British Lung Foundation
39,529 members46,329 posts

This will be unpopular. But in the interest of unbiased reporting:

Dogs can be a potential risk for future influenza pandemic.

Dogs are a potential reservoir for a future influenza pandemic, according to a study published in the journal mBio. The study demonstrated that influenza virus can jump from pigs into canines and that influenza is becoming increasingly diverse in canines.

"The majority of pandemics have been associated with pigs as an intermediate host between avian viruses and human hosts. In this study, we identified influenza viruses jumping from pigs into dogs," said study investigator Adolfo García-Sastre, Ph.D., director of the Global Health and Emerging Pathogens Institute and principal investigator, Center for Research on Influenza Pathogenesis (CRIP), Icahn School of Medicine at Mt. Sinai, New York City.

medicalxpress.com/news/2018...

30 Replies
oldestnewest

Put up the barricades!

6 likes

My unbiased opinion is that we should be eating more pigs. Bacon butties are wonderful. :-)

8 likes

Hi

Send all puppies to me for isolation until a suitable antibiotic is found.🐕🐕🐕

14 likes

Dog owners now have something in common with bird owners! Now at last, I know why a have a parrot that barks like a puppy dog.

8 likes

Everyone have cats instead :) x

8 likes

But could they get them to mess in there own gardens instead of mine, would they like it if my dog messed in theirs

Cats will mess where they like and it is impossible to get them to do otherwise, This is recognised by law. Cats bury their mess which is a good fertilizer unlike dogs.

I could teach the other parrot to "meow" :)

5 likes

You'd be better teaching it to say "Push off Piggy" or something like that.

4 likes

I’m with Bev, cat lovers unite. Xxx 😘😀😉

4 likes

Bracken the spaniel doesn't think much of that report. He points out that all life is a risk!

5 likes

Dora the Spanish water dog and I have declared UDI (remember them?). We will not be communicating with the outside world.

6 likes

Are you sure she's not one of these?:

dogbreedinfo.com/rhodesianr...

2 likes

OMG!! Seriously 2G? Check here: dogbreedinfo.com/spanishwat... - or here: spanishwaterdogclub.co.uk/w...

Anyway, shouldn't it be a Zimbabwean ridgeback these days?!

1 like

Lol. I was just linking the dog with reference to the Unilateral Declaration of Independence :) Rhodesia just came to mind.

1 like

Of course! Excuse my slowness. I had a cousin who worked there selling tobacco - he still calls the place Rhodesia to this day.

1 like

I wonder how long it will be before dogs are being offered flu vaccination?

3 likes

If this research is true, then isn't that a good idea?

1 like

World health Organisation may disagree with that..........

search.who.int/search?q=Dis...

1 like

I looked at your link Bkin and could only see warnings about giving dogs antibiotics - nothing about flu jabs. Am I missing something?

1 like

Yes my error brain fuzz apologies. Seems there are already flu vaccines for dogs, guess best check with your vet.

Some more info: sciencenews.org/article/dog...

1 like

Interesting sciencenews article.

1 like

Tons of dogs around my place. I'm in serious trouble...

:)

1 like

Cats just as bad health24.com/Medical/Diseas...

But think about it, there's likely always been the risk from any animal to humans, but we are all still here :)

I have loads of birds in my garden visiting every day, the only one I saw dead was killed by the neighbours cat and in addition cats that poo on other peoples veg patches are more likely to increase the risk passing on disease to humans, and oh golly gosh the amount of birds droppings in gardens, wow - always wash your veg and fruit even if they are home grown. :D

2 likes

Lol....So can pet birds cats and any other mammals. Yes it could happen but cross over species infections are rare.

1 like

Its all down to washing your hands before you ingest food, and washing the food in case the food or your hands have been in contact with anything nasty :)

Surprising how many people still don't wash their hands after going to the loo and before eating but that is another health issue including hands that may have been in contact with other contaminants - but as I said we are all still here, but washing hands and vegetables / fruits is a very good precaution throughout the year :)

2 likes

I’ll take my chances! 😁

1 like

Good job this didn't happen during the last war when we British were all Schweinhund (pig-dogs) according to the Nazis. ;-) What you might call a double whammy. :-)

1 like

Some would say it is still happening:

who.int/csr/don/28-may-2018...

who.int/csr/don/05-june-201...

all depending which country you are visiting or if the virus is bought into this country of course, cross species contamination ......

in the interest of unbias reporting of course :D

search.who.int/search?q=Dis...

man's best friend is probably of least concern at present.

1 like

I’m not going to panic just yet. Fortunately we don’t have pigs around where we live. So I’ll continue to love and play with my pups and be grateful for good health and hope for longevity and live life w/out worry. Peace

3 likes

You may also like...