British Lung Foundation
37,630 members β€’ 44,713 posts

Have been and gone and done it!

I have at last plucked up the courage to try the symbicort turbohaler this morning, after yet another couple of days of breathing hell! I didn't keel over and am still here! 😁

I didn't use Ventolin before, I just sat and waited for my breathing to calm down to be able to have a good breath in hopefully, which I hope I managed. So far all I can say is, I felt almost immediate lessening of SOB and within ten minutes was haviing a heated discussion with my husband, not an argument, over the ills of the world and laughing and reading Don's poem of the day about his loo!.....and all the comments out to my husband! Even with my meds I would have found this to be a struggle but without an impossibility. I then proceeded to walk quite briskly from my bedroom, across the landing to another because the dog was barking in my son's back garden whilst my husband was held up at the front door, shouted at the dog, and then walked back without even thinking about it. Say on my bed puffing a little bit but tolerable and put right with a couple of pursed lip breaths.

I know this is very early days, but so far am impressed and am hoping it will work for me because I really need to get back into an exercise pattern and build up some stamina. I have become so deconditioned, so depressed, and without motivation - I am really going to try to change this. So thank you to those of you who took the time out to reply to my previous post and tried to reassure me to at least try it. πŸ˜ƒ...... I can do this now and wait and see, keep your fingers crossed for me!

Is there anyone who just uses the symbicort with just the Ventolin for back up if needed?

29 Replies
oldest β€’ newest

Keeping everything crossed for you Annie. Xxx 🀞🏼

3 likes

Thank you sassy, I do so want this to help as it will make such a difference to my life. I've just gone downhill this last year but have kept on the same meds, fiddling with dosages and have just ended up using Ventolin too often for my liking!

3 likes

i don't use that inhaler Annie but just wanted to say how delighted i am for you that you have had such a rapid and favourable response to this new medication and long may it continue........love ski's and scruff's x

4 likes

Thank you skis, I'm not looking for the miracle cure but just an easier way to approach life with this illness and deal with it. One not afraid to deal with things in life but like most people a little nudge on the way makes all the difference!

5 likes

Hi Annie, I hope you do well on symbicort I can only say I don't know how i would have managed it was like magic to me I have bricanyl also. Good luck. Majt πŸ˜„

6 likes

Thank you and I agree but don't want to use that word yet!!!! 😁

1 like

πŸ˜„πŸ˜…πŸ‘

1 like

Thanks! Do you find bricanyl more effective than Ventolin and on balance how often do you use it being on symbicort?

Hi Annie, I was give bricanyl with the symbicort at hospital so I've never used anything else with it. Majt ☺

So pleased to hear this news from you. It is complicated to get the β€˜right’ inhaler as different people react differently to them. I have had several over many years and luckily have not had a bad reaction to any of them. The last change was to Fostair because arthritis makes it difficult for me to use the pushing on the inhaler to release the dose.

4 likes

Thank you. Some of my reluctance as well was to change from a mdi inhaler to a turbuhaler. I don't quite know what I was expecting but that thought made me a bit panicky, however it was a lot better than I had imagined, so that fear has been eradicated as well. I had a much bigger in breath than I thought I could do and I put this down to waiting for my breathing to correct itself before using. I've learned a lot from the folk on this site although having always suffered with anxiety I do have some good coping measures I try to put in place and these help with calming down and breathing!

3 likes

Hi Annie, I guess like all the respiratory med's you will have to give the Symbicort time to become fully effective. Until you mentioned it I had never heard of it so was unable to comment sensibly but like all your friends, I am so glad it is working for you - Piers.

1 like

Thanks Piers, one can only hope! It's been six hours now and haven't been gasping for breath. Had one or two moments when I felt a bit of breathlessness but rested and it went. That's a lot different from yesterday when I would have been lucky to hit three hours without having to use ventolin. Admittedly I haven't done much but I've had a good lunch and it didn't feel an effort to eat it so enjoyed it. That's an improvement. I'm just going to have to wait and see when I've used it for a longer period of time.

1 like

Good for you Annie - it will be the bronchodilator component which is working straightaway if your experience is anything like mine. The budesonide (steroid) will take longer and then you'll truly be flying :) :)

I pretty much only use Symbicort. Inhaled Ventolin hasn't worked for me for years but I have Ventolin nebules to use with my nebuliser for when I get throat spasms which won't clear on their own. So I use that less than once a week now, also I have Oromorph following hospitalisation two months ago, but I havent used that for about 3 weeks now. So answer to your question is really, on a day to day basis, yes - just Symbicort.

So glad the Symbicort is already making a difference and look forward to hearing how it goes on for you. Take care :)

2 likes

Thanks O2Trees, much appreciated and will do!

Hope it’s the one for you, give it a couple of weeks though for your lungs to adjust to it. Then you should know more re Benefits etc.

2 likes

Will do and thanks!

Yep, I use Symbicort with Ventolin as backup and it seems to work. Seeing my own consultant tomorrow, so will find out more. So pleased for you, by the way, so keep it up!

1 like

Thank you! How did you get on with your appointment?

1 like

No change in two years, which I take to be a good sign! Still have the lungs of a 90 year old (I am 68 today), so my age is catching up with my lungs!

1 like

πŸ˜€

Great it all works out for you Annie. Keep taking your inhalers. We get used to them and they are a relief.

Take care x

Fran

1 like

Thanks Fran. A bit despondent if truth be told. The last couple of days been a bit lightheaded and nauseous, nothing I can't handle but still quite breathless at times. Try to go as long as I can before using Ventolin but still can't do much at all. I don't quite know what to expect! xx

1 like

Dear Annie

I would certainly give the GP/the nurse and/or BLF helpline a call so you get proper advice on how to handle your inhalers, dosage and side effects. Do let them know how you have approached the treatment so they know how to help you.

All I can say is it took me a while to get on with inhalers and I have had so many of them..

As an example, when I started it was Ventolin.. 20 years ago.. just one puff used to make me feel like I had taken a double coffee espresso! Now I have to take 4 puffs to get any effect whatsoever..

Take care Annie x

Fran 🌼🌞

1 like

Thanks Fran for your input. To be fair, it is only four days since I started it. I know my dosage and when to take etc and when I wrote this morning it was before I took my first dosage today. Since then I've had no nausea or lightheadedness today but have had the shaky hands for a couple of hours! I did have indigestion and crampy tummy the second day which is unusual for me but that went as fast it came! Not had it since though appetite is not too special.

On the plus side, I haven't had muscle cramps since stopping seritide and flixotide and on symbicort and my heart rate has dropped to what is more normal for me. My chest gets tight just like before within 3 or 4 hours of taking it so I don't think it's helping with breathlessness as much as it seemed to the first day and it's when to take Ventolin that am not sure about. Told to take it as backup so presumably instead of struggling on I take a couple of puffs. I just kinda of got the impression that I wouldn't need it so am worrying if I do need to take it! I'll work it out one way or the other!

1 like

That’s why I went on a long-action bronchodilator like serevent, it lasts 12 hours. So I take that 2x a day and Ciclesonide or Alvesco 2x a day. Ventolin is just an emergency back up.

Xx Fran

That’s why I went on a long-action bronchodilator like serevent, it lasts 12 hours. So I take that 2x a day and Ciclesonide or Alvesco 2x a day. Ventolin is just an emergency back up.

Xx Fran

1 like

GP or Nurse or Respiratory unit should have given you a peakflow and action plan. I take my peakflow I know when and what to take for what.

My peakflow is below normal, a max of 320 on good days so I know how to increase my inhalers if I am between 320 and 250, if I am under 200 I have to take 40mg rescue steroids, to call 999 and start on the Ventolin emergency plan. You can find that on Asthma UK website for example if not you have it on your action plan.

Apart from that I can take Ventolin as needed up to 8 or 10 x a day.

So that is my prescription of course.

I feel safe knowing what to do.

πŸ˜ŠπŸŒΈπŸ’

Glad it works so well. I have Sirdupla, Spiriva, and Ventolin as a back up. Works ok. But I did prefer the old Steroid one that they seem to have taken us all off. 😊🌻✌️

You may also like...