British Lung Foundation
39,068 members45,921 posts

E-cigarettes and Tobacco Product Use Linked to Increased Risk of Oral Cancer.

Tobacco use remains a leading cause of oral cancer but the tobacco landscape is evolving with increasing use of non-cigarette tobacco products and dual-use of multiple product types. Chaffee and co-author Neal Benowitz, also from the University of California, San Francisco, evaluated exposure to known carcinogens according to recent use of different tobacco product types, alone or in combination.

iadr.org/IADR/About-Us/News...

6 Replies
oldestnewest

Did they say most vapers use tobacco too? Nobody i know does.

1 like

Our NDN dual uses, smokes constantly but when visitors are there, she vapes, and she is pregnant for the 4th time.

Hey 2 greys went for my vaccinations today and was terrified reading all the flyers on the walls of my Gp surgery came out feeling like a hypochondriac! Could make you think you have everything. How frightening nowadays🙄🧐🤓

sciencemediacentre.org/expe... important point here is " Exclusive e-cigarette users were exposed to lower NNN and NNAL levels than other product users, despite comparable nicotine exposure. However, most e-cigarette users concurrently used combustible tobacco resulting in TSNA exposure similar to exclusive cigarette smokers." These studies turn up all the time but no-one in the US scientific community mentions that by every possible standard vaping is 95% safer than smoking. Some vapers continue to smoke when they first try e-cigs but most pack it in virtually overnight. I did but my son dual-used for some months, however he has been tobacco-free for 6 years. Big Pharma and Big Tobacco both have a financial interest in keeping people smoking, many of these studies are funded by them - did you notice the "put-down" in the comment by Professor Peter Hajek of Queens University, London? Is it really a good thing to bury the truth about the product that has provided the only viable alternative to smoking? There are now close on 3 million vapers in the UK, many millions more in the rest of the world, I hope they won't be put off by such propaganda.

ihttp://www.sciencemediacentre.org/expert-reaction-to-conference-talk-on-tobacco-products-e-cigarettes-and-exposure-to-carcinogens-being-presented-at-the-international-association-for-dental-research-iadr-conference/n

Sorry the link appears not to have worked but it's all there.

But then I was fine, smoking heavily for 55 years until a whole raft of health problems emerged, all attributable to smoking. What will be said of vaping in 50 years time?

There is now a new generation of kids who have never smoked, but have taken up vaping, seeing it as a new cool thing to do. Getting addicted to nicotine and only one small step away from smoking cigarettes. Kids are even vaping in schools, with stealth vaping, using gadgets that look like a USB stick that do not produce those clouds of vapour. I find it rather disturbing news.

news.usc.edu/144916/kids-sn...

1 like

I can only say that these are the very kids who would otherwise be getting addicted to smoking. Nicotine is not the Big Bad Wolf - we consume it every day in lots of healthy food, and the "Gateway" theory has been disproved so many times. I smoked for 60+ years and got my just desserts with COPD and asthma; I have to say that my asthma has actually improved and I have needed ABS and Steroids only a few times in the 8 years since I switched, and COPD has remained as it was then. This was not only a life-changer but a life-saver for me. No-one can predict 50 years ahead and I respect your misgivings, but no-one has died of vaping since its inception, a billion will die of smoking in this century.

1 like

You may also like...