unaware with a bombshell round the corner.

Keep well. xxx

4 likes

Undoubtedly so, I had not seen a doctor from aged 12 until COPD, so with me, the cancer would definitely have gone unnoticed until too late, no question about it.

5 likes

I’m so pleased for you 2greys. Brilliant 🌅

2 likes

That's fantastic news 2greys, I'm really pleased for you🎉🎊😁! Thanks for keeping us all so well informed all the way through and congratulations on a great result 😆 xx

6 likes

Hola Amiga, Just catching up before a Siesta. Hopefully your feeling a little better. When do you start your New Chemo/treatment, Think of you every day, as I do Ski's who I believe has been Poorly ? Look forward to hearing from You, if possible Carino, in your Busy Schedule . Besos. xxxxxxx

3 likes

Hola Carolina, I've been recovering from having my abdomen drained on Monday, stitches are much more comfortable now. Chemo is on Monday...so I've been trying to sort back to school shopping and food supplies etc before that. So much to do and not much energy or health to do it all haha.

Yes Skis is still unwell I believe, I'll pass on your good wishes...

Muchisimo amor amiga 💕❤

6 likes

I'm so happy for you and in a way your words are very true . Wish you well and hopefully see you both very soon xx A

2 likes

Congratulations 2 g's rewarded after a frustrating wait with probably the best news you could have hoped to receive.long may it continue ,........Ski's and Scruff's

5 likes

This has made my day! :-)

5 likes

More than made mine Don.

2 likes

So pleased 2greys. The future's looking good! Shows early detection really does pay off 💜🎉

3 likes

Good luck for the future

2 likes

Brilliant!.. x

2 likes

Happy for you 2gs, you really deserve good news ! Sheila xx

1 like

Wonderful news and fabulous thinking! So pleased. Mx

2 likes

That’s good news 2greys 😊 I am so pleased you are in remission.

Well it is often the case, one thing leads to finding another, I wouldn’t have had what they thought was asthma, a never ending bronchitis and a bout of pleurisy, I wouldn’t have had a CT scan and discover I had LAM..

I am grateful in a way like you..now that we are classified 😉 nothing will go a miss!! What a relief 😅

Take very good care of yourself x

Fran

4 likes

What good news. And not at all what one would think of. COPD saving lives?

Brilliant,,

K

5 likes

Great news for you today🕺🕺it must have been quite a pressure on your mind for some time. Well done ,time to relax properly now , and celebrate? 🍰🥂🍺🍺🕺💃

4 likes

Every day is a good day! Never give in and never give up! Very Happy for You! judg69

3 likes

Today is definatly a good day.

1 like

So pleased for you 2greys. With that attitude you will live forever. xx

3 likes

That's good news 2greys, and your positive attitude is commendable. Thank goodness for copd in your case. God Bless you my friend ✋️😉xxx

3 likes

Way to go young man!

2 likes

Bless you, I cant begin to imagine the relief you must be feeling. So happy for yo!

1 like

Thank goodness you've had good news on this steamy day. Looks like I'm hours behind congratulating you, to be honest I daren't read today's post in case your news was bad, silly cuckoo. Jane.

Great news!

1 like

That is good news. It’s amazing 😎 I’m very happy for you 🤩

1 like

Good news and surely a great relief for you. Sometimes good does come from bad. May you stay well.

1 like

Very pleased for you 2greys x

1 like

Great news 2greys 😊

1 like

Very pleased to hear that news. Definitely a case of every cloud has a silver lining! Keep well xx

1 like

Very much so, it was an aggressive tumour. I would probably have been lucky to see the new year without intervention.

And I too am over the moon to read this very welcome new 2greys . Very, very happy indeed. Enjoy your weekend. xx 😊👍

2 likes

Thanks Cas. I now see things in a totally different light to before. As Carnival567 said "every cloud has a silver lining" and definitely true in my case.

2 likes

What an encouraging post to get up to, so pleased for you, with your positive attitude.

1 like

Early detection really does make all the difference. So pleased for you! X

1 like

Brillo made up for you😊

1 like

Great news 2greys how relieved you must feel. Have a great weekend go out and celebrate. Love Carole 🍾🍹💝

1 like

We went out last night and had a mouthwatering whole barbecued rack of pork ribs each, washed down with a couple of real ales. Sharon then went on to win 3 times in the meat draw, although she did put one back into the draw. I am now under orders to cook one of them, a chicken, this morning before it gets too hot, we will have that as a cold meat with a salad tonight.

1 like

WOW 2greys it is certainly your lucky weekend. Enjoy your chicken 🐔xx

Good news indeed ! Take care and stay strong

1 like

Great news

1 like

Wow, that's great news. All the best for your ongoing treatment.

1 like

Good to hear your news and best for the future

Corin

1 like

Hooray! Great news, 2greys. I'm so pleased for you! xx Moy

1 like

Hi there,2greys, I am very happy for you that your sumours are shrinking and pray that they continue to reduce to nil mm.

1 like

Brilliant news 2greys, its nice to get good news sometimes. Lovely to hear you are pleased at the outcome too. Have a good weekend every best wish for continnued improvement in the tumour reduction. xxx

1 like

That's great news 2greys. Pleased for you, hope you are now on the road to a full recovery. Take care. xx

great news 2greys- take care - no overdoing things

1 like

Pushing myself to the limit has now become a habit with me and used to it, obviously the limits do vary with my health of the day. It is how I achieve to do all the things that I can still do. No surrender is now my motto.

2 likes

this has made my day to read this 2grays 😉

1 like

Fantastic news 2greys, am really pleased for you, you and breatheasy1 are a good example of postive thinking, may you continue to feel well and get better day by day . Irene x

2 likes

That is such great news, am so pleased for you 😊😊😊😊x

1 like

So happy for you 2greys, great news 🎉🎉🍾xx

1 like

Congratulations, really pleased for you. Your attitude to life is outstanding - well done

1 like

Really pleased for you good luck for the years and years to come 😆😆

1 like

This is great news, 2Greys. I love your informative posts and positive attitude.

1 like

Absolutely delighted for you. Hoping you go from strength to strength and can now get on with looking forward to less worry in your life.

1 like

Great news 2greys. Makes me believe in Fate even more.

1 like

I'm so pleased for you.

Like so many others, I’m really pleased for you. It must be uplifting too, to see so many people congratulating and wishing you well.

1 like

Thank you. How have you been, long time "no speak". I hope your freedom has continued since we last "spoke".

Unfortunately not great since December,2017 but picking up now on Azithromycin 3 days a week - seems to be working. Long slog to get back where I was, but will remember what you told me! Got me on top before- can do it again.

1 like

That's the spirit, I slip backwards when unwell, but get back up and go again.

1 like

Congratulations 2greys that's realy great news I'm so very pleased you and your wife no longer have that shadow hanging over you. Xxx

1 like

You have hit the nail on the head there, it has been a lot harder for Sharon than for me funnily enough, I have had more faith in the SABR treatment than she has, which has been no surprise, being more technically minded than she is, it is Sharon that has suffered the greatest mental anguish.

Great news 2greys all the best to you xxx

1 like

That is very good news, I’m very happy for you. I hope the tumour continues to shrink.

1 like

OMG 2greys what a terrific post to read! 69 replies of support,love and affection must tell you that you are not only VERY popular but also that your family on here,were crossing everything they could for some good news for you after your Consultant's meeting yesterday. The tumour is behaving itself and shrinking and by December you may even have more good news. You sound relieved and I can't begin to imagine how you and your family have coped so far. With your mental approach being positive and the lifestyle you've adopted being positive also,you truly deserve a break.

Enjoy and relax this weekend....you have earned it!

1 like

Wonderful news🐞

1 like

Hurray! So happy for you 2G :) :) :)

1 like

Great news about tumour shrinking and lovely way to look at it. I can definitely empathise - If it hadn't been for my kidney cancer the lung cancer wouldn't have been found till it was probably too late x

1 like

Crazy, but good how sometimes things work out that way. We must be the lucky, chosen ones.

Absolutely - I do feel very fortunate. Clouds and silver linings x

1 like

Great news , god bless

1 like

Best news I've had in a long time, so happy for you; had a good feeling all along because your attitude was so positive throughout, but it takes that bit of luck too. Well done that man!!

1 like

This could be best news ever - I am so happy for you. You’ve exhibited such courage & generosity of your time sharing information with us that has been so helpful. Thank you & God bless.

1 like

That's brilliant news 2greys, catching it early is the key to long cancer and it looks like the COPD has done you a great favour.

I'm pleased for you xx

1 like

Really good news 2greys x

Great news on the improvements may it continue.

I found out my heart palpataions my GP told me not to wory about were in fact AF and Tachicardia. When I was admitted for double pnuemonia in 1992! Since then I have had 13+ procedures to try and put it right but in AF at the moment mainly becuase I was not treated for many years? Damage done!

1 like

It is a shame this is sometimes not picked up and damage occurs because of it. My OH had MRI/CT scan and found to have had two strokes (didn’t know) due to the AF. I noticed tachycardia and took him back to the gp who asked for an echocardiogram - was found to have leaking mitral valve, probably due to AF. He is going to see cardiologist soon.

Like you, doctor (who was a consultant) denied him treatment at first and wouldn’t refer. He didn’t believe the paramedic who first diagnosed it. After the discovery of the strokes he had to treat it but even then there was no referral to cardiology, just medication and no monitoring.

I wonder if these failures are caused by doctors who don’t bother to check the pulse and listen carefully to cardiac/lung sounds. It’s perhaps not uncommon in people with chronic lung disease.

1 like

That is such good news 2greys

Fantastic news so so pleased for you xxx

1 like

That's great news 2greys , thinking of you.

Pleased for you

1 like

You may also like...