British Lung Foundation

Hello!

Hi to all you lovely people. Thought i should introduce myself after lurking for a few days. I was just recently diagnosed with COPD after a few months of coughing wheezing and chest infections. I'm on my 5th course of antibiotics at the moment. Feel like i've been feeling ill forever! I'm in shock about it all really and wondering if I will ever feel well again. I had a ventolin inhaler given me before Christmas and last Friday was given a Spiriva inhaler. Not sure how long that takes to work but as I have a chest infection its not really doing anything at the moment. Trying to think positive that it will help before too long and that i'll feel better when the infections finally clear up. So glad I found this site a few days ago, everyone seems so lovely and supportive, its fantastic.

40 Replies
oldestnewest

Welcome. It is a lovely site, lots of good friends here. Always someone to ‘talk’ to. Hope you feel better soon.

3 likes

Thankyou for the welcome Sheepdog, nice to meet you. Such a helpful site!

2 likes

Hello chloe12, and a very warm welcome to you. All of us here will offer you all the help and support you need, it's nice to have you on board. I have suffered with very severe Emphaseama for a number of years so I know how your feeling. We all know about chest infections and breathing problems, so you are at the right place Chloe. This winter has been aweful for all of us suffering constant bouts of flu and never ending amounts of antibiotics and steroids. However, I know how worrying and stressful all of this is to you, but it's not the end of the world like it seems at the moment. You are going through the stage of thinking, oh god what happens to me next. Well you just need to relax, learn your breathing excersises , take your medication and carry on living as normal. After a while Chloe you will adapt to your new way of living . You will get your good days and bad like the rest of us, but you will also know how to deal with it. Any probs then we are here to help you. Take care of yourself Chloe ✋️😊

5 likes

Thankyou Stumpy for the lovely welcome. I'm sorry to hear you've been suffering with emphasema for a long time. Its a comfort to know that I will adjust to this illness in time, its just a bit of a shock to the system. The weather certainly doesn't help. I haven't been given any breathing exercises yet so i'm going to ask about pulmonary rehab. I hope you're keeping reasonably ok.At least its warmed up a bit!

2 likes

Your welcome Chloe12, and don't forget we are all here for you. Yes obvcourse it's a shock to the system when you first get told you have COPD it is for everyone, but like I say once you know all about what you need to do, you'll breeze through it with the occasional hiccup along the way. With regard to your breathing excersises, you need to breath in through your nose slowly, then out through pursed lips like blowing out a candle. Practice whenever you get the time. I'm glad you are considering pulmonary rehab, that will help you a lot. Please keep Intouch with us? ✋️😊

2 likes

Thank you, I will ! 😊

2 likes

Hi your chest infections and antibiotics if you’re using amoxicillin as I was I had to

change them to something stronger clarithromycin and gastro resistant steroids, they do the job much better hope this helps you

1 like

Hi oooodicky, nice to meet you. Hope you're keeping well. I was given Azithromycin last week which didn't clear it. I did a sputum test before I started them and today got the results and was given amoxcyllin so I hope they're going to work. I've had the Azithromycin and similar before and they give me the most awful stomach pains and upset stomach. So will have to see how I go with the amoxy. Fingers crossed because I'm very fed up with it.

1 like

Ok Chloe, hope they work for you better than they did me. 😊

1 like

Me too!

1 like

Welcome Chloe to this caring, supportive forum. Wishing you well. Xxxx

2 likes

Thank you for the welcome sassy59, nice to meet you on this lovely forum.

2 likes

Welcome to the group Chloe, it takes I bit of getting used to having breathing difficulties. But you will get used to it and learn how to deal with it and then you can get on with life as you did before. To compensate you now have a load of new friends ;-)

5 likes

Thank you Don-Rhymer, it really is nice to feel that everyone here understands how I'm feeling and is so friendly and supportive. I hope in future I will be able to do the same for other people. I hope you're keeping well at the moment, spring is round the corner and that's keeping me going 😊

3 likes

Hi and nice to meet another new member. Looking forward to getting to know you and no doubt,in the very near future,we'll be "chatting"!

3 likes

Thank you SquirrelsHolt, everyone's been so welcoming , its lovely. I'm looking forward to chatting with you and getting to know everyone. I hope you're keeping well at the moment.

2 likes

Hi Chloe12, we have already met on another post. Glad you have come on board to share your stories with us. I’ve heard rehab is brilliant but my doc won’t refer me at the moment as she ‘wants to see how I go!’. Would love to do it so contacted a COPD foundation nurse who is going to get information for me. I am very anxious with diagnosis and have been advised to take up yoga by my gp. Very hard when newly diagnosed but with the help of this wonderful forum at least we have support. Take care.

2 likes

Yes I replied to your post about your anxiety. Very glad to have you here to chat with as we're both new to this! I'm told that you have to push the doctors to get things done as i've had very little info from them. I was totally fobbed off when I first started feeling ill but just kept going back. Apparently they couldn't hear me wheezing though I could hear it clearly myself! So I need to go and ask about the pulmonary rehab as they haven't mentioned it. I did get a book out of the library about sitting in a chair yoga and meant to have a go but feel so unwell at the moment with the chest infection that I can't do it at the moment. But will try when I feel a bit better. I know I haven't got the energy or fitness to do too much exercise straight off. I really do believe that this forum will be a source of info and comfort for us, and anytime you want to private message me please feel free as I know how you're feeling. Take good care of yourself x

3 likes

Thank you Chloe and vice versa, feel free to message me anytime too as this can really get on top of you. One thing after the other, now my resting pulse rate is high so will have to set out exercise plan. I am going to look up youtube re yoga and see if it is something I think I can do. This is a learning curve that we can take on together and with other members. I really hope your chest infection clears up soon and that you can get back to relatively ‘normal’ lifestyle. x

2 likes

Thank you, you too Shazza. The anxiety of it doesn't help at all oes it, especially with the breathing. Good idea to look on youtube for the yoga. If I find this library book I've got is any good I'll let you know in case it would help you. I can't stop yawning and I'm so bored with not being well enough to go out or do anything at the moment that I think I will just go to bed. I keep finding myself bursting into floods of tears. Ugh. Hope you have a nice evening and a good sleep, take care x

2 likes

Just going to bed now Chloe. Sometimes a good cry is really needed, I have done it a lot this week but hopefully day by day you will get stronger and back doing the things you normally do, I really feel for you but it can’t last forever. I am trying to be positive now for everyone’s sake as have been in a world of my own this past week. Tomorrow another day and let’s kick this in the butt. Sleep well x

2 likes

Hi I do pulmonary rehab on line so I can do it as often or as little as I want that’s instead of going to the hospital the nurse at the doctors sighed me up for it try asking it’s ok

1 like

That sounds really good, I didn't know you could do it online! Thanks for that info Appydayz. I will definitely be asking about it. It sounds a good idea for when you're not feeling up to going to a group. Hope you are doing ok today?

Hi, when you say you do the PR online is it on a web site or an App or something similar, I really need to start doing some form of exercise to help my COPD but struggle to get about due to weight and arthritic issues.

Hi no it's from the pulmonary centre the nurse put me in touch. With them and I am doing a 7 week course on line instead of going to a centre it's called my health online it's good as I am in Spain a lot so wanted to do it while I was away as well

Thanks for the reply I will enquire when I go to see my nurse.

Hi did your doctor say for you to stop or continue with the the ventolin, I would say continue as the ventolin is the preventer..... Talk to you gp or gp nurse.... Cause my understansing is it doesnt matter wot other inhaler u get hiven u will still need the preventer which is the Ventolin......

Hi Raka16, thanks for your reply. Yes he said to continue with the ventolin as well. I'm just still so wheezy with the infection even so. I think he should have given me some steroids, I wasn't given a rescue pack although I have had them a couple of times before. If I'm no better tomorrow i'll ring and ask for some as I don't want to get stuck over the weekend. Feel like I'm forever at the doctors!

I so know that feeling, When I got Diagnosed with Bronchiectasis by my Respiratory Physician I was like omg, my husband died of thos disease, both myself and daughter broke down.... and straight away I said no way I am going to give up smoking as of now I dont want to die.... So I gave up smoking on the 1st of October, and still not smoking my Physician gave me a script for the green and blue brio autohalers an Roxithromicin and Ventolin.... The Roxy was to be taken for 3 months but however I had to be taken off it afyer a month as my thyroid function dropped tremendously and my liver functions elevated but since bn off antibiotics and just using inhalers I have bn great.... Quiting the smokes helped but I feel really good I lnow it not going to always be like this but it I feel way better than I did before the Diagnosis..... So for now hun stay positive and do wot makes u feel good.... Like everyone else, I am here although I dont spend alot of time on here it is because I work weird hours, O'dark ovlock yo o'dark oclock.... But I do pop in to have a read

1 like

So glad to hear you're feeling well and I'm very sorry to hear about your husband, that must have been tough. Well done on giving up smoking. I gave up 7 years ago when I had bladder cancer so I think that's why it was such a shock. But id smoked for many years and I guess it finally caught up with me. Hope you continue to feel well as I'm sure you will. All the best x

Hello chloe12 .

A warm welcome to the forum. It's so nice to have you. I used Ventolin for a short while but it didn't work for me. Spiriva does though.

It really takes time to get used to having breathing issues. And honestly, you adapt slowly. I know what it's like wondering if you're ever going to feel good again. There will always be good days and bad days. Think of the bad days as recuperation for the good days. Revel in and enjoy the good days (I call them bouncy days) . 😊 I try and use my "recuperation days" to think about what I'd like to do on my next "bouncy day".

Sending warm wishes.

Cas xx 🍀🌞🐝🐞

1 like

Hi Cas, thank you ,I love your post, bouncy days sound good! I know I will get used to it in the end, think I was in denial at first, then it hit me and now I'm trying to come to terms with it. I think its the amount of chest infections I've had that have got me down the most. But its so lovely to read positive posts like yours and it really does make me feel better 😊 I hope you are having lots of bouncy days right now! X

1 like

*HUGS* You will have bouncy days too. 😊🙋🐕

1 like

😀😼👍🙌

Welcome to the site, hope you feel better soon x

1 like

Thank you Shirleyj ! Its a lovely community, feel so welcome already 😊

1 like

Nice to meet you chloe12. You couldn't come to a better place for advice, reassurance and friendship. Every day, though there may be no letters, no phone calls, but my friends are here to include me in their chat, reply to my posts and make me laugh with their jokes. And most of all we all care about each other. Welcome ! Sheila x

1 like

Thank you Sheila! It really is such a welcoming and supportive place. Can't believe how lovely people are. I know I will find help and comfort here 😊

1 like

Welcome Chloe 12.

Best place to learn about this disease and best place for support.

1 like

Thanks so much for the welcome! Hope you doing well.

You may also like...