British Lung Foundation
35,893 members43,191 posts

Can UV Light Fight the Spread of Influenza?

Safe for human exposure, far-UVC light may offer low-cost solution to eradicating airborne viruses in indoor public spaces. Continuous low doses of far ultraviolet C (far-UVC) light can kill airborne flu viruses without harming human tissues, according to a new study at the Center for Radiological Research at Columbia University Irving Medical Center (CUIMC). The findings suggest that use of overhead far-UVC light in hospitals, doctors’ offices, schools, airports, airplanes, and other public spaces could provide a powerful check on seasonal influenza epidemics, as well as influenza pandemics.

newsroom.cumc.columbia.edu/...

6 Replies
oldestnewest

Well I guess we should be grateful for anything which will counter viruses 2G, but UV light isn't good for macular degeneration. Having recently been diagnosed with early AMD my consciousness has been raised about this.

macular.org/ultra-violet-an...

2 likes

Well that is not good I am sorry to hear that.

Again I am fortunate in that, although I have and do get exposed to UV via my parrots "avian sunlamps", I am extremely short sighted and the lenses in my glasses "spread out" incoming light as opposed to concentrating it. My lenses actually create a dark shadow which makes what I see through them a lot darker than in reality (move over Mr Magoo).

2 likes

Well as I said, the AMD is early and it's the dry kind which isn't quite as bad. And of course Im hoping it won't develop too much. The optician said I should eat lots of leafy greens and keep out of UV/blue light as much as possible. I take a pill with lutein and bilberry in it which is recommended.

Interesting that you say your lenses spread out incoming light - do you think then that with long sighted people, their lenses would concentrate the light which might make them - me - more at risk of AMD?

Avian sunlights - you learn something every day :D

2 likes

Many years ago at a Chris Bonnington lecture he jokes about how the Tibetans found it odd that he, using a hanky, kept snot in his pocket whereas they, the Tibetans, blew it out over the ground. It seemed that they knew the power of UV light broke down the virus contained in the snot.

Sorry about the description but that is how he described it to the audience - great times, great lectures and great memories from the days I could climb to dizzy heights (albeit with a fag hanging out of my mouth!)

Maybe the professors have caught up with the Tibetan people!

5 likes

It is (for me) a well known fact that hanging washing out in the sun sterilises them.

6 likes

A week or two ago I sent tweets of the medical science results I.E. flu germ ARE air-born and U/V lights KILL the germs.

2 likes

You may also like...