British Lung Foundation
36,434 members43,660 posts

Should we sleep and wake early to boost our health?

When a recent study looked at health differences between late and early risers, it appeared to make grim reading for night owls. Increased risk of early death, psychological disorders and respiratory illness.

bbc.co.uk/news/health-44070961

and the more technical, original study

tandfonline.com/doi/full/10...

15 Replies
oldestnewest

I go to bed at 10 and am usually up by 7 at the latest. Not sure if that’s any good but that’s me. Xxxx

1 like

Not sure quite where I fit in the scheme of things I go to bed at 11:30 pm and get up at 5:00 or 6:00 am so I could be an owl and a lark at the same time. But to be fair when I get up I am only surfing the Web on the PC and taking meds until 7:30 when I go to work. I keep to the same times at weekends too, otherwise it messes up the pattern of taking meds at the same times which would affect my breathing.

2 likes

Fair enough 2greys. Xx 👍😘

Very interesting subject and the BBC link you provided,has a quick quiz, to see if a person is a lark or a night owl......yes, I'm an owl.

2 likes

INFO.The "quiz" does not work in Firefox but does in Explorer/Edge (the big E)

1 like

Bed at 10 up at 4. 5 o clock is a lay in ...lol. Joined military at 16 never been one to stay in bed. Even in hospital I had changed my sheets had a shower and was ready for the day at 6. Also never needed more than 6 hours sleep.

1 like

The quiz says I'm balanced. Just wish I could get a bit more sleep, with fewer interruptions!

3 likes

Oops I am doomed ha ha. Since retiring and getting up at 5 am every morning I have changed to a night owl retiring at nearly midnight and rising at 7 o’clock. If I go to bed any earlier I do not sleep and end up playing on my IPhone which is naughty as it makes sleeping harder.

Would love a good nights sleep though. Not waking up through the night coughing etc but if that’s my only grizzle I am lucky

2 likes

I cannot seem to get more than 4 -5 hours of sleep at night. If I go to bed at 12, I'm up at 4 or 5 o'clock, If I wait until 2 am (hooray for Netflix!) I'm up at 6 or 7. Sleeping tablets help, but I don't like taking them.

It's hard to get about with these lungs but since I've been given Oxygen and put myself on an exercise regime I do get a little more. It still isn't enough to make me feel happy or content with it. I have read several studies that strongly advise 8 hours minimum.

Not bad news for night owls unless they must keep morning hours.

1 like

exactly. Where would the world be if everyone wanted to get up early and go to bed early? Doctors, nurses, night workers.

1 like

Like a lot of statistical surveys they have to be taken with some scepticism because they can rarely validate the direction of causality. I could make a case that 'unhealthy people' - people with existing health conditions like us, drug/alcohol-abusers, people with mental of emotional issues (making no perjorative accusations here) - cannot get to sleep early, so that the causality is completely reversed from that which the surveys claim. I'll contend for the sake of argument that lack of health (in its broadest sense) causes people to stay up late, not that for people who stay up late lack of health is the outcome. The survey cannot conclude that two identical individuals, one of whom sleeps early and one of whom sleeps late have different likely health outcomes.

Basic stuff from my Stats 'A' level many moons ago!

4 likes

well I am well and truly doomed I came out as an extreme owl but I always have been that way and as my carers wake me at 10.30 am too early for me I have to catch up at least once a week and have a lie in till about 4pm also not a good plan never mind have been like this for years and can't seem to change it now ...... my genetic makeup must have come from doing the night watch for the community.........

I am a extreme Owl now but wasn't for years. I retired 4 years ago because of my medical problems and went on disability. I would go to bed at 9 and get up at 4 if I had to go into work early. Since I retired I stay up as late as I want to and sleep in until I am ready to get up. Go to bed at 3 and get up at 11 but I always feel tired. So maybe this schedule is not the best!

I have found my quality of sleep before 6.30am is worse than after that time. So same amount of hours and up at 7.30 I feel awful. But rotate those hours to a later time I feel refreshed and ready.

I think it may be due to the air quality during the night? added to my owl preference.

You may also like...