British Lung Foundation
34,232 members41,628 posts

COPD and keeping active

Just a note to say my Fev1 was At 56% some time ago (and much lower than that at its worse) I’ve come to the conclusion after going through the usual crying, obsessive reading, wrapping myself up in cotton wool and not doing anything much to now being as active as possible( nothing athletic )just going back to work 2 days and not sitting around as much, fresh air and 5 minutes on my mini treadmill when I’m not working. Managed to get my Fev1 up to 71% despite the 4 winter chest infections. So after all I think ‘ getting moving’ is the answer for me.

27 Replies
oldestnewest

That is a very sensible conclusion to reach. :)

3 likes

Thank you for sharing. I'm glad you feel better. Your experience makes me feel more optimistic about being able to improve things slowly for myself.

3 likes

Yes it was little by little over the past couple of years really. Take care

2 likes

Well done !!! You must be delighted. Keep it up Chriskho. xx

2 likes

Thanks I intend to do more walking outdoors as I’ve not wanted to go walking alone in the winter but will intend to start now the weathers picking up.

1 like

I hibernate in winter and then have to try make up for it in spring.

I hate cold weather, haha xx

1 like

I know what you mean I am a fair weather friend

1 like

Yay Chriskho . 👋

That is really good news. I am really pleased for you and an FEV 1 of 71% is enviable. I managed two half hour walks yesterday, in the afternoon and evening. And felt good after. But I am mindful to take it easy when I am having a down day . I am so glad you are feeling good. Kudos to you. Well done.

Cas xx 🌞🌷

4 likes

Thanks we all have different diagnosis and different symptoms so you must do what your body allows . Glad you enjoyed your walk I should do more outside. Take care.

4 likes

Hi Cas!! So glad you enjoyed two walks...I hope that charming Chom was with you. I am sending you wishes for joy and happiness.

Meg sending hugs...xx

1 like

Hello Meg.

One walk was on the treadmill and the other was with Chom , outside. 😄 I have had three good days in a row, as I was just telling BSA-3 . Very, very happy indeed. 💝 I hope you are doing okay?

Much love to you too. xx 🙋🐕🐾

1 like

Congratulations, that is very good news.

1 like

Thanks it’s been little by little. Hope it continues. Take care.

1 like

Good for you, I've always felt better after a walk, I know it's hard when your in the throes of an infection, but when your recovering, walking will help x☺☺

2 likes

Great news and an example to us all.

2 likes

Celebrating you!!

Take good care....

Meg

1 like

Great News Chriskho, walking works for me too. I have had a Fitbit for 2 years (since my diagnosis) & thought at the time I was quite active when in fact I was only doing 8,000 steps a day. Now I usually do 25,000 & very rarely have to use my blue inhaler. We started a group on facebook for people with copd (some are severe, some are mild) who have a Fitbit & set step challenges amongst ourselves, great motivation :)

2 likes

You are obviously more active than I. I do around 10.000 steps two days a week at work but only do around 5 minutes a day on my mini treadmill. Need to do more walking outside but my husband can’t do walking and I’m not keen going on my own. I work irregular shifts so can’t really do a walking group. My exercise regime is now and again but on the whole I’m pretty fit. My GP says I’m too fit to go on a rehab course.

1 like

The majority of my steps are done inside Chriskho. I have the Amazon Echo & I say , Alexa play jogging music & I'm off. She often mishears me & says here is some jungle music lol. x

1 like

Actually I was watching something on you tube re an African (I think) dance for exercise last week looked fun. Will try and find it again that may give me more motivation lol💃

1 like

25,000 steps a day! Isn't that more than 10 miles? I did 5 miles today and thought I was doing well.

Well done Chris, yes, i agree with you. I try to ignore my Lung problem, within reason. As i think obsessing, over it would lead my feeling sad, n lazy. Better to stay positive and get out-n--about. I think. Good luck. 😊🌻✌️

1 like

I do dwell on it during flare ups it’s hard not to and sometimes it takes a while to get motivated again. When I feel better I feel quite normal, apart from the meds and side effects. When my chest feels normalish again (a bit chesty at the mo) I would like to try withdrawing my inhalers bit by bit and try some ‘natural ‘remedies. Take care please

Tried leaving off my Spiriva inhaler for a few days but my Fev1 dropped from 71% to 61% so have asked my GP for Spiriva Respimat because I suffered badly with sore throat with the powder one. So that’s taught me NOT to withdraw my inhalers!

Have you been diagnosed long Chris? I've had COPD diagnosed 14 years now. I Swim do Tai chi n a little Yoga n plenty of walking. Although, there are times ( especially in Winter) that i cant exercise at all. Most days i can do something and I've managed to stay at level 3. So i feel it works. 😊✌️🌻

Apparently I was given a spirometer test well over 7 years ago so it was put in my Gp notes that I had COPD but I was never told about it until 3 years ago! Different dr and surgery. I was gobsmacked

and very upset originally. I now have annual checks of course . I was around 56% I think when I was told but that went down to 45% (even39% one winter)at one point. So I guess I was level 3 at best. I’m really happy I’ve got it up to 71% at present although it’s hard to believe it sometimes in the evening esp after 6pm. What meds are you on for COPD?

Yes,.It seems to vary especially after a Cold or chest infections. I take Sirdupla 250mg. 2puffs morning n 2 at night. Spiriva 250mg 2 puffs morning and a Ventolin for if i need it. Rarely do though. I have Chronic asthma, which Doc says I've had from Childhood. unbelievable, ( as I've always had an extremely squeeky voice) went undiagnosed! Try not to worry to much Chris 71,% is not bad at all. Certainly better than mine. It's manageable, mostly and a lot of people on this site have it a whole lot worse than we do. That's what i always think. 👍😊🌻

You may also like...