British Lung Foundation
35,324 members42,687 posts

Will we, one day, be able to "3D Print" new new lungs using our own cells thus negating any rejection issues?

Using a new technique they call ‘in-air microfluidics’, University of Twente scientists succeed in printing 3D structures with living cells. This special technique enable the fast and ‘on-the-fly’ production of micro building blocks that are viable and can be used for repairing damaged tissue, for example. The work is presented in ‘Science Advances’.

utwente.nl/en/news/!/2018/2...

7 Replies
oldestnewest

Now that would really be something 2greys. Xxx

Very interesting possibilities but very sadly feel it is a long way off just yet xxx

WOW, most certainly for the next generation- how exciting! Thank you for the very interesting link,much appreciated.

Thank you 2greys.

Just so a programme on French news about the success of immunotherapy in lung cancer. I wonder if they could you immunotherapy in lung diseases? Like mine 😃 a cystic disease! Well I will ask next time!!

I asked my son who has just bought himself a 3-D printer if he could print me a new set of lungs! "Only in plastic mum!" Lol!

putting my order in now - 2 new lungs please, and maybe a new heart, liver could do with a freshen up and oh ok throw in a couple of new kidneys - right that's me sorted - thanks xxx

I just watched a video on line about this. They kind of hinted it could be available in ten years...from what I remember. The good part too is that they made reference to how many more lives it would save as they can be made in a timely manner as well. This really seems to be the answer to our prayers.....along with those with so many other organ diseases.

You may also like...