British Lung Foundation
36,901 members44,067 posts

Spiriva inhalation powder capsules

I have been on Spiriva for a few months.(also on fostair for some time)

I have been suffering with symptoms of silent reflux and breathing ‘tightness’ mostly in the evenings causing coughing at night. I am on meds for acid due to being on aspirin.

I feel that the Spiriva may be causing the dry/ scratchy/ burning throat and tight breathing .

I have stopped the Spiriva a few days now ( but monitoring things ) as I have a GP appointment on 23rd.the reflux symptoms seem less but have just checked my Fev1 and it’s gone down 10 (from 71% to 61%) from last week. It had been stable at 71 for a while. I will check it again before my GP appointment. I didn’t want him to just take me off it then have to wait ages if I needed to go back on it. Hope this makes sense. Just wondering if these side affects are common and if anyone that can’t take it had deteriorated or has been px something as effective in its place. Take care you all and hope this weather is good for everyone. Will keep you posted

14 Replies
oldestnewest

Hi Chriskho, I have been on Spiriva for a few months also. Not sure about reflux as was already on meds for reflux as have hiatus hernia but feel I have to continually clear throat and sometimes voice goes croaky or goes altogether until I clear throat, think this is all due to Spiriva. Also sometimes eyes get blurred, like there is a film over them, today seems worse than ever and think I read somewhere that Spiriva affects eyes. Will have to see gp, yet again!!!! Am afraid to come off it as told it will really help in the long term. Good luck with your gp appointment and keep us posted.

2 likes

Thanks ,yes my voice get really horse. Didn’t stop it lightly but thought if there was a real difference I could tell the GP on Wednesday. Hopefully he can px me something similar to try as it seems to have made a difference to my lung function.

I wasn’t sure if it was the Spiriva or the Omeprazole causing me problems.

I have been on Omeprazole for about 2 years and still sometimes get heartburn so maybe need a switch from them. I do drink water after taking Spiriva but still get the hoarse voice, seems to be just trial and error with these medications.

1 like

I need to discuss both with the GP because I don’t think omeprazole works for me as I didn’t take it for some time.

I have put myself back on the Spiriva yesterday and tonight my Fev1 is back up to 72% so it definitely works..... but my throat is now horse again and the coughing returned

In Canada we have spiriva in a aerosol puffer just like salbutamol, no more chalky dry mouth or cough, and you dont have to rinse your mouth.

1 like

Seeing a drop in your FEV1 after stopping Spiriva is certainly not unexpected and when I stop for a few days my FEV1 will also drop a fair amount. I would expect if you started taking it again it would go back up,

1 like

Went to see GP today he has taken me off Omeprazole and put me on Lansoprazole also changed my Spiriva powder inhaler to Spiriva Respimat. So will see how I get on.

Like most COPD inhalers, Spiriva contains an anticholinergic, which can dry out the mouth and also cause blurry vision. You may wish to discuss anticholinergic side effects with your GP.

**I have edited this post to add some official drug information from the UK government.**

The UK formulary site states that dry mouth is "common" and dysphonia/speech trouble "uncommon". Please see medicines.org.uk/emc/produc... for official information.

1 like

Thank you for that👍

omg I thought i was going to die when I got gerd (acid reflux0, A doc at the emergency prescribed a pink lady, it looks like pepto bismo, and has ladacaine, in it amazing helped within 10 mins. But from now on I'm getting the coated prednisone it helps with the acid reflux

1 like

Thanks .Do you take anything regular for acid?

I think I’ve finally found the culprit re the silent reflux and tight lungs in the evenings. Been on lacto free milk for a month. What a positive difference!!

You may also like...