British Lung Foundation
35,376 members42,742 posts

Back from seeing the consultant.

Lung cancer now confirmed, that is the bad news, the tumor lit up like a Xmas tree on the PET scan.

Good news is:

I had a whole body scan and no other tumors have been found. It is actually in the left upper lobe, not the right as I thought, so I will not have to learn to use my stick left-handed after any surgery.

As I thought, there is no working tissue there, just a void so removal should not make my breathing any worse. I will have to have another lung function test and a heart stress test to make sure I can safely be put under general anesthetic, which the consultant says he thinks I am fit enough for, but they have to check.

The consultant said I can be cured and sounded pretty upbeat about it all, and said things will now move quickly.

Now a little more of that waiting game, for those tests to be carried over the next couple of weeks and meet the surgeon.

68 Replies
oldestnewest

Thanks for the update. I have been thinking of you all morning and am very pleased that there appears to be a positive outcome. :)

6 likes

That all sounds very positive 2greys which is good. I am sorry you have a tumour but at least the doctors say it can be cured which is good news. Traumatic to go through but hopefully with a good result at the end. A big hug for you Bev xx

11 likes

You take care I’m thinking about you xx

3 likes

Wishing you All the Best Postive steps, glad you have a Proactive Consultant. All Good Wishes.😀👍💕

3 likes

Hello 2Ggreys, so sorry to hear you have lung cancer, but so pleased that things are not as bad as first thought, thank god. Wishing you all the luck in the world 2greys. Everything is looking positive and that must be a big relief. God Bless you and get well soon ✋️😊

7 likes

Glad it is contained - better news than anticipated I would think. Sounds like they are on the ball and I hope all goes quickly and smoothly for you. Please let us know how you get on. Wishing you a great positive outcome.

Love cx

5 likes

Good luck, i hope everything goes well for you. my fingers are crossed for you. x

2 likes

It looks like you are in good hands there......sending you my best wishes for a speedy recovery.

2 likes

Mr 2 g's this all sounds very doable in fact given the dead space this cancerous beast appears to be feeding on blood alone,the Pet scan is quite positive in a strange sort of fashion and with no spread to other locations or lymph nodes you hopefully feel a wee bit more positive and that this could be a swift hatchet job with no need for chemo or similar procedures.i do hope that you can continue with your upbeat and positive attitude and put this rather nasty episode in your life to bed once and for all.............best wishes mate...Skis and Scruffs

14 likes

Totally agree and I wish 2Greys all the luck in the world. I hope all goes well and he has a speedy recovery.

I too have been waiting to hear and am thinking of you with wherever you have to go through.

It all sounds really positive 2greys so that’s a good thing. Xxxxx

6 likes

Good luck and hope everything goes fine for you

2 likes

Wishing you all the best xxx

2 likes

Am thinking of you take care xx

2 likes

Wishing you all the luck in the world. I hope that you have a very speedy and trouble-free recovery. Take care of yourself. XXX

4 likes

Hi. I've just written what you said, virtually word for word. Please don't think that I was attempting to plagiarize you, lol! 😁

1 like

best of luck x

1 like

Fingers and toes crossed for you xx

1 like

2greys

Really hope all goes well for you

good luck and very best wishes to you.

Music

1 like

Wishing you a very speedy recovery and very best wishes for the future.Love Sandy blues x

1 like

I'm so sorry to hear this 2greys and wish you the very best - especially during the next few weeks. P

1 like

This sounds good news about the news which was bad news, 2greys. Look after yourself as the tests and checks progress and very positive good wishes for the removal of the unwanted visitor. Thinking of you. xxx

6 likes

2Greys, you are correct in that things will move very fast now, which is what you want. Once your top left lobe is removed, your remaining left lobes can slightly increase in size to fill the void, especially the middle lobe. Once all is said and done, it is conceivable you actually may breathe slightly better than at present. Godspeed and Best Wishes, judg69

3 likes

Glad to hear that the consultant was upbeat and that you will get the treatment you need soon. Lots of us will be sending you hugs and support through the times to come.

3 likes

It Seems so unfair that you now have cancer after all the hard work you have done to get so fit whilst having a severe COPD condition, however, on the plus side, that fitness will now be a great help towards any surgery and recovery.

Respect and very best wishes for a positive outcome, and hoping to hear further news that all has gone well.

John.

4 likes

Good news 2Greys. A lot of positives there. I can now uncross my fingers slightly.

2 likes

Hoping everything goes well and as quickly as possible for you.

1 like

Thank you so much for sharing with us,your BLF family,the outcome of your Doctor/Consultant appointment. You make it sound as if you are able to accept the diagnosis, and then do whatever tests are needed,so you can" get going" on this part of your recovery. I truly admire your strength of character and sheer determination to go ahead with the operation. You obviously have weighed up the possible positives against any negatives. A brave thing ,to have to even consider. That's why in my opinion,you have waited long enough now and I'm certain your determination will help you throughout the next part of your journey! May the powers that be,look after you and dont forget if you are able,do keep us all up to date please.

Wishing you the VERY best.

4 likes

That's a smashing/ lovely response.

1 like

Bad news yes.....but there is good news it can be treated, they can do a lot more these days and if the consultant is positive regards the treatment then there's no reason why you shouldn't be to ' Where there's hope there's life ' . Having kept yourself fit and healthy will go a long way to your recovery.

We will all be rooting for you and we hope you will keep us updated along the way, so we may keep giving you words of encouragement and as much support as is needed.

Xxxx

3 likes

Really pleased for you that the possible outcome now looks far more positive than feared. ;-) Mx

2 likes

A hands up, for the first time in a long time, I fell asleep this afternoon, instead of going back to work. Yes , I shall keep you all updated.

I think the next step will be the lung function and stress tests and all being okay followed by being booked in for surgery. I am starting to feel a lot more upbeat, at the same time as feeling rather drained and grateful that the tumor had not grown in the remaining part of my good working tissue, in the of the lower lobes. I will never complain about being short of breath again. I would just like this episode to be over and to get back to "normal" ?? life.

Thank you all, again.

11 likes

I’ve also been waiting to hear. I’m sorry you’ve had this diagnosis but your consultant seems confident of a good outcome. I do hope your lung function and heart stress test results are favourable so that you can have a GA. All the best and do please let us know any further developments.

2 likes

Wishing you all the best. I like your positive, practical attitude. Lilian xxxxx

2 likes

my hope is for a quick recovery for you 2greys very brave person

2 likes

Sir, your attitude is what lends light to us all. Keep us abreast (?) of all the progress.

1 like

Well good news really. I am pleased it can be surgically removed.

Take good care 2greys x

Fran

1 like

If anyone can beat this you can, with your strength and positivity! You were one of the members last year who spurred me on to getting off my bum and move it! All the best to you!

2 likes

Good news 2greys, I hope all goes smoothly and your on the mend in no time xx

1 like

2greys, you don't know me but I know you. I always pay close attention anytime to post something, or respond to another's post. I thought about, and prayed for you all weekend. I'm thankful that this was caught early and the prognosis appears to be very good. When I was diagnosed with severe emphysema last year, and joined this group, you were one of the folks that gave me good information and made me feel much more hopeful (having read all the doom and gloom on the internet). Today, I'm chugging along and feel pretty good. I have two small nodules (2mm) in my lung. I was told last April to wait a year and have another CAT scan. That's coming up in a couple months. I am terribly worried, but less so having read your post. Take care.

I am relieved and happy that it is contained. Very good news indeed. xx

2 likes

2greys, I will be thinking of you....

xx

Meg

All good wishes 2greys. 🙂 xx

Wishing you the best of luck 2greys xx

I know it’s not good news having lung cancer but it is good news that it hasn’t spread and is treatable, onwards and upwards 2greys, will be thinking of you. Carole 😘👍

Wishing you a quick recovery 2greys!

Hi 2greys, shocking news that you have cancer but truly marvelleous that it can be cured, you have a fantastic positive attitude which can take you through all of this. Good luck with the next step xx

Great that it is only the one tumour, which will be surgically removed soon. Don't worry if the tests rule out general anaesthetic; I had mine done with spinal block and mild sedation (wasn't aware of any part of operation, as I requested). That was early 2009 and thankfully have had no probs since. Good luck with everything and please keep us updated xx

That's good news.....I hope it all goes well for you 2Greys xx

Good things come from bad...you sound a pretty positive person and that is half the battle. Luck my friend. You are in my prayers xx

Sounds quite positive . Wishing you well with all of your treatment and tests. Take care.

Although a diagnosis of lung cancer isn’t good news, it all sounds very positive in your case. Good luck.

Wishing you a good outcome! You have a great positive attitude to life so I'm sure you'll get through this ok. xx Moy

Very sorry to hear that your fears have been confirmed but it's good to know that it's confined to just one place, and to know that it isn't a fully functioning bit of your anatomy that you have to part with. Operations aren't much fun but looking beyond that you're starting from a good place in terms of 'fitness' and your positive attitude so the prognosis is good. You'll probably find the waiting time will pass very quickly now that cancers been diagnosed and much of it will taken up by various pre op tests and consultations. Wishing you all the best.

Now a positive action plan should put your mind at rest. I hope all goes well with you and that you're soon back to feeling well. Sheila x

Despite the bad news you sound very positive and upbeat, having that sort of attitude towards the condition can only help, wishing you all the very best.

Hi I'm pleased the results are as positive as they can be given the cancer diagnosis. Sounds like you're in very good hands. I hope it all goes well and at some point you can put all this behind you. Take care xx

1 like

Thanks for letting us know. You are always so positive, I truly admire you x x x

Thank god you have had some positive news keep strong warrior x

Wishing you well and best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Wishing you the best of luck both with the surgery and recovery.

This is the news I was waiting for, isolated and very operable. It is also the attitude I expected, upbeat and positive. Having followed your posts on many subjects I am in no doubt that there will be a good outcome. Just keeping fingers crossed that they will get on with it ASAP and you will soon be in speedy recovery - my best wishes to you.

Wishing you good luck for your op and a speedy recovery ... Seems like your consultant feels quite confident that once removed fingers crossed all should be well so I'm so pleased for you 2greys..bet that was a long day awaiting the results ..enjoy getting back to 'normal life 'as u put it as I totally understand that x😊

Not a diagnosis anyone would want but about the best prognosis anyone could hope for in the cirumstances! I think you're right to be feeling upbeat and positive now. Best foot forward and you'll be done & dusted with cancer in no time. I know you can't wait to get your life back and that prospect will keep you going through the surgery. You might want to start thinking about your next boat trip!

Although some bad news. The general outlook seems very positive. Wishing you a speedy recovery. Jackie

Very best wishes you to, you give a lot of support to people on here and I am so glad you are getting all the best wishes and support you deserve. x

All the best- good luck with the stress test etc - V. interested to hear about that- as they don't like to put me under either. We are all thinking about you.

Sorry 4 late responce to your post 2 greys.As always you have all of us thinking of you and the other lady with lung cancer.And of course one thing with you which i think is both your resilence and practicality.You have not even moaned about using your stick with your left hand.it is now monday so if u do manage 2 c my txt that will start my day nicely.You have ben proactive about ur own health and r fit enough for anesthetics etc.xxtake care2greys.helenxx

You may also like...